Author Topic: Indepentently or Package?  (Read 187174 times)

Offline claire43

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
Re: Indepentently or Package?
« Reply #165 on: August 15, 2013, 06:25:13 PM »
This subject possibly leads in to the bigger question that we could always ask ourselves:
        i.e. do we fall into the trap of the cheapest alternative with the 'big' companies offering 'All Inclusive' and where the locals receive a very poor percentage of the money we pay,or do we try to spend our money with independent people trying to make an honest living? Gradually the 'little people will be unable to continue and the 'big guys' then charge 'big 'money. ( this can be clearly seen here in UK with little shops and now Tesco's taking over the country)

We have booked with Thompson for this holiday because I needed to book last October to get me through the winter! But when we get there in just a few hours (!!!!!) we will spend our hard earned money with all the locals,we would not even take the transfers with Thompson as it was extra cost and that money will go now to a local taxi Arillas firm ,thank you!

Offline daisyday

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2013, 06:29:56 PM »
Actually looking at pricing for next year - it was the first time I saw with a package that you could take the price of the transfer off (think I was looking at Thomsons) and the reduction was £60 for coach transfer.  I would much rather take this off and then pay for a local taxi there and back.

Unless I'm being dozy (very possible) I've never noticed an option to remove it before and then thought I would be paying extra on top so have just used coach transfers.  With that option it's a no brainer.

Offline MicK-G

« Reply #167 on: August 15, 2013, 06:33:40 PM »
Hi Claire, I am pleased that the hotel owners are receiving more of the cash directly rather than just getting a small amount, I do wonder whether rooms could be at a better rate so that more money could then be spent in Arillas? If my room was cheaper then I would've spent more in the bars and restaurants. My problem isn't the amount I spent, it's what I got for my money. Greece has a bit of a poor reputation within Europe for paying taxes. Are the higher room charges due to the increased taxes that people are now paying within Greece?

Offline daisyday

« Reply #168 on: August 15, 2013, 06:41:19 PM »
Mick - I think I've got an exceptionally good deal for a studio with Bardis Sun Apartments next month (but obviously not school holidays) at 300 Euros for 12 nights. 

I did query pricing for next year for a few places and Marina Hotel quoted me 40 per night for an apartment, 50 Euros a night for a hotel room with breakfast included, Marinaki 60 Euros per night and I think Horizon is around 75-80 Euros per night (for the two of us). 

But school holidays are always expensive wherever you go and I presume you are having a 2 bed or 1 bed apartment (rather than a studio like us).

We have found Arillas itself one of the cheaper Greek islands to eat and drink out in and have found the food quality to be really good - compared to say Kos Town and Crete where they have the menus on boards out with the pictures and the food tastes microwaved.

23 sleeps - can't wait!!!  Now, first drink.... house white wine or retsina..... oh, what a dilemma I can't wait to have!

Offline MicK-G

« Reply #169 on: August 15, 2013, 07:26:09 PM »
I think you're right Daisy, there are some good deals, I've seen that Angela's apartments are available for €30 per night.

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #170 on: August 15, 2013, 07:28:46 PM »
Tell ya what, I challenge anyone in this country to get a room for 5, with pool and sea seconds away for around £50!!

Offline Vaughan & Angie

« Reply #171 on: August 15, 2013, 08:13:07 PM »
Ah! Yes Jo, but does it have swing?

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #172 on: August 15, 2013, 09:59:16 PM »
Tell ya what, I challenge anyone in this country to get a room for 5, with pool and sea seconds away for around £50!!

Too darn right there girl!  UK has priced itself out of the market...even a caravan costs an arm and a leg :-(

Offline oldgit

« Reply #173 on: August 15, 2013, 10:58:29 PM »
Hi Booked our family group of 10 in last week of May independently. Worked out cheaper than package deal. Flights via Jet 2 and accommodation with Jimmy at Rainbow. Jimmy also arranged minibus to and from airport. Linda and I returning 30th August flight out via Easyjet but staying till Monday 16th September as Jet2 flight was cheaper than returning on the Friday ( saving pays for the extra 3 nights at the Rainbow) Yammas.

Offline MicK-G

« Reply #174 on: August 15, 2013, 11:18:50 PM »
I have to travel during the school holidays when there isn't great deals.

Offline AJC51

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #175 on: August 15, 2013, 11:28:53 PM »
Jo & Angie
A swing of that quality and the view alone would be £50.
Only 16 sleeps.

Al Sal & (Becs 23 sleeps snuck on a flight)

Offline Angela66

« Reply #176 on: August 16, 2013, 09:08:19 AM »
Hi all

The Marina charge 50 euros a nigh all year round as we have just booked for August next year - this includes breakfast.

We we're laughing as we booked because to us it seemed 'pricey' to get 4 of us out there; flights, 2 rooms etc.  however even if we have to pay £500 top whack for the flights then that would be around £3k plus taxis.  However we spend around £100 a day so add that on and we are looking at 4.4k. 

Now a decent all inclusive in turkey was coming in at around the same but: you would then spend at least £500 during 2 weeks all inc and you have to cope with the same food every night tedium that is typical of all inc.

Now to be fair, we could also have got cheaper next year by staying in an apartment but it is our wedding so...  Plus, I am hopeful we will manage some cheaper EasyJet or Ryan air flights.  Maybe we will get the cost down to 3.5 k

However, I have to say that when the 2 daughters start to drink alcohol and if they are still holidaying with us, then I may do a couple of years all inc, as it would definately be more cost effective.  I am hoping thought that they both have their own independence and choose to go with their friends instead;)

In the meantime I shall look forward to John and I's one week at the Mathraki (£788 with thomsons, plus euro 170 for car hire through Theo from the airport) and then eagerly count down to our wedding and honeymoon at the Marina next year ( with maybe a cheeky week on May thrown in aswell)

Regards
Angela

Offline Karen/Colin

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #177 on: August 18, 2013, 12:47:55 PM »
We are looking to do book indepentantly next year for 1 week. I have been trying to contact the Horizon but not sure if the email address is correct. Can anyone enlighten me??

Thanks

Karen

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #178 on: August 18, 2013, 01:04:38 PM »
Dear Karen
Have a look at the website:

http://www.horizon-hotel.gr/en/index.php

and you will find the email address is given as:

info@horizon-hotel.gr

Best wishes

Pat

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #179 on: August 18, 2013, 03:44:19 PM »
also karen book your flights as soon as they release there schedule,i book e/j and save a fortune the day they released them ,yiammas

Booking.com