Author Topic: Olympic holidays.  (Read 17081 times)

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
Olympic holidays.
« on: June 30, 2008, 08:37:52 PM »
Phew...has anyone looked at the Olympic holidays website recently?

I looked at their details about Arillas and read that the estimated coach transfer time is 3-4hrs...smelling a rat I decided to check the private taxi transfer price....it's a whopping 151 euros (£120)!!!!.

I thought that the transfer times were much improved these days?  Do you think it really is still a 3-4hrs transfer nowadays or are they trying to push people into using the private transfer???

Pity the poor first-timers who don't know that the taxi is 45-50euros each way.

Eileenxx

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
Re: Olympic holidays.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 10:44:56 PM »
Eileen
We are traveling with Olympic in two weeks time.
Phil & Jen have posted previously that transfer times can be long with Olympic.
They were droped off in Sidari to await another vehicle to pick them up to continue to Arillas.
Hope that this has changed but just to be on the safe side we will book a taxi or enquire as to the route for transfer before we board the coach,we will then have the option of going, or geting a taxi (45-50 euro)
Dont fancy a 3-4 hour ride around the Island following a flight that lands at 3.20am

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 11:17:18 PM »

Dont fancy a 3-4 hour ride around the Island following a flight that lands at 3.20am

Quite right too John.  I remember the first time we stayed at the  Mathraki we had booked with Olympic.  After arriving at stupid-o'clock the transfer took just under three hours because like you say we were transferred onto a smaller coach in Sidari.  Never again...after that we picked up our hire car at the airport.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the bus is going straight to Arillas.

Eileenx

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 12:54:59 AM »
Thanks Eileen
You may find that you keep hiting the wrong key with your fingers crossed. lol

Offline robinm

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 10:57:10 AM »
We are arriving on the 19th July at 5.00am with Olympic and I also saw the transfer time of 3-4 hours - I suppose we are in for a scenic tour of Corfu!!

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 11:03:13 AM »
I was wondering if it helps to cut the cost down a bit, picking up the transfer coach, getting to Sidari hopping off and then taking a taxi... It might work out cheaper and be 1/2 the price from the airport and quicker or I suppose it might not be worth it depending how long they take getting to Sidari.  All in all,I think I would start saving for the taxi fare  getting from the airport to Arillas... it doesnt really matter so much going back, it would be worth it.  50 euros seems a lot for a taxi but I live near Gatwick and it can cost £40 to get to Heathrow from here.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 11:16:49 AM »
Hi Sue,

It's bound to keep costs down, but ever so slightly I think.  For not much more Olympic could charter the Sidari mini-bus from the airport instead of Sidari, but Olympic are only thinking about their profits.  I call it exploitation.  They have no scruples in asking customers to suffer a coach journey for 3-4 hours for a journey that should only take 1 hour at maximum.  Funnily enough they have no scruples in asking the same customer for a 50% mark up on the taxi fare.  Exploitation indeed.

This surely must also have a knock on effect for bookings in Arillas.  Fine for those of us who have been before and are determined to return, but first time visitors (especially to Corfu) must think twice.  I know that fairly often I'm asked to recommend a resort within a reasonable distance to the airport.  Of course I always say that Arillas is...if they get a taxi!!

My oh my I've started the day off on a rant. ;-)

Eileenxx

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 05:24:08 PM »
Rant away Eileen. You've hit a nail on the head...

First timers will definitely be put off by the expeience of a night flight, then being dumped at 7am in Sidari, then waiting by the roadside with no idea of how long the minbus will take to arrive, let alone get to Arillas. That was our first ever experience and we never have and never will do it again!

John and Dot - just get the taxi. We have visions of you both at 7.30 am in Sidari, waiting for Angela to arrive. Worn out, fed up and wishing harm on Olympic Holidays! The return journey is not so bad, and will match up to your flights - as Joe said. And you can spend the time reminiscing over another fabulous holiday.

Booking through this website may even save a few euros - I think it is a tad dearer to simply dive in one at the airport.

Best wishes to all
Phil

Offline LPO

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 08:21:43 PM »
Hi

Last year we got a taxi from the airport and although he said he knew where Arillas was he didn't and we got lost.  It was dark and late and our directions not very good.

I think it is best to book one through the web site, thats what we are going to do this year.  The coach jouney can be long and i think the 50 euros is definately worth it.

8)

Offline lynwill53

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 12:05:18 PM »
I have booked with Olympic and am taking their coach transfer (estimated at 2-2 and a half hours)

Will report on accuracy of this when I get back in Sept. Taxi not really an affordable option for a solo traveller.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 12:09:53 PM »
Someone might be able to help you out with a taxi/mini bus share if you leave your arrival date and time.  Perhaps they could fit in one person and would appreciate "help" with the cost.

Offline Baldy Barry

• Forum Fanatic
    • myspace.com
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 01:54:57 PM »
Luckily ther last twice we've been it's been straight there with T.C.
But my mate is booked with Olympic and he's a bit worried about a 3 hour drive.
Hope it's stright there for him !
Hope I don't burn !

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 05:15:44 PM »
Olypic Transfer times.
The Bad News
We had about a two and a half hour transfer
Rhoda,Sidari and then dropped off last to get a taxi to Arillas got there about 6am.

The return was booked for a 11.45pm pick up but that passed eventualy arriving at 12.30, then picked up at the Galini. the taxi then went to Sidari where we waited for a coach to the airport.

The Good news
By all accounts Olympic was about to take transfers straight to Arillas as from 28th July 08
this info came from the horses mouth

The Bad news
Would that be Direct or Via Rhoda and Sidari?
The mystery continues
hope someone else can throw some light on this matter.

Offline robinm

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 08:41:05 PM »
We were with Olympic when we were in Arillas in July. We left Corfu airport at 10.30am on the 19th July and were taken straight to Arillas and arrived at 11.45am -  the coach went on to Sidari. On the way back we were picked up first and then onto Sidari to pick up there. Transfer time about 2 hours in total.

I think the transfer times depend on the number of people staying in Arillas and Sidari, If there is a coach full with these 2 resorts there is no real problem. The only thing is you will not find this out until you arrive!

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 08:52:44 PM »
When I first saw this I thought it was for the Olympics in Bejing... Doh!!!!

Booking.com