Author Topic: Accomodation on mathraki island  (Read 5486 times)

Offline james-a

Accomodation on mathraki island
« on: June 26, 2008, 07:18:45 PM »
Hi everyone

I have recently visited Arillas with family for a week and I must say was blown away by it and the surrounding area. I am 23 and was really looking for a relaxing holiday with a bit of traditional greece but like a few bars and good quality food with a bit of drinking in the evening. I have done the clubbing and all that scene in the med before and was a bit bored of it all, but arillas gave me exactly what I was looking for, real greece, with a few bars and good restaurants in the evening with some nice villages near by to visit. Will be coming back to the region in the next few weeks on a different sort of trip, backpacking. I will be staying in the area for 2 weeks and have accomodation arranged for this and then have an additional week to explore other areas. I  wondered if anyone knew if there is accomodation available on mathraki or the 2 other islands close to it, low cost would be better or even camp sites if these are available?

Also does anyone know how to get to mathraki. I have read that you can get a boat from san stephanos but is this true?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
Re: Accomodation on mathraki
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 08:19:16 PM »
You can get the tourist boat or the local supply boat from San Stefanos harbour, neither operate daily but run frequently throughout the week.

I recommend going on the supply boat just as we did if you like the traditional side of things, its packed with food and consumables for the island and is hardly modern but nonetheless great fun and you have a good chance of being the only passengers besides the local crew.

We didn't actually go to Mathraki but Erikousa (Wednesdays) which is a little farther out being the most northern point of Greece, you can see it from San Stef not sure about Arillas. The fare there was 7€ per person each way and took about an hour, about half way into the trip the crew told us to go sit outside which we did to be greeted by a family of Dolphins jumping in and out of the water and guiding the boat, I think there war about four of them. My Mum was awestruck and I only realised when retuning how rare it is to see them like that in the wild, many locals have never seen them, if we had been on the Tourist boat we would probably have missed them.

Erikousa had the most amazing beach and water, so still and clear and even has a small reef which is great for snorkeling, it looks like they had just finished building a very nice hotel www.hotelerikousa.gr which I had lunch at and can recommend. The island made Arillas look built up so if you really want to get away from it all this is perfect, there is even a very modern looking Heli Pad on the island so starting to wonder at what type of holidaymakers they are targeting, if you fancy a climb you can walk up to it. Click on the link the helipad is just below the second  'o' in Hotel Erikousa on the front page.

I would love to spend a chilled out week on this island.

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 08:51:07 PM »
Thanks for the posts James and Joe. Really interesting. Jen and me will try a trip to Erikousa in July if we can fit it in, or definitely in September. It sounds idyllic.

The hotel website is impressive too. Really well constructed and easy to navigate.

Thanks again
Phil

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 11:23:43 PM »
Joe, do you think the heli pad could be for those who live in the States  and have property on the island?
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 02:49:05 PM »
I asked at work, its necessary for emergancies apparently. I thought they may be doing Helicopter transfers from the airport (not as expensive as you might think in other countries) but it appears I was wrong.

Offline Elliott

• Elliott Langmead Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 04:10:34 AM »
James,
you can get either the tourist boat or supply boat as Joe says. Mathraki is the first stop and takes approx 40 mins. My fiance and I went there for a day during our recent holiday and there are 2 or 3 small buildings overlooking the beach, which, as far as we could make out, appeared to be apartments. There was another couple who travelled over on the same boat as us and they appeared to be backpacking. They eventually went into one of the apartments after talking to someone there, so I can only assume that they rented a room.
Just to make you aware though, the island was extremely quiet while we were there, so depending what exactly you're looking for, it may be a little too 'sedate' for you.

I hope this has been helpful.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
Re: Accomodation on mathraki island
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 01:49:06 PM »
Very informative Elliot, it was worth knowing that in case we want a boat trip.  thanks
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Booking.com