Author Topic: I didn't do this before....but this time..  (Read 11573 times)

Offline Peckedhen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: I didn't do this before....but this time..
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 10:52:36 PM »
We hired a boat on a calm, sunny day and motored down to Paleocastritsa. We had a lazy lunch there and a wander around. On leaving the sheltered harbour,on our return, we found that the wind had got up and the waves were huge. We were both huddled in the bottom of the boat, clinging on for dear life as the waves broke over the sides wetting us through. We knew there were life jackets in the hull but dare not even let go to get them.....I decided that we should strike a direct course back and head into the waves so that we didn't broach, we ended up going further and further out to sea but we were told that we should have hugged the coast where the waves were not as big. :roll: It was a terrifying experience and we have not been in a boat since!! :lol:

Sue

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 10:57:53 PM »
Sue, that sounds one scary ride.  Hopefully when we hire a boat we won`t turn it into The Poseidon Adventure.

Paul D
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 11:07:29 PM »
Hi paul  ,,the horse riding is good fun & a great laugh,(also great value)we have been twice ..and will probably go again....put it on the agenda...(pick a cool day..or go late afternoon it can get pretty hot on top of those mustangs.....)

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 07:23:53 PM »
Hey we hired Olga in the 1st week of July this year, she seemed fine or was your mis-hap later in the season? We found that heading down the coast was the best, much prettier. Sandwiches, crisps and wine, what a lovey day. Even that Island across from Arillas has one small beach, great for a snorkel, but the seagulls were none to impressed with us.

Offline Karen/Colin

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 03:26:55 PM »
The date we had Olga was 6th August- a date I wont forget in a hurry!
lol
Karen

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 01:00:24 AM »
Aye, when you weigh anchor, best to pull in the slack and tie it off that way the boat only goes round in tight circles. Also good to have a snorkel with you incase you snag the old anchor in the rocks or a sharp knife :-)

Worst thing that happened to us was in 94 in Kassiopi, I couldnt pull myself into the boat up the tiny skinny ladder and had to beach the boat to get back in. Beefed up the old arm muscles soon after that I can tell you.

Booking.com