Author Topic: Excel Goes Bust  (Read 42873 times)

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
Excel Goes Bust
« on: September 11, 2008, 07:07:28 PM »
Hi all, it's just be confirmed here that Excel have gone bust, I know they are still operating flights today but other than that there is no real information. Just thought you might like a heads up before this news becomes widespread

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
Re: Excel Goes Bust
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 07:19:16 PM »

Hey Joe,
That doesn't sound good at all does it? I don't really know what else to add at this point. Obviously there are people out there who are going to lose out - which is just awful, but I guess we'll just have to wait & see how great the impact is.
Thanks so much for telling us all.
BeckyB :-)

Offline Jersey Bean

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 07:25:24 PM »
Aren't Kosmar part of the same group. Have they gone bust also ?

Offline Janina C

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 10:08:39 PM »
I am sooooo glad I decided XL flights were at the wrong times for us. We fly to Corfu on Monday. The down side is that the weather sites are predicting thundery showers for 3 days next week.

I really hope there aren't too many of our Arillas friends who are affected by the XL news.
Janina

Offline Jersey Bean

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 10:23:15 PM »
When I checked Travel Republic's website this afternoon they were still taking bookings.  That's really bad.

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 10:37:46 PM »

I agree Jersey Bean - that's not good at all is it?
Thanks to Joe for letting folk know though - I too hope that it doesn't have too much of a profound effect on Arillas Forum members.

Offline jenna

• Me And Chris
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 10:49:59 PM »
Joe, keep us up-to-date as much as you can on this please as my parents are currently in Arillas and due to fly home on Monday 22nd with XL airways.

Offline mcdebs

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 11:53:10 PM »
I am sooooo glad I decided XL flights were at the wrong times for us. We fly to Corfu on Monday. The down side is that the weather sites are predicting thundery showers for 3 days next week.

I really hope there aren't too many of our Arillas friends who are affected by the XL news.

We fly out on Monday too - spotted the thundery showers on the weather forecasts too.  Never mind eh?  at least it isn't UK thundery showers.  Its our first time in Corfu and really looking forward to it after a very stressful year.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 01:08:11 AM »
Jenna...maybe your parents will just have to stay in Arillas....

Seriously though, this is bad news. My friend's son has worked as cabin crew for Excel for the last 7 years and has a big mortgage. He is in Florida today and it looks like he could be out of a job tomorrow....
Sandy x

Offline jenna

• Me And Chris
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 01:27:35 AM »
Jenna...maybe your parents will just have to stay in Arillas....

Well of all the places to be stranded, Arillas would definitely be my number one choice.

Joe, I was doing a bit of research online and I believe that XL airways are ATOL registered.  In that case, what would be the procedure if the flights were cancelled?

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 09:16:47 AM »
This has even come as a surprise to us here, now for the first time we starting to feel thankful of the merger, we probably wouldn't be here otherwise. Ok, for people with existing Excel bookings:

A package including flight and accommodation - Whatever happens you will be ABTA protected and you will be refunded but not necessarily in full.

Scheduled flight only booked on credit card - Your credit company should refund you but you will lose the flight.

Scheduled flight only booked on debit card - This is the problem child, if the airline collapsed there is a high chance you will get no refund and no flight, if this happens when you are oversees they are under no obligation to bring you home.

Now Excel has stopped flying and there are obviously people abroad the CAA will be working to get everyone home as quickly as possible. I notice its made the main news channels now so there might be some good information there to in case you are worried

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 09:29:51 AM »
From the website

Customers booked with XL Leisure Group ATOL tour operators
The following tour operators held Air Travel Organiser’s Licenses (ATOL) and customers that purchased air holidays and flights from them will be ATOL protected. Full details are on the Civil Aviation Authority's (CAA) ATOL website (www.atol.org.uk):

The Really Great Holiday Company PLC - ATOL 3827
Trading as: Cruise City, Excel Holidays, The Florida Skytrain, Transatlantic Vacations, Travel City Direct and Travel City International
Kosmar Villa Holidays PLC - ATOL 1760
Trading as: Kosmar Holidays

Freedom Flights Limited - ATOL 5296
Trading as: Freedom Flights
Aspire Holidays Limited - ATOL 6536
Trading as: Aspire Holidays
Customers currently abroad
You should be able to stay in your hotel or villa and complete your holiday. In most cases, your accommodation provider will be paid direct by the CAA so you will not incur any additional expenses. If you need to make any payments for items like hotels or transfers, you should obtain a receipt as far as possible. The CAA will be able to consider claims for refunds for these amounts.

