Author Topic: Beware leonidas  (Read 36194 times)

Offline lynwill53

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
Re: Beware leonidas
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 11:58:26 AM »
I was pretty shocked to find this thread as I have never had anything taken in nearly 30 years of going to Greece. I find it very hard to believe that a Greek person could be responsible for this.

Dare I suggest that the influx of people from certain very poor parts of Eastern Europe may be behind a rise in this sort of petty crime?

Even so, Greece and her islands are still a haven of honesty and safety compared to most of western Europe (including Britain!)

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 12:06:37 PM »
I have mentioned this before in another thread but we had the same problem in accommodation when we were in Crete a few years ago.  When my daughters packed up to go home (they didnt use the wardrobe or drawers, lived out of suitcases!) they were missing tee shirts so after a good scout around they found one under the mattress on the spare bed and another stuffed behind a drawer they didn't use.  Other people had cosmetics used and small change taken.  We left a note in the visitors book to beware of this and it was ripped out the next day.  I think it must have happened before.

This can happen anywhere, in any country, in any hotel/accommodation.  We just cant afford to be complacent about leaving stuff out on show and if you are sure clothes go missing then make a complaint straight away - especially if you are absolutely sure as that is not on!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Marymary

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 05:04:37 PM »
what a shame that there have been thefts in Arillas, it just goes to show no where is immune from it. I will be more carefull next time I come here as before I have never given that sort of thing a second thought and have even left my money on the bedside cabinet, mind nothing has ever gone missing

Mary

Offline evanjonesaber

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 11:17:35 PM »
Thanks for the warnings guys! Me and my fiancee are due to stay in the apartments from 20th july til the 4th august and will be sure to keep a close eye on our clothes!!!

Offline jinksy

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 12:24:38 AM »
hi evanjonesaber, we been to arillas 5 times and never had any problems regarding missing items etc, the only thing i recall missing is breakfast after a heavy night the night before, ask jimmi and spiro from rainbow lol, many regulars to arillas will tell you the same, yammas, jinksy, p.s. may see you around we are there from july 31st

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 12:48:31 AM »
From experience I found that there were no worries staying at the apartments
We spent two weeks there two years ago.
There were no problems and our belongings were never touched at all, even when the cleaner came in all our things were put back where we had left them.
I would certainly stay there again.

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 01:13:20 AM »
I think the message is don't judge before you go, but simply be aware that even in Arillas the odd thing can happen.

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 07:53:31 PM »
It's so sad that several people have had this bad experience. We've only been to Arillas twice (staying both times at Kaloudis) and felt we could have left our door open, it felt so safe.
I hope I continue to feel like that.  Looking forward to booking 2010!!

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 08:24:59 PM »
Janis

Continue to feel that way. Today I have been to Acharavi and Roda and parked up in Sidari. All times I never lock the car and in Sidari I left my mobile on the passenger seat. It nevers bothers me.
And when, I left the house in Kavadaddes I left the downstairs window wide open and have been, depending on evening ouzos, known to leave my keys in the car overnight.
And.... I never remove the stereo fascia front. - Wots that all about?
We've lived here 26t months now and I have yet to panic about securing diddley squat.
I do worry though, if leave my darts in the car - Although sometimes I hope that they will vanish mysteriously - Best excuse in the world for not playing very well.
So far , so good.
Negg

riggers

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 08:45:28 PM »
Same here Janis. Never even used the safes at the Kaloudis. Neill i have seen the way you leave your car open, windows too, leave your car by the beach and walk to the coconut. You gotta watch the plants in your garden in some places over here.

riggers...

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2009, 09:07:39 PM »
Yes, and a locked car from right outside your front door!!!

lynn xx

Offline kb62

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2009, 08:13:17 PM »
its such a shame reading these posts, we have been coming to greece for years and this year will be our second in arillas, we,ve already booked for next year, in all our time we have never had any problems with items going misssing, we find the greek people the most friendliest and honest by far.
On a lighter note, when my son was 5 he was regularly taken by the cleaner , to her house, and always came back with bag fulls of fruit and goodies......
Anyway hello to everyone, and happy hols to all x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2009, 08:21:15 PM »
That is our experience too kb62. Like the others have said, it happens and we have to accept it. But there are so few by comparison, the risk is very small. Arillas is more honest and decent than anywhere else I've been, and I've been around the block...

Phil

Offline kb62

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2009, 10:21:45 PM »
i know what your saying phil, but i still dont know anywhere else i could leave my camera and money and stuff on the beach while im in the sea,  just wouldnt happen in blackpool would it,  my names karen , my son set this up for me i couldnt use karen it said someone else already had it, kb are my initials ,  anyway heres to many more jaunts around the block ..........

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2009, 10:39:37 PM »
If you've read the forum Karen, you'll know I am the forum windbag, and a forum anorak. (There's plenty of those. Not naming any names, but I'm only 5th in the list of most posts.....)

Arillas means more to me, and to my Jen, than anywhere else in the world. We are true addicts, and the forum gives us a chance to feel normal. If you keep seeing the same names, it is because we have all become great friends with each other. It happens to anyone who visits Arillas and arillas.com.

You will see banter, jokes, and sometimes our in depth knowlege of our place. My new mantra is relax, chill, enjoy. It works for us.

Where we live in Baltonsborough, you can leave everything on the pub table and it will never be touched. It is the same in Arillas except the incomers may not be as honest as our hosts, but the level of care you need is so low.

See you there one day
Phil

Booking.com