Author Topic: FAKE EUROS!  (Read 27480 times)

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
FAKE EUROS!
« on: July 11, 2008, 05:20:20 PM »
I have just read this :

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - The number of fake euro banknotes is on the rise, the European Central Bank (ECB) said on Thursday, with the 50 euro note the preferred choice of counterfeiters.
(Advertisement)

The ECB said the number of fake euro notes seized by authorities had jumped more than 15 percent in the first six months of the year.

A total of 312,000 dodgy notes were taken out of circulation in the first half of 2008, the highest since 2003 and up from 265,000 in the first half of 2007.

The ECB said 36 percent of all seizures were 50 euro notes, 33 percent were 20's and 21.5 percent of recoveries were 100 euro notes.

The Frankfurt-based central bank estimates that there are around 11.5 billion legitimate euro notes if circulation following its introduction in 2002.

It revealed on Wednesday that as much of 20 percent of all euro notes are in countries where it is not even legal tender.

"When the figures...are compared with the number of genuine euro banknotes in circulation, the quantity of counterfeits is very small indeed," the ECB said

I wouldnt know a real one from a fake one... how can you tell?
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
Re: FAKE EUROS!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 05:42:36 PM »
Have a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_banknotes

Rule of thumb would be to check the black magnetic thread in the middle of the note that is seen only against a light source. It shows the denomination of the note, along with the word "euro".

Other than that I have no idea :)
Life is good ;)

Offline england

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 06:50:02 PM »

Offline graham

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 12:08:52 AM »
As a rule of thumb, if you get locked up for using them, there's a good chance they were fake! Sorry, couldn't resist it!
A woman has the last word in any argument, anything a man says after that is the start of a new argument!

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 07:30:48 PM »
As a rule of thumb, if you get locked up for using them, there's a good chance they were fake! Sorry, couldn't resist it!

Oh Graham
Take it seriously ! - I have and my printing press is now switched off.

But.........  I always remember , many years ago, the old lady at Asda in England who handed over a £20 note to the cashier only to be told it was a forgery.
Asda then had to consficate it! - Bang went a part of her pension.
( She told them it was part of the cash the Post Office gave her that morning )

Cheers
Negg

Booking.com