Author Topic: how much financially forum members would contribute as a total to the Arillas economy.  (Read 10345 times)

Offline Paul D

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
Hi, everyone. Phil has mentioned loads of forum members who were in Arillas the same time as him and Jen. I was just wondering that, how much financially forum members would contribute as a total to the Arillas economy.
  Anyone like to take a guess.
   Best Wishes   Paul D
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
I would like to think we do  a lot Paul... lets hope we can do the same next year!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Online justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Paul, it is why we book our accommodation direct. We can't bear the idea that our money adds to the corporate profits of the Tour Operators instead of the pockets of our Greek hosts. We all want to afford the time out there, but if it's the same price or less than the package, the locals benefit and you lose nothing.

This year was as predicted. A few were doing well, but the money spent in the venues was a fraction. To quote Angela, this year was S**t. Even the two remaining bars were struggling. As an individual you can't alter it, but you will see the demise of our favourite place unless you make your contribution. Jen and me did our bit, as you have read.

Let us all hope 2009 will be successful
Phil

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Hi Paul

Interesting question that ! - I'll take a stab at the answer.
1. The forum has 1860 members, of which, I would say 20% is "deadwood".
2. Based on 2007 figures, I think, about 15% of members visited with their families.

So, this year, using the same figures I calculate around 240 members + families who visit between May and Oct. - Possibly 360 people including children.
Split over a 6 month season we have 15 members/family per week. I would think Arillas needs about 500 bodies here each week to keep the economy healthy and Tavernas/Hotels/Bars etc operating profitably. So we end up with the figure of 3.00%.
( I'm prepared to be shot down in flames on these calculations! )
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway , Arillas has had yet another fine day of sun and with a warm sun and cool breeze I consider it good "tanning weather" without being overheated.
We're sitting here on 22 deg in the shade , at 6:30 pm, at the mo and a nice 21 deg in the house, without heating on!
A very quiet Arillas, but it is the 11th Oct. Using the above figure of 3% and, taking into account that i know 8 forum plus family here now, this means that Arillas has an approx visitor turnout of 240 people. - Does sound a bit low though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a lighter note, and taking into consideration that all these "workings out" have given me a headache, I have to say -
"Phil - your posting was a breath of fresh air to read."
I bumped into white van man today, parked in a layby, bawling his eyes out.
" I have nothing of interest to tell people now " - he said
" How do I get through the winter?"
( I then noticed a large piece of red meat spying on me from behind an olive tree so left very quickly ) - Hmmmmm!

From a winding down Arillas I bid you all -
Kalenichta! - (Ta Ta for non greek speakers)
Negg

Marymary

I agree  Phil ideally it is better to go independant as I did in May it was probably a little more expensive than a package, that wasn't the accomodation, it was the flight. In September the only reason why we came packaged was because for the dates I wanted the only flight I could get and they wanted a wapping £700. I had tried with XL, thankfully now they had nothing. It was exciting anyway doing it independant ,ringing around then organising the flight and taxi and would like to do that again, but unfortunately and I hate to say this if a package turns out to be much cheaper then that's what I would have to do

Take Care
Mary

Online justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Thanks both Eggy and Mary

that was my point - like ecofriendly, you don't always have to follow the sheep. But when the last minute package is cheaper than the flight only, you don't have a choice. We did that last October.

As for the calculations Eggy, Gollum would have agreed with you "my precious." Like all of us, the white van man will recover. WE WILL BE BACK!

love to both
Phil

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
Some good points Phil..
but don`t forget that the owners of the Hotels that are tied to the tour operators also have to make a living... so a good mix of independent & private is what is needed...I  think Arillas would struggle to survive in its present stae if all the tour ops pulled out....so don`t matter how we get there so long as we do...

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
Phil, I just loved your post. 

When we were at the Akti, we met 3/4 couples that were staying there, one that were staying somewhere else, that had booked with XL(via travel agents) to go to other places, in the middle of sept.  They had to rebook with travel agents and they had all ended up in Arillas.  They all loved it and were really pleased they came here and will come back again. So there are advantages and disadvantages as with everything, no matter how we get there, as long as we are there, in Arillas in the tavernas and places to stay. 

Billys brother is in Corfu this week, staying just outside of Sidari.  He has rung 3 times this week and each time he was in Arillas.  They love it, he has gone there with his wife, mother in law, and son, (2).   

Sharon x

Online justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
hi kes and sharon

Jen and me want Arillas to stay the same forver. We know that is impossible, but we aren't alone. Dimitris and his new family are doing their best to make the village wake up to that need. So many thanks to him.

