Author Topic: First Time to Arillas  (Read 7352 times)

Offline mcdebs

First Time to Arillas
« on: July 28, 2008, 11:15:57 PM »
We are booked to come to Arillas on September 15th for 2 weeks, staying in the Makris Apartments.  We are a little nervous as we have never been to Corfu before, normaly we go to Rhodes to a village called Pefkos but not this year, we wanted to try somewhere new.  September is late in the year for us to be having our main holiday and we were hoping people in here could tell us a little about the temperatures we should expect.  Also, is this end of season?  will places be shut?  What about the mozzies?  I tend to get eaten alive so could do with some top tips for how to keep them away.  Also, what are the Makris apartments like?  are they within walking distance of any shops that sell beer.  We like to have a drink on the balcony/terrace in the evenings.  Hopefully we will make some new friends whilst we are there.

Looking forward to hearing back from some of you.

Deb and Ian

Offline beachbum

• Arillas regular visitor
Re: First Time to Arillas
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 11:27:24 PM »
Hey up
September will be fine, we go in October to avoid the heat!  brilliant place we have stayed at the Makris and it was all good.  There is no way you cannot enjoy your time in Arillas

Cheers have a good one

Beachbum

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 11:32:39 PM »
Hi we go out on the 22nd Sept. always go May and September.  Can't wait as we missed our May holiday as I am nursing a terminaly ill uncle at present.

You will LOVE IT.  We stayed at the Makris a couple of years ago and was impressed with the size of the rooms and the hospitality.  Places normally start to close up at the end of October so there is still alot going on.  Weather can be changable but we always come back with a nice tan.  As for the mozzies I normally get a couple of bites but they hate Mick and leave him well alone.  There is several shops near by that will provide you with your beer and there is a pool bar.  The Makris is set back from the beach, about 10 min walk but its a lovely walk and who cares when you are in Arillas.  Balcony we had was ideal for sitting on watching the world go by, wish I was there now.  Everything is laid back and relaxing, bet you book up again when you come back.  I'm trying to persuade my sister to stop going to Rhodes and try Corfu but she has her own little village she loves, think its called Grennade.

We want feedback on your return, might see you there on your second week.

Jill
Jill XXX

Offline mcdebs

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 12:14:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies!
I am so looking forward to this holiday - first long break without the kids (at last)  Arillas sounds ideal, we just want to relax as we both have rather stressful jobs.  I have been reading up on the best places to eat but happy to see that there don't seem to be any bad places!  Noticed that there was an island close by that you could swim to?  Is that right?  Are there rowing boats or something else that you could use to get out to the island?

Finally (for now) if you have stayed at the Makris apartments - what facilities were there?  Shower with curtain? hot-plate, toaster, kettle?  We have stayed in some places where there was just a hot plate and a small pan - mind you - we be came experts at making hot plate toast with boiled beef tomatoes!

riggers

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 12:25:22 AM »
Hi mcdebs.

I would not chance swimming out to the Island. Hmmm it is a lot further out than you think.
Yes Arillas is perfect for a relaxing break. Once you visit there will be no more Rhodes.

riggers...

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 12:31:59 AM »
I've known a couple of people who have swum to the island.....and lived to tell the tale...
Sandy x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 01:37:04 AM »
Not me Sandy - I sit on the bench and watch....

Have never been in September mcdebs, but will this year for the first time as a now retired ex teacher. Weather will still be warm to hot. Half the forum seems to be going then...

Jen is a martyr to mozzies, and her secret is to wear long light trousers and long sleeves in the early/late evening. Legs up to knees sprayed with Jungle Strength from Boots (50% active ingredient DEET) pop sox and DEET arm bands like designer bracelets. She forgot the armbands once during the last 2 weeks and that was her only bite.

Makris is fine. Everybody says so. We will be at Elena Stella just round the corner. You will love it.

Phil

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 11:28:17 PM »
In our apartment as you went in the door you came straight into the kitchen which was well equiped with crockery, kettle, toaster, fridge and a hob.  To the left was a door into the toilet/shower which worked great, we have been to some apartments where the water pressure is poor.  The second door in the kitchen leads to the bedroom, we always take our grandson so there was 3 single beds a wardrobe with dressing table, plenty of sockets and there was still plenty of room.  There was a balcony which over looked the pool and this was a great plus on a night time.  While we were there the pool was never busy, in fact think we were the only ones that used it.  You should look on the accommodation thread as there are some photos that someone has just posted.

Don't worry you will love it.  Jill
Jill XXX

Offline wayne

• arillas trip 6
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 12:54:24 AM »
regarding the mozzies i always get eaten alive but for the last 2 years i have used avons skin so soft which contains citronella and have had no bites.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 01:49:11 AM »
SkinsoSoft is good but Jen has her regime.

In 2003 she was eaten alive and had 17 two inch (5cm) blisters lanced by the doctor in Arillas. It ruined her holiday and it kept us away for four years. She suffered badly but she didn't show it. All credit to her and the fact she was the one who brought me back here. In case you ever get that wrong forum members, it was her idea.... not anorak's.

What really works for her is 50% DEET spray. Boots Jungle Strength. All over feet and legs up to knees. She also wears DEET armbands like designer jewellery Ha Ha.

But justjen has so far had a fantastic time in Arillas. Just PM and ask. She was more animated talking about September than I have seen for ages. It isn't justphil - philandjen are back on 28 August.

love to all
Phil

Offline Lisa and Steve

• JustLisa
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 09:50:28 AM »
Steve swears by skin so soft.

Offline mcdebs

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 11:31:07 PM »
There are so many "skin so soft" products on the avon website.  Is the dry oil spray the best for repelling the dreaded mozzies? 

This web site is brilliant - can't wait for our holiday now.  Just over 6 weeks till we go.  I've been reading up on the forum messages and have started a list of where we want to go and eat and drink etc.  Do this every year and usually leave the list at home!

Thanks to everyone who has chipped in with helpful comments.  One more question, if the island is too far to swim to can you hire another method of getting there?

Deb and Ian

Offline ash-wolves

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
    • www.myspace.com/ash_wolves89
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 12:33:20 AM »
ahh rhodes! a beatiful island very grey compared to corfu tho.

ive stayed in pefkos too, in fact my mom and dad got married in lindos in st pauls catherdal over look by the acropolis !!!

if any have been there?

ash
Live

The

Dream ! ! !

Offline mcdebs

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 10:08:48 AM »
Our daughter got married at St Paul's bay in Lindos in 2002 which is why we first visited Rhodes (and Pefkos)  We fell in love with the place and went back four times.  Felt like a change this year. 

Dull and overcast here today - feels more like October than July - I need some sunshine and relaxation.  Oh well - off to work to earn the pennies to pay for the holiday!

Offline Baldy Barry

• Forum Fanatic
    • myspace.com
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 10:52:15 AM »
McDebs.
If I remember correctly our son Jack paddled out to the island on a kayak he hired on the beach.
Hope I don't burn !

Booking.com