Author Topic: Beware leonidas  (Read 36232 times)

Offline buzz17

Beware leonidas
« on: July 29, 2008, 05:02:05 PM »
Just a note of caution, stayed at leonidas for 2 weeks.  Absolutly no problems with the apts in general, typical greek and exactly what i expected basic and clean with a varander to drink some ouzo and retsina in the sun. Set in lovely gardens.  The owner leonidas is very friendly and solves any problems as soon as you let him know. 
However i decided to wear a certain top i'd took with me and could not find it, thought maybe i'd made a mistake and forgot to pack it.  As we'd left camera, jewellery and money in there with nothing taken (the couple who were next to us often left things on the balcony table and nothing was taken. Since coming home though i've discovered that the top is not here and another top which i'd actualy worn  and put back into the case ready to re-pack is also gone.  So my only assumption is that the cleaner likes my taste in clothing.  I did not report this as i could not be sure until i'd checked at home.  Please be aware!!!!

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
Re: Beware leonidas
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 05:29:27 PM »
Oh dear, you poor thing, I'm really sorry to hear that.
I don't know the apartments you stayed in I'm afraid so can't really add too much but apart from that it sounds like you had a really good time?
We're hoping to get back in Sept - we were there in May & reading evryone's holiday reports is making me so envious!

What else did you get up to in Arillas?

BeckyB.

Maggie

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:03:56 PM »
I don't like getting involved in these topics, but this has happened to our friends a couple of years ago at these apartments. They had clothing and other small items go missing. It was reported to the rep, but 'nobody new anything about it'.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:23:45 PM »
Devils Advocate here . - ( I love that phrase )

Most appts and Studios etc always keep a healthy supply of bedlinen and towels because any used bedlinen etc can take a week at the laundry.
( Once in a large quantity and has been delivered/collected etc )

I know this because Wegg and I look after a rental Villa now.

So, We had a lovely little story from, another English cleaner, around September last year , I think.
She was in a hurry to do a linen change and, as the guests were hovering around, scooped up all the bed sheets, pillowcases etc and popped them in a black bag.
A week later, when the cleaned items were collected from the laundry, on top of the nicely ironed sheets etc was a very nice short sleeve shirt, duly pressed and folded.
Whoops - Where did that come from?

This nearly happened to Wegg this year and only came to light because she itemises everything that goes to the Laundry so piles it on the floor before it goes into a bag.
( Someone very nearly lost a short sleeve t-shirt !)

On the other side of the coin, the Villa we look after has lost 2 knives and a plastic glass? No Guest has the need to take these away but I have the habit of not looking when I throw scraps away and quite often one of our kniives has ended up on on the compost heap to be found a few days later.

Funny ole game innit?

Cheers
Negg

Offline buzz17

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 09:00:19 PM »
I understand this must happen at times but one t-shirt went from inside the wardrobe and another was in my case.  On the plus side my 700 in euros, camera and watches stayed exactly where i left them.  Also i could have went to Kavos or Sidari so every cloud has a silver lining. LOL
This hasn't spoilt my impressions of Arillas though what a fantastic little resort, Lovely views and restaurants and best of all no english named pubs. Will definitley go back but probably to Tria as Helen and phill where great hosts.

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 09:44:24 PM »
You are right buzz17, but in Benidorm you would have had to lock your underwear up or gone home without any.

The fact that your money and camera were still there says it all and confirms my belief in the honesty of our hosts. Sadly this year there were robberies by outsiders and the details are posted elsewhere. A forum friend was affected by it, so we know that care is still needed.

Everyone blames the cleaners, which is very unfair. Most of them work regularly with the owners and are more trustworthy than the tourists you will meet. We have never used safe boxes etc just simply used a padlock on the bag with our passports and tickets in. But then they could take the whole bag easily!

So glad you experienced our version of Arillas. We can't all be wrong

Phil (Anorak?)

