Author Topic: Walks  (Read 62832 times)

riggers

Re: Walks
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 11:04:31 PM »
Yes amazes me too. When i was out and about early doors i had Arillas all to myself.Well there was the bin men and a jogger panting for breath.  :)

riggers..

Offline justjen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 11:15:30 PM »
Know what you mean Erja, did a fair bit of walking in our younger days but now I think twice about going back upstairs! But hey! there is always one of Eggy's donkeys.....

love Jen

Offline DronnyDave

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 02:22:49 PM »
Sorry to butt in on this post, BUT:-

Can anyone please tell me how long it would take us to walk to San Stefanos, and is it a nice walk.

We are not big walkers, and prefer to spend most of our time lazing on the beach. Just occasionally, especially if the weather is not particularly good, do we like to go for a wander.

Do we have to go along the road, or is there a path? If we have to follow the road will there be much traffic, and is it genrally safe.

We arrive on the 28 July, so realise that it is the height of the season and likely to be busier.
Any help will be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dave

Offline DronnyDave

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 02:27:32 PM »
I've learn't something very quickly.

I should have looked further down the page of postings, I think most of my questions have been answered in another post.

Sorry.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 01:24:08 PM »
I cant find Mikes old walking pole anywhere so had to buy him a new one..... the thing is its too long for the case now whereas the other one fitted... DOH!    If I wrapped it in its original packing and strapped it to the case do you think it will be ok, you dont think they will think its a lethal weapon do you?  I dont know what to do, dont really want to take it on board as hand luggage.  He likes a walking stick as he is a bit wobbly walking sometimes so did wonder if he could use it like that on the plane but I think that will cause more hassles as he goes through the xray thingy, he gets stopped and frisked more often than most anyway. :-)

Any ideas!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 12:22:29 PM »
Well we did our regulation walks...  found a pole on the way too... a very useful broom handle which was thrown away and came in very useful- Mike had his "professional" walking stick... 

Anyway, we tried out some new walks... suggested by Eileen and they were great.

1.  We walked up behind the Galini, through the olive groves and before you come to the little hill before the Church, turn right, keep going and you come to a junction, turn left and it takes you to the back of the church and on to San Stef/Arillas... nice easy one that was!

2.   Go Past the Amourada and carry on to Monas Boutique, turning left, carry on round the goat walk...at the top of the bend there is a single goat shed on the right turn there, directly after that is a  track, (dont go straight on)   -  (a new house is being built on the right) carry on there,past a house on the left right up to the top... take a right, then a left and you are then on the San Stef road.... we came back down the cliff path... quite a handy shortcut and cuts out that hill past Annas and useful if the cliff path is muddy.

3.  Go out of Arillas past the Tria Adelphia and Eileens place, Villa Linnakis right up the hill and definately out of Arillas, you think its going on forever... You come to a junction left is for Kavvadaddes/Agros and right for Afionas and Ag. Georgious.  Take a right and follow the road and take the signposts for Afionas... super views en route so dont forget your camera!  It is a very long way round but it is a satisfying walk and you dont have that horrible hill to climb going the other way, you come down it instead!  The added bonus is that you go past the Night Owl so you can stop for a drink or something to eat.  We would definately do that one again as it was a good walk.

Hope this helps and gives you some ideas of where to go if you haven't tried them out yet.

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 07:16:46 PM »
Does the Feta pie run from the beach to the bakery in the midday sun for your good lady count? It felt like 40 minutes, but it was the same route each time, just different taverna for a beer en-route :-)

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 07:35:46 PM »
All these walks are good to read and Wegg, the proud owner of "Walking Boots" has done many of them.

But... For beginners can I offer the following:-
Park on Arillas seafront and a 5 minute stroll will take you to the Malibuu or Coconut where you can sample the wildlife ( Mozzies ) and enjoy chats with the locals.
( George at Malibu or Stammatis at Coconut )

For novices, who don't want to exert themselves I would suggest a shorter walk to Helens Creperie for a crepe ( Hope I've spelt that right ) or the Horizon for a very nice iced coffee in pleasant surroundings.
At this point in time you may want to take your trainers off and rub your feet.
( These walks are hard work donchyerknow)

Out of Arillas I would suggest you park on the land opposite Night Owl. Sometimes it can take 2 minutes to cross the road and get a seat at a table for a refreshing drink, especially welcome after all the exertions you have made.

I have, on occassions, extended my "area" by walking from Bouklis to Akti and, after a small rest continuing on to Costas on the beach where, smiling company. has made it all worthwhile. - Sometimes we strive to go further.
The easiest way for the Rainbow is to aim for their car park and, after running on the spot for 3 minutes, make for the bar for a glass of water.
( water? - Did I really say Water? )
So much to do , so little time.
Cheers
Negg.

ps -I drove to Kaloudis once. - Does that count?

Offline Fran

• Arillas regular visitor
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 10:59:03 PM »
Ok, a walk to do either when necessity (and alcohol consumption) demand it or if you like big hills!

Arillas to Kavvadades, back roads...

Take the road out of Arillas, past Tria Adelphia on right, the car shop and Nikos Apartments on left. Take the next left (past the goats). Follow this road around to the right and up the hill. Continue for approx 10 mins. There is a bit of a t-junction and continue straight on (or bear right depending on your outlook) continue up some more hill...and then some more hill... followed by some more hill... although you weave around a bit you basically stay on the same road and come out by Mon Amour.

The whole walk, from seafront to central Kavvadades takes around 45 minutes and, I have to say wasn't my most enjoyable walk on our holiday. That said I image that, it done during the day it might have had more appeal then it did at midnight trying to get to bed...

We also did this route by car and made the decision that it was not the route to take in a tiny hire car with more then 1 person when you have a perfectly good main road to use!

Fran

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 11:19:28 PM »
Ok, a walk to do either when necessity (and alcohol consumption) demand it or if you like big hills!

Arillas to Kavvadades, back roads...

... although you weave around a bit you basically stay on the same road and come out by Mon Amour.

Fran

C/Mon Fran - Admit it ! - You and Tim only weaved around a bit due to excess alcohol.

Negg - ( Or loving "Pop" and "good" example to your new Husband. )

Offline PPMMAN

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2008, 02:05:48 PM »
Take your swiss army knife and make your own walking pole from the vast amount of bamboo very theraputic lol

Offline PPMMAN

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2008, 02:18:14 PM »
PS i left 2 walking sticks in Elenis  lux appts Pergola if any one needs them one with special ouzo attachment

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2008, 09:37:18 PM »
I left my metal broom handle behind the telegraph pole by the white metal gate at the side of the Bardis Sun Hotel... if you use it please take it back as I can use it next year! :-)

riggers

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2008, 09:40:11 PM »
I'll check to see it is still there Sue.  :)

riggers...

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2008, 09:43:21 PM »
I bet its not and some oic has it!!!  :-)

Booking.com