A flight will be arranged to bring you home by the CAA. You can check with your holiday representative for information about any changes to your flight arrangements, or check on the ATOL website (www.atol.org.uk). For those customers in particular distress please contact the CAA’s help line on telephone number +44 (0) 2891 856 547.

Customers with advanced bookings but yet to travel
All passengers who have booked through a travel agent should contact that agent in the first instance who will be able to assist you in making a claim on ATOL. If you booked directly with an XL Group company than please contact ATOL directly.

ATOL may be able to provide an alternative arrangement. Further information is available on the ATOL website (www.atol.org.uk).

Customers booked with XL Airways Through XL.com or XL Call Centres
Unfortunately, customers who booked either through xl.com or xl call centres are not ATOL protected. Consequently, you will be ineligible for a refund from ATOL in respect of your flight.

The CAA will be able to make arrangements for your return journey. As you fall into an unprotected category of customers you will be invoiced a fee on your return to the UK. Please check on the ATOL website (www.atol.org.uk) for details or go to the local airport ticketing desk where they will be able to make arrangements and inform passengers of the likely costs.

Alternatively, you may be able to find a flight better suited to your needs by making your own, independent arrangements to return home. The CAA is not in a position to cover the costs of your own arrangements. For all new bookings please ensure you retain your receipts.

If you are owed money as a result of incurring costs to return to the UK please send details of the amount owed to you by the Companies to Kroll Limited, Wellington Plaza, 31 Wellington Street, Leeds LS1 4DL.

Customers should check their travel insurance policy since it may provide cover for airline or accommodation failure. The type of protection provided may also vary depending on the type of policy taken out. A policy may cover the complete or partial cost of the original tickets or accommodation purchased.

If you paid by credit card, you may be protected by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. If you paid by Visa debit card you may also have some protection. You should check with your card issuer for further advice.

In the event that you wish to organise your own return travel, detailed below are a list of potential alternative carriers:

First Choice – 0871 200 7799
Thomas Cook – 0870 750 0119
Thomson – 0871 231 5938
Further information can be obtained from the Administrator’s help line as follows:

From the UK – 0800 068 8991
From Abroad - + 44 208 242 4783
Customers with advanced booking but yet to travel
All flights have been cancelled and will not be rescheduled.

Customers of Medlife Hotels
Unfortunately, customers who booked through Medlife Hotels are not ATOL protected.

You may be able to stay in your accommodation and complete your holiday. Please contact your relevant travel agent.

Customers with advance bookings but yet to travel
All holidays through Medlife Hotels have been cancelled and the Joint Administrators are not in a position to refund you in respect of these cancelled holidays.

If you are owed money as a result of a cancelled holiday please send details of the amount owed to you by the Companies to Kroll Limited, Wellington Plaza, 31 Wellington Street, Leeds LS1 4DL.

Customers should check their travel insurance policy since it may provide cover for accommodation failure. The type of protection provided may also vary depending on the type of policy taken out. A policy may cover the complete or partial cost of the original tickets or accommodation purchased.

If you paid by credit card, you may be protected by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. If you paid by Visa debit card you may also have some protection. You should check with your card issuer for further advice.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 10:12:22 AM »
Well done Joe...thanks for all that information.
Sandy x

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
  • Helios Court Arillas Corfu
    • Luxury Villa in Arillas
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 10:21:34 AM »
Can we try to get a list together of the other airlines that fly to Corfu?

I can think of :
Easyjet
Avro -(I think this time of year at least they are sharing with XL)
Monarch
Thomas Cook
Olympic (Via Athens) Has anyone done Athens by Ferry? How does that work?

Any body who flew out with XL will be in trouble. I was trying to book a return leg only yesterday myself and availability is terrible as it was.

I think I have seen some first choice planes too but correct me if I am wrong.

Who else?

Regards
Style, Luxury, Tranquillity
Helios Court Villa, Arillas, Corfu.
http://www.corfuvilla.holiday

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 10:25:59 AM »