Author Topic: Snorkling.  (Read 37149 times)

Offline valerie

Snorkling.
« on: August 14, 2008, 01:54:47 PM »
Im hoping to do some snorkling while on holiday next year.whats the sea like in Arillas?i would love to go diving but due to a pacemaker i dont think i can do that so snorkling it is.my holiday cant come soon enough.     valerie.

Offline kevin.g

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
Re: Snorkling.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 09:51:06 PM »
val i always take my mask & snorkel to arillas, the waters very clear but gets a bit chilly once past the pier,quite a few fish around the end of the pier,or try a boat tripfrom san steph which you can book from several places in arillas ,have a good one.............yammas

Offline valerie

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 10:02:19 PM »
Thanks kevin it sounds great im sure i will have a great time.

Nan

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 11:25:58 PM »
Just got back from Arillas and snorkeled lots.  The area around the jetty on the right hand side is a very gentle place to snorkle. You don't have to go very far out either it is easy to see lots of fish in really shallow water. It was lovely and warm in the sea and we saw a variety of fish. Some tiny blue ones were beautiful, does anyone know what these are called? Put plenty of suncream on your legs because although I wear a teashirt over my swimsuit to stop burning my back and arms, I did catch it on my legs!! Silly billy never thought about them but I sure will do next time :)  Have a lovely time in the sea

Cheers Nan x

Offline annie

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 12:53:45 AM »
i went around the rocks on the right of the beach saw sea bass and ones that look like angel fish water was only waist deep it was great. If i went out too far the sea was cold so tayed near rocks will try the pier next time thaks for info
Annie

riggers

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 01:01:28 AM »
When we was there in June a chap who we eventually got to know, he went Snorkelling by the pier most days. He said it was fantastic. His wife preferred to soak up the sun by the pool.

riggers...

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 02:09:53 AM »
Sadly riggers I don't need a snorkel to work my way through a pint of Mythos. Jen is talking about having a go though. Motivated by Annie, Valerie and Nan's posts. But I guess when it comes to it she will join me in a Mythos at Kaloudis instead. Ah well. Who cares?

lol
Phil

riggers

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 03:07:11 AM »
I think you got my way of thinking Phil..  :)  To much like hard work on Holiday  :)

riggers...

Offline valerie

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 07:51:40 PM »
Thanks for all of your posts, years ago i lived in cyprus, in Akrotiri the sea was very calm and the fish where beautiful. i was amazed at the little sea horses and i would scoop them up in my hands and show them to my son but i put them back of course. my son dosent remember his time in cyprus but over the years i have reminded him of our life there. when my son found out i was going to zante 2 years ago he bought me a snorkle kit and i did a bit of snorkling while we were there but i was very dissapointed as there were no fish at the resort where we were staying. so im glad to hear of the lovely fish in Aarillas. im sure i will have a great time, im not a strong swimmer but i seem to swim more while snorkling and never want to get out of the sea.    valerie

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 12:21:57 AM »
That's the forum then Valerie. Keeps me going through the long winter.

Jen is also a water baby - but these days it's the pool mostly. I still adore the sea in Arillas - shallow and safe, often warm and always full of fascinating fish.

If we get time I will spend many hours in it in September. Mind you, with the number of forum friends about, the wet will mostly be inside.....

Phil

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 12:51:05 AM »
Phil
You know the wet will be inside
I'm sure you will enjoy getting wet inside
OUZO OUZO OUZO and any other drink you may fancy

Have a good time pal

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 06:21:15 PM »
Glad to hear you are off snorkelling in Arillas Valerie.  When are you off?  The water is just warm enough in May but is better later in the year.  There are lots of fish by the rocks at the north end of the beach (by the headland with the house on top), but the water is cooler the further out you go.
Love snorkelling myself - usually find the main problem is getting my flippers on!!!

Never mind I usually make my wife laugh while I'm trying to get them on!

and sometimes fall over when I've got them on!

Best wishes
PJ

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline Baldy Barry

• Forum Fanatic
    • myspace.com
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 07:01:56 PM »
Valerie ,
A little tip for you if you go snorkelling.
Take a bag of bread with you when you go to the beach.
When you get in the sea squidge pieces bread in the water and in no time you'll be surrounded by fish.
Me and my mate tried it and in the end the fish were trying to get at the bread I was holding in a clear plastic bag.
Mmmmmm.....bread !
Hope I don't burn !

Offline patrickjohn

• ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 07:19:58 PM »
That's a good idea Barry - thanks.
Don't know what happened to picture number two above, so will try again.
Julia took this pic., when I fell over my flippers - very undignified!

Best wishes
PJ

Offline patrickjohn

• ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 07:04:59 PM »
Still trying to upload this image.  Let's see what happens now!
PJ

Booking.com