Author Topic: Fantastic people  (Read 9405 times)

Offline willis

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Fantastic people
« on: July 25, 2008, 10:53:12 PM »
It won't be news to most of you when I say that the people of Arillas are fantastic. I've got particular reason to say it this time though.

Last Sunday, just after seeing Eggy on the sea front, I went to the Coconut to watch the finale of the Open golf. I had had a lazy morning after a heavy night, then a few hours on the beach. I sat watching the golf for about 1.5 hours, nursing one pint. I then decided to get another half. I was speaking to Hannah at the bar, whilst getting the beer. Suddenly, I could barely see, then double vision set in. I couldn't see the water that Hannah gave me. When I found it and picked it up, it shook all over the place.

Hannah and Costas made me lie down, applied ice, gave me salt and sugar and took my pulse. After I recovered a bit Costas drove me back to the Horizon. From there, Marinos and his uncle Nikos looked after me, feeding me juice and water, and keeping an eye on me. Apparently most of Corfu's medical services were on alert. Once I recovered I was cooked food to order to make sure that I got what I needed.

What more can I say they were all fantastic. Hopefully the problem was nothing, just related to sun and lack of food (I am having a check up on Wednesday). However, if it had been, I couldn't have been looked after more. I think it is a good example of how the people are in the town. It was nothing to do with money or business, they where simply looking after their customer/friend.

PS I didn't pay for the beer that I didn't have!!     
Nick

Offline gaye

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Fantastic people
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 10:59:43 PM »
fantastic willis and a true indication of how warm and caring the people of Arrillas are! Hope all goes well on Wednesday
gaygo

Offline Mike and Debbie

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 12:22:17 AM »
warms the heart arfter the recent AB thread
M&D
[link=http://www.caribbeanmag.com/cd/vc/][image noborder]http://www.caribbeanmag.com/cd/Corfu/200807281230_101.gif[/image][/link][link=http://www.caribbeanmag.com/member/tips/home/15/Bahamas.html]Bahamas Trip Reports[/link]

riggers

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 12:29:18 AM »
Hi Willis.

I hope all is fine for you with your check-up on wednesday.

Yes the people of Arillas are very caring and friendly. (not just after your money). I have seen this many times before, the help they have give.

riggers...

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 12:54:12 AM »
Thanks for sharing that with us Nick. Last year when we were at the Horizon the couple in the next room to us, had some terrible news and had to fly back home. Mary and Marinos were brilliant with the care and help they gave the couple.

Some people back home say we are mad to do our own travel arrangements, because we would not have a rep if something went wrong. How wrong can the be. I know that if we had any problem at all, we would get lots of help.

I hope you are OK now.

Terryw

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 02:07:35 AM »
I remember you telling us about that couple last year Terry.  We are a bit worried this year as Mikes days is in hospital once again, the 2nd time in a month... this seems to be a regular occurrence and we are hoping that we actually make our holiday this year in 6 wks time, even if we are out there we know we will be helped with flights home etc. so not overly concerned, as every one is so helpful and very kind.

hope you are feeling better Willis!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 02:30:09 AM »
Willis, it was lovely to bump into you in the Horizon. Wish you had been able to stay a bit longer with us all - it was a special moment.

I know how you felt that day, because I have been known to have the same. A tall night, the quiet day after in the heat, and then pass out on the floor. In my case it is low blood pressure. When my dad was 79 he was described by the doctor as having the blood pressure of a sixteen year old and I am exactly the same.

But the point is how safe you are in Arillas. I am not surprised by the way our friends Kostas and Hannah looked after you. Any of our Greek hosts would have too. I rattle on about it, but it is the people who make Arillas what it is. And your story proves it. I rest my case....

Take care and good luck
Phil

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 09:38:53 AM »
What a brilliant story! Sounds just like I have always believed the people in Arillas would react if anyone had a funny turn.

Thank you for sharing Nick and I hope you find that you are ok when you go for your check up :)
Life is good ;)

Offline Marika

• Forum Fanatic
  • With love!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 12:09:25 AM »
I agree absolutely with you Nick!

The people are friendly, warm and caring in Arillas and in San Stefanos.
I come now since 8 years and every year I had something :( 
Very bad but true. I don't know why!
And I can't remember that I get no help.
Thick eye, stomach illness, flu,....
Everytime someone was there, and always looked after me.
I felt not alone!
One year I felt so sick one evening, that I thought that I must die!
My friend ordered the doctor, he gave me than an injection.
All the night than was one friend sitting next to me and looked at me
(my friend called another friend, because she must work)
And the next days I get special food (light food) only for me :-) Wow :-)
And my friend was looking at me every second hour or she called me, if I am ok!
How lovely is that :-)
So I can really say, that you are not alone in Arillas and San Stefanos, if you get ill.
And I saw and hear that so many times!
I know, that I will do the same for everybody there too!
Help, where always I can :-) because I know they do the same for me!

Nick, I hope you are well now!
I think it was really too much sun and you forget to drink water.
More you know than on Wednesday, but I am sure there is nothing.
Take care!

Marika x x x x x

www.marika75.webs.com

Offline Marika

• Forum Fanatic
  • With love!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 12:12:48 AM »
And that is only one story from a lot!
I really say "Thank you so much" that I was never alone :-) :-) :-)
Marika x x x

www.marika75.webs.com

Offline sue

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 01:36:22 PM »
they are lovely people
glad you are feeling better

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 04:04:18 PM »
Hope all goes well at the doc's Nick and that it was just a little too much sun and dehydration on the day.
 I must agree that the people of Arillas have always been caring. I remember one year I had a very bad allergic reaction to some mozzie bites on my shoulders, when Olga(Olga's Travel)saw how bad I was she got one her drivers to take me to the hospital explain in Greek what I needed and was seen by a very nice lady doctor who explained to me that I would always get these type of reactions and there would not be much I could do about them, she gave me a few jabs and dressed the areas, the driver waited for us and then took me to the chemists to get a prescription and then back to Arillas, I offered to pay for the journey but Olga would have none of it.

Another experience of Greeks caring was many many years ago whilst on our honeymoon at Cape Sounion, I par took in a few too many metaxas on more than one afternoon, the result was that I felt very poorly and could not muster the energy to go down for dinner,the hotel owners would see my husband alone and ask why?(he probably told them I was a bit hungover)....up they came to my room with a little fresh fruit cocktail water juice tea, a bit embarrassing for me I know but it was so nice to see that they cared.

Ang

Maggie

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 10:33:52 PM »
I'd like to say to anyone who may be ill whilst in Arillas, don't ever worry about having to visit the doctor. I had to go this year, and Dr Papadopolous and his wife, were both on duty. They both speak excellent english, and are very thorough!

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 10:41:20 PM »
Know what you mean Maggie by thorough!!Mrs/Dr Papadopolus was great she saw my problem got a bit concerned, but hey ho a jab and dressing and some special cream would get me sorted...(I am allergic to them  bloody mozzies)and she did, she also explained on how I should claim(though I never did) my costs.
Lucky for me I didnt need a visit this year but I take my hat off to her she was fab..well for me
Ang

Offline M n M

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 09:41:19 PM »
Maggie, I can only agree with your message, last year I had a bad do I even had Dimitris and Philip (Tria) looking after me as well. This year things will be different, I will be crook before I get there :-) but not to worry I have a cunning plan ;-) Mick

Booking.com