Author Topic: I didn't do this before....but this time..  (Read 11572 times)

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
I didn't do this before....but this time..
« on: September 21, 2008, 09:58:09 PM »

Hi Everybody,

A slightly new take on an old subject matter.

For those of us that have visited before (& for those of us that haven't), do you have something 'in your minds eye' that you say you're going to do - the next time you go to Arillas - or Corfu in general.

To be honest, I've got loads of things I still haven't done/seen, but this time round when we head back at the end of next week we plan to do some inland walking - as opposed to the coastal usual ones & try to chance upon some places not too far away from Arillas that we might have inadvertently skipped before.

We also want to try some of the tavernas in Arillas that we haven't eaten at previously - some pictures that Baldy Barry posted recently had my mouth watering & we want to hire our own boat.

At the end of the day we may end up doing all or none of these things, only time will tell, I just wanted to know if other Forum members had 'little' goals which they set before they set off :-)

BeckyB

Offline Paul D

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
Re: I didn't do this before....but this time..
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 10:15:04 PM »
Hi,Becky.  Yes ,we do have a think about things to do when we are in Arillas. Some we end up doing,others we don`t.  But it doesn`t really matter if we do or don`t. We`ve been to Corfu a few times now and have already seen a lot of it, but we haven`t been right down south.  So when we are there in June, that`s the plan. We have not been to the Diapondia islands yet,either. We will hire a car and just see where it takes us.
        One decision we have made is not to go to Corfu town this time.
      I have a funny feeling that when we hit the beach, all our plans will go out the window and we`ll just relax doing as little as poss.
     Heather and I can`t wait for june 1st.
           Best Wishes    Paul D
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 11:27:13 PM »
Simple Becks, Go get a pizza !! and eat it on the front at sunset...(im not a pizaz lover but i think i would enjoy one this way)
Ang

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 11:44:26 PM »

That's it isn't it guys, you can have the biggest plans in all the world can't you but somehow, when you arrive in Arillas, something takes over :-)
Ang,
Love the idea of munching some pizza while taking in the best sunset in the world...fab suggestion & Paul, we're a bit like you, definately want to explore the south a bit more this time am amongst all our other plans & ideas :-)

Will let you know how we go :-)

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 12:22:32 AM »
Know what I like Becky? Sitting on the front, with one of George`s smoothies. Bliss.
Lindypops.

Offline Paul & Denise

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 01:15:25 AM »
Smothie sat watching the sun set - now that really will be on our"I didn't do this before......but this time" sounds heaven Lindypops, keep the seat warm not far behind you.

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 01:26:16 AM »
It`s bliss. A nice day dawning, and all the world is refreshed. Only downside-------------
I wish George was in the creperie earlier. No worries, it`s all good.
Lindypops.

Offline Karen/Colin

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 03:28:49 PM »
We spent an evening on the beach this year with pizza, munchies & beer watching the sunset, it was bliss.
As for hiring a boat- next year we intend to hire one & return it without a hole in it!!!!-that's another story-things you wish you 'hadn't' done this year.

Karen

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 04:01:50 PM »
Know exactly what you mean Becky, I had loads of things I wanted to do in May this year but spent most of the week lazing around.  I want to visit the donkey sanctuary, Loutses and Old Perithea.  (As written about in the book Greek for Love)  Mean to do those things this time, but as you say, what happens once we arrive there is another thing!  Highly recommend hiring a boat, its a really good day.

Karen, come on then, whats the story with the hole in the boat, lol. 

Sharon x

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 05:42:31 PM »
last couple of years we have hired a car and travelled around, we also hired a moped for one day as martin couldnt face another day roasting on the beach! we will definately do that again it was such fun!! 2 50 somethings bombing about on two wheels, reminded us of our youth!!! also we would like to hire a boat, and like you said try out some different places to eat, but we will probable still just go to our favourites!
ger x

Offline Karen/Colin

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 05:43:53 PM »
We hired a lovely little boat from the guys on the beach, had a quick lesson & instructions not to use the anchor in shallow water etc etc & off we went. We had a lovely time, went out around the rock, down the coast  to Aghios Georgous & decided to stop for lunch on a secluded beach (secluded except for the naked man laying on a log!)
Col threw the anchor over board & we waded to the beach.
Unfortunately the waves caught the boat & pushed ot towards the shore causing the anchor to pierce the boat!
Col said not to worry we wouldn't sink as the boat is double hulled, so off we went heading towards Paleo, I wasn't too sure about his reassurance & neither was our daughter. After about 10 mins he decided the boat was starting to feel heavy & appeared too be listing to one side.
Panic started to set in then with me & Lisa - what did the man say about flares?
Col turned the boat around & we headed back towards Arillas. It seemed a very long way & by the time we arrrived there was about 3 inches of water in the bottom of the boat.
The boat guys knew straight away what had happened & it cost 100euros to get it fixed.
Col is determined to have another go next year but maybe we wont get off the boat!
Apart from anything else I am sure they will remember us & probably wont hire us a boat anyway.
I was very embarassed by the whole thing never mind the extra expense but at least we didn't drown.
 If anyone hires Olga - look after her

Karen

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 06:02:01 PM »
We hired Konstantina this year and nearly had a similar problem. We stopped at a lovely beach just before Paleo and dropped anchor....but sadly hit a rock and couldn't pull it up again!!! My brother-in-law had to keep diving down until he managed to dislodge it but there were a few scarey moments.....
Sandy x

Offline Baldy Barry

• Forum Fanatic
    • myspace.com
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 06:18:12 PM »
Last year our anchor got stuck under a slab in about 15 feet of water.
Barry the macho man dived down but by the time I got to the anchor I was running out of breath ! Too many ciggies I think !
So Me and Jack had several more attempts but we couldn't shift it.
Enter a super fit German bloke that was snorkelling past in all his professional gear with a speargun.
He saw us struggling and went straight down then swam up with the anchor in his hand !
Pulled the anchor aboard and a quick "Danke schon" and we were off.
Susan laughing and me and Jack saying we must have loosened it before the German lad went down !
"Yeah righto" she said !
Hope I don't burn !

Offline Karen/Colin

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 06:54:25 PM »
I am glad we werent the only ones making a hash of this sailing lark! We also got the anchor stuck on a rock when we pulled into Porto Timoni. Col managed to wiggle it free thankfully.
I think we will stick to pedalos in future, the kids had one for an hour & has great fun. Much less stressful.
That's what we will do next year-hire a pedalo.
karen

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 10:32:27 PM »
I`ll add messing about in boats to my to do list. It sounds great fun . Will try not to capsize. Another thing we might try is horse riding.  Never done it, so look out.
           Best Wishes   Paul D
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Booking.com