We know that the mix of tour operators and independent is the key. Some owners couldn't survive without them. I will never change my view though - some of them cease trading, never pay the locals at all and they end up in liturgation. We know of one case right now.

Heaven can be quite a hard place to be...

Phil

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
Heaven can be quite a hard place to be...

We have to remember that this is only the heaven on earth run by us mere mortals *sigh* :)

To stick my verbal oar in the conversation; I favour the independent way every time because it is convenient for me, and secondly the cash I spend around the village with accommondation, food and drink goes directly to the person who's hand I place it in, as it should.
Life is good ;)

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
This year our (just the 2 of us)total spend for 1 week in Arillas was £1100,okay this did include the extra £250 we paid for our choice of moving accomodation,the money was spent in the main in Arillas,the taxis were booked via Olga's Travel,the Quad via Olga and the rest was distributed between several bars , eateries and a few local supermarkets, for us thats the norm and we like to think we have contributed to the local ecconomy.
Ang

Marymary

Even when you go package, it is true you contribute to the local economy, we too spent most of our money in Arillas, the bars, resteraunts hire  care and gifts to bring home and the gorgeous dress and tops I bought from Yiotas shop. I plan to also come back in May, hopefully independant, but living in the North East, Newcastle airport doesn't have the choice of flight to Corfu the likes of Gatwick and Heathrow do. So although I may have to only do package I like to think I am helping local businesses

Love
Mary

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
Mary like you we live in Newcastle and the flights aren't the best especially now XL has gone bust. We always go independent but this year got a package deal, it was so  cheap we couldn't turn it down.  Glad we did as even though we have been going to Arillas for years we had never gone into Rainbow previously, our grandson now says he doesn't want to stay any where else but that could be down to the chocolate spread sandwiches they were feeding him.  We spend an average of £1000 during the week and that is all spent in the village, very seldom have we gone into Corfu Town. 

Phil bet you and Jen kept Arillas thriving during your 4 weeks stay ha ha ha, can just see you now doing the circuit.

Jill
Jill XXX

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
Hi All!
I would agree with the comments made so far. Last May I travelled 'independant' and ok it cost more but it also gave me a lot more flexability. Choice of the local airport, Cardiff CWL, which I think is under used and has good facilities, it also saves a five hour journey to 'London' airports and the cost of travel to them, which if you add to the cost of a 'cheap' flight, there is not a lot of difference. My meal on the plane was included and the baggage allowance was a generous 23kg.
I too used the local taxi, booked by Dorita and I had a good transfer both to and from the Bardis Sun Hotel and the airport. I paid for my 'keep' in pounds stirling so Dorita could get the best exchange rate. That was all for her and none to a tour operator!
I had several conversations with Dimitris about the state of the economy in Arillas. He brought up an interesting point. Its great to have the old regulars like me (60 this year on the 7th. October) but we need more younger guests to 'continue the flow' for the future. I spent all my dosh in Arillas and had a very enjoyable time 'helping the economy'.
There does also seem to exist an attitude that Corfu is no longer 'the place to go' at travel agents, as they attempt to sell more lucrative venues in more 'exotic' locations. Flights are also less frequent and less choice than they used to be.
I have shown my photos to lots of people, who in general, are very impressed with Arillas and all my relatives have a copy of 'My Arillas 2008 slide show' as featured on this website and youtube! I try to do my best to advertise to others what they are missing.
I am already planning my next trip to my favorite resort. Flight from Cardiff with Thomsonfly in May 2009 is around £345, up £100 compared to this year. I will ring Dorita and book direct with her again and also the taxi as before. Maybe this year I will find someone to 'taxi share'. Some of my relatives have suggested they would like to come with me and make up the numbers with me as their guide, that would be great!
I think that Arillas is my ideal holiday location. I wouls hate to see it alter and become commercial. Its such a friendly, beautiful and relaxing place. As members of the website 'club' we can all do out bit to encourage others to 'check it out'. Hopefully, they will also become regulars.
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
I feel the same Martin...  our holiday this year was probably the cheapest by far booking independently and with Dorita.. the taxi fares are a bit of an extra but to us it is a bit of "luxury" as we dont smoke and we dont drink a lot (although we do eat a fair bit!!) but I think it is still cheaper.. (we dont buy much either as it is the same in all the shops, although Mike does buy his belts and I have to get something from the jewellery shop and some prezzies too)....we actually came home with money this year something we rarely do.

So we hope to do as this year, book with EJ and Dorita, she books the taxi and hey presto its all done and dusted and we are almost there, well we can dream..
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Booking.com