Author Topic: Manchester Airport Strikes :( :( :(  (Read 6215 times)

Offline brer

Manchester Airport Strikes :( :( :(
« on: August 19, 2008, 06:19:19 PM »
Great!!!

Manchester Airport have announced baggage strikes on the day we're flying to Corfu :(

Does anyone have any idea what will happen please?  Can't we take any luggage? I'm really worried now :(

~ C

Offline Hels Bels

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Manchester Airport Strikes :( :( :(
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 07:32:48 PM »
It depends who you are travelling with. I understand that the baggage handlers that are going on strike are Swissport the attached link shows the agent for each airline:

http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/Content/LostOrDelayedLuggage

Hope you are not affected.

Offline brer

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 07:34:29 PM »
We are affected :(  It's a Monarch flight.

riggers

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 07:42:30 PM »
More doom and gloom from Manchester. Typical....

riggers...

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 08:43:35 PM »
As a long term union rep, I am also horrified if a baggage handlers strike wrecks the well earned holidays of ordinary working people. I have been on strike in the past, but all my members made totally sure that students never lost any of their education. Just created the right publicity for which always got a load of support including the local press and TV.

This strike could have been designed to make sure the participanys are cast as wreckers and ruiners and leaves them open to all sorts of abuse. Everybody remembers Arthur Scargill but that is not modern unionism.

I have the greatest sympathy with the baggage handlers. Like all of us they are suffering the hike in prices of everything. It will be the same in Greece. But privatisation, moving them out of the public sector and introducing "efficiency measures" by those who do not have to endure such cuts in their living standards is immoral.

And industrial unrest in Corfu has made it's mark already this year. See the posts. What else are people supposed to do if they not only have to suffer the world-wide rise in prices of fuel and food, but then have a government which kicks them again?

Sorry - Arillas is about holidays and this website is meant to be about that, but this applies everywhere. I can't help my passion for fairness.

Arillas is a slice of paradise and some of us are lucky enough to go and enjoy it. People's enjoyment of it shouldn't be destroyed by unions or governments alike.

Phil
sorry - my reputation is in tatters..........

Offline england

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 03:27:36 PM »

Offline brer

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 03:51:33 PM »
WOO HOO!!! *dancing*

I'd not see that but it's FAB news!!

Thank you!!

x

Offline justlynn