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 09:56:35 PM »
Hi, everyone. Stayed at Leonidas twice and had no problems. Sorry to hear about your missing items,buzz17.
                                       Yammas,   Paul d
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 02:40:43 PM »
Another slant on this is the Albanians (my favorite people)

We went on a couple of Thomas Cook trips and the reps are constantly having stuff swiped off the lines (mostly Sidari) and sometimes by the cleaners. Never electrical stuff or money just clothes. They end up being sold from the back of vans usually with loud speakers. One rep even saw her item and simply bought it back as it was a fav pair of shorts.

I think with clothes, they are sometimes not missed till you get home and are not always new so most people just think what the hell, whereas a camera......

Again as with my other posts, Arillas is a wonderful place, but nowhere in the world is perfect. Just be on your guard as you would at home.

Hope it did not spoil you hols, our troubles didn't, but when you save all year for two weeks it can be damn anoying.

GazCaz

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 03:06:16 PM »
All i can say is we have stayed at the Leonidas twice and had a great time on both occasions with no problems what so ever.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline lil.chipmunk

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 03:08:34 PM »
If anyone wants my clothes they welcome, I'd say they'd be pretty desperate! I never take anything of value and lets face it, there'll be more space for duty free!
However, on a more serious note, it's more un-nerving that they searching around the apartment in the first place, especially if things are being taken from inside wardrobes and not just lying around.

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 04:05:56 PM »
We also have stayed at the Leonidas several times with no problems.

We have however had items of clothing go 'missing', only to find that they are under the bed/blown off the washing line and are 20 yards way in the next appartments/still at home/under the detachable bottom of the suitcase etc, etc.

I am still far happier about the honesty and trustworthiness of the inhabitants and workers in Arillas than here in the UK and will continue to be for many years to come, I'm sure.

Angie

Offline carol2

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 11:33:48 AM »
We too have stayed at Leonidas several times, the last time was however the last time. This was 2 years ago. We were in one studio & our 2 sons & their girlfriends each had a studio.
I suspected after a few days that someone had been "looking" through our things, so one morning before going out I placed items in specific places that had no reason whatsoever to be moved, when we returned late in the afternoon I found my handbag had not only been moved but was now lying open & a £20 note missing from my purse, several items of clothing went missing, including a bra! One son had several packets of cigarettes go missing & both the girls "lost" t-shirts.
I mentioned all this & several other incidents to the rep, he returned later to tell me that Leonidas & Eleni said I was "mistaken".
I also requested that the children of the cleaner be asked not to enter any of our studios as I had walked into 1 of my sons studios thinking he was there only to find the cleaners son playing on my sons computer game, which he switched off guiltily, losing my son a lot of data he had saved, plus the cleaners daughter was in the bathroom spraying perfume.
Also there were 2 girls staying in 1 of the studios, it turned out they lived not far from us back home, they left a week before us, when they got home they texted me to say they must of left 2 shirts behind, could I bring them home & they would pick them up, needless to say no-one had seen them!
I decided not to pursue anything as we return to Arillas every year & did not want to create hostility!
I was also reticent to report it on this forum at the time as I knew people would be quick to defend.
I know no-one wants to believe these things go on but I also know that I wasn't "mistaken"       
I will say that it didn't put me off Arillas but it has made me become a little more aware.   
Get the beers in!

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 11:42:42 AM »
The first time we came to Arillas we stayed at Leonidas, whilst the accommodation and Leonidas and his wife were faultless, there was a couple and their daughter staying next to us.  The teenage daughter said loads of her clothes had gone missing, and a couple further down said money had been taken.  So it looks like unfortunately, there is some truth in this.

Sharon x

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 11:47:18 AM »
The problem with this is that it is all very well trying to be careful with money, cameras and jewellery etc but when you go on holiday you don't expect to have to lock up your clothes!! I hope Leonidas sees this and does something or they may find they have not many visitors next year.
Sandy x

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 04:44:01 PM »
The more this is raised the better in my view. Its one thing to think that somewhere is heaven on earth (Arillas closer than most) with people too afraid to speak out against the forum. But in todays ecconomic climate, it will not take much for some to be put off by these comments especially if people think nothing is being done and those who are "mistaken" are hounded. Im sure many have no problems what so ever, but for a cleaner to take their children into someones room and use their stuff is an utter disgrace. I'm sorry, its bang out of order. Well done buzz17 and carol2, I for one support you.

Booking.com