Author Topic: Indepentently or Package?  (Read 183973 times)

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Indepentently or Package?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 10:42:53 AM »
We haven't been this year but all previous visits have been package deals with Thomsons staying at bardis Sun with Dorita.

Offline Aly

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 10:55:49 AM »
Hiya Dimitris
I book independently as you know, as the package deals generally on offer aren't conducive for the lone-traveller what with the single supplement malarky its downright robbery!!! Saying that you'll all be thinking well there is the taxi transfer too to consider - well yes, but after summing it all up over the years, it's still beneficial for the singletons to do it that way, well me anyway.

Saying that, it may have its disadvantages too and I'm referring to this latest outward bound Air Malta flight I'm booked on. I seem to have convinced myself (that's after reading the forum), that this flight is not going to takeoff on time/not take off at all!!!!! XL won't give me any information about it at the moment saying its too early to tell. I tried 'pretending' to book the same flight online the other day and guess what ... nothing/it didn't show?! So it could either be full or doesn't exist, in which case I've been robbed and won't know anything until I get to the airport. My next task is to ring XL direct and see if the actual flight is 'full'. I thought holidays were supposed to be relaxing lol? If I get there, it will certainly be worth it.

I won't be happy until I'm up in the air on my way to Corfu.

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 11:26:18 AM »
booked independently last 2 years...usually fly with XL ...no paticular reason as it can cost less to book a package..and you have more protection against mishaps...may rethink as the flight situation is not getting any better...not from the North anyhow!!

Offline lynwill53

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
As a single traveller I've had some really good deals from Olympic in the last few years. Just booked to come to Arillas (Thetis) for 2 wks at end of August and the eventual discount was bigger than the final price of less than £250 (and that includes flight meals and 20kg luggage)

I very much doubt I could do separate flights, plus transfers and independantly booked accommodation for that sort of money, and you've got tour operator and rep support if you need it.

Trouble is, if people stop using the tour operators, they will stop going there!!! Not a good outcome for anybody.

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 11:56:22 AM »
For 2008 we did a package with Thomas Cook,had a few problems while in Arillas but most people know about them now.Thomas Cook gave us back £70 so have no complaints about them,they did the correct thing by us.
2009 we are coming independantly flying from Exeter with First choice airways booked through Thompsons and staying at Poppy and Spiros room 13 i believe cost a lot more than a package due to the flight costs,£583 but still worth it to come home.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 11:58:37 AM »
Hi Dimitris!

We booked EJ this year for September, then followed Martins example and phoned Dorita at Bardis Sun Hotel for accommodation, I also sent a confirmation letter.  I will phone her in a couple of weeks to arrange for a taxi pick up... no problems so far!

We have saved a bit by doing it this way this year but not a lot!

Looking forward to seeing you all again soon.

sue x
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Peckedhen

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
Came on a package the first time (allocated on arrival, which is how we discovered Arillas), since have booked direct with various airlines. I email The Marina Hotel and Vasilis (Billy) books the rooms and arranges the transfer for us. With his generous support and help, we have never felt the need for the 'backup' of a tour operator.

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 12:34:36 PM »
hi dimitris, we have been through a tour company first time was thomson and next 2 were thomas cook, did try last time to travel independantly but the flights only were just too expensive, it was much cheaper to come on a package. not ideal i know as i don't think the tour companies pay the hotel owners a great deal.
ger x

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 12:52:42 PM »
Easyjet online x 4.....look forward to seeing you on Monday evening Dimitri. Please could you save me a table....or a corner and a chair? xx
Sandy x

Offline jebbo

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2008, 01:39:44 PM »
Hi Dimitris,

Between 1991 and 2005 we always came with Manos on a package and stayed at the Rainbow.

For the last 3 years (including this year) we have travelled independantly and have stayed twice with you at the Brouklis and this year at Anna studios.

Don't think I could go back to using packages again now.

Be back again in October :-)

Jebbo

Offline Dave n Anne

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 03:06:13 PM »
Hi Dimitris

This year was our 7th visit and we have always booked with Manos , but for next year we have booked our flights seperately and have booked to stay with Phil at the Tria when we were there in July . It is costing about the same as a package but we are there for 9 full days instead of the 6 you get on a package so to me it is well worth it .

Yammas

Dave n Anne

Offline gillian

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 03:28:25 PM »
booked a flight on XL for £34 from Manchester and staying with St Stef travel who will organise our taxi and return flight .Accomodation is Theos in St Stef the BEST place to stay, we get to eat with a real Corfiot family attend their celebrations and are made to feel like family. We always used Manos but this way is so much better and flexible. We spend at least 16 weeks there and love every minute of it. Coming back on 25th August for 6 weeks and on countdown!!!

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2008, 05:13:01 PM »
Hi Dimitris,

We booked independently this year and have done the same for next year in July. It is more expensive, but you have more control over your flights and accommodation. It is also nice to know that you are making payment directly to the Hotel owner and bypassing the tour operators. 

TerryW

Offline Jennifer Ferguson

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 05:17:02 PM »
Flight only from Glasgow for the two of us -£641
Package to Marvel on bed and breakfast,including coach transfers £660.
Package usually works out better for us as there are few 'cheap' flights from Glasgow or Edinburgh,

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 05:23:43 PM »
Have just booked with T.C. 1 week in Perry and Jimmy's. 15kg luggage & meals & transfers £536. Have booked independently for 2 weeks in May with Poppy & Spiro 20kg luggage & meal accomadation & taxi to pay flight has cost £568. Viv.
p.s. Harold your in room 12.

Stay Nude it ante rude

Booking.com