Author Topic: Size of the beach  (Read 132312 times)

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
  • Helios Court Arillas Corfu
    • Luxury Villa in Arillas
Size of the beach
« on: October 19, 2008, 01:08:56 PM »
I thought that during my visit in October 2008 the beach looked a lot wider (deeper) this year than the last couple particularly down at the Northern nudy end.

Some of the coastal path had given way over the course of the year but even where it had come down the beach was wider.

No wading to the nudy beach this year in particular.

This was true for 2 solid weeks so I doubt its a tidal effect and we caught the back end of low pressure before a high built that seems to be hanging in there even now.

I think though I have not only size envy of the nudy end (fnar fnar) The beach is lovely and sheltered down there and the water is significantly warmer in the shallows of the Northern end.

Its the best part of the beach dispite its lack of facilities.

I have one small complaint. I think some nudists forget that the Northern end is "clothing optional" not just soley for those who "dare to bare". There have been a couple of occasions when we have enjoyed a walk the length of the beach and come accross sunbathers being quite antisocial (trying to shock) in a clear display that we were not welcome because we had swimming costumes on.

Keep that up and I will campain to move you down to the southerly extreme of the beach and plant lots of Aloes down there!
Style, Luxury, Tranquillity
Helios Court Villa, Arillas, Corfu.
http://www.corfuvilla.holiday

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
Re: Size of the beach
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 06:12:11 PM »
Hi, Corfusoon.   I agree the beach is there for all to use and everyone has the right to do so.
       The part about you being made to feel unwelcome is the part I don`t understand. Most users of the north section are decent, likeable people.
  However it is also true that the casual walker will go onto that section of beach just to have a nose.
                 If some nudists are `antisocial`, then I agree it is wrong--  we are not all like that!
      Live and let live.
                Paul D
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 06:37:09 PM »
The beach this year was magnificent. At the south end you could get all the way along without risking life and limb on the rocks, and at the north end you could get to the naturist part without even wading past the outcrop. As you all say it is for everyone and there are bound to be controversies. Life works like that.

But all I can say is that Jen amd me will be back on it next summer whatever happens.

Phil

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 01:28:01 PM »
Agree with that JustPhil.  In May there was no need for wading to get to the North end.
I also agree with Paul D that the beach is for all whether wearing swim suits or not.
Sorry, Corfusoon, that you had some unfriendly behaviour just because you were in swimsuits.  For several years I removed my trunks but my wife kept her costume on, so we were truly a clothes 'optional' pair.  I must have converted her however because last year in Tingaki (Kos) she decided to join in and divested herself of her cossie.  She has got used to the free and wonderful experience of bathing as nature intended and has insisted on returning to Arillas this year - hooray!
Best wishes to all North Beach fans.
PJ

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 05:40:30 PM »
Now lets not any of us get into a debat about this, lets remember that it is not officaly a nudist beach and if cause for corcern the police could come down on all of us.
As most of you know Pete and I love that end of the beach, it is our idea of freedom and surely everybody on holiday has the right to feel comfortable and free wether clothed or not. Arillas is known for it's relaxed atmosfear so let us all relax all along the beach.

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Peckedhen

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 06:33:09 PM »
I hear what people are saying but we do not feel that we can wander freely to either of the 'ends' of the beach when they are occupied. Rather, we wait for a rainy day or walk along in the late evening, when we are less likely to meet a nudie.  Not that we are prudish - just don't want those that choose to bare all to think we are going for a nosy!!

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 03:15:58 PM »
Hi Folk
I see in another thread that Viv has heard the beach has suffered over the winter.  She fears that the Northern Beach may only be accessible by swimming round the little headland.

Has anyone more information? Is the Northern beach accesible? (Have just realised I don't know how many ccc or sss to put in accessible).
Regards
Pat

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 01:20:40 AM »
That will be a great shame.  It was fabulous last year, the best ever, really wide and easy to walk back and forth.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 01:30:30 AM »
So agree Jo, it was wonderful last summer. Jen would find it very difficult to get to the North end otherwise. But hey-ho. Whatever happens we'll be there, textile or otherwise.

Phil

Offline garythebike

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 03:12:39 PM »
Looking at the webcam recently, it would appear that the beach has disappeared completely (possibly just my bad eye sight), does anyone have any info ?

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 04:44:34 PM »
The size of the sandy  beach of Arillas is different almost  every day. It all depends on the current of the sea and the direction of the wind which moves the waves.
Sand is a liquid element with specific dynamic.
 The shape of the beach depends on whether or not the waves are constructive or destructive.
 Constructive waves move sand up the beach while destructive waves move the sand down the beach.
If the wind is from the south then the waves move the sand towards the sea resulting to a decrease of the width of our beach.
 When the wind blows from the north , then  it moves the sand out of the water making the beach wider. Three days of north west wind ( Maistro ) can give us a width up to 2 metres a day.

This is why most of you who regularly return to Arillas  are most of the times surprised by the shape of our beach .
 The beach profile changes seasonally due to the change in wave energy experienced during summer and winter months. It  is higher during the summer due to the gentle wave action during this season. Conversely, the beach profile is lower in the winter due to the increased wave energy associated with storms.

At the moment ( 30th April 2009) the beach is really narrow and since a few weeks seaweed has been washed out on the front of the beach  the way to the far end to the beach  to the north is not accessible  ( until today) but the area  under graziella and seabreeze taverna has now became Sandy  as the sand has moved in to this direction.

We really need a long weekend of North West and strong wind which would bring the shape of our beach back to normal.

Tomorrow 1st of May we are expecting the first package holiday makers as well as the local Corfiots  enjoining the first summer public holiday  (one of many)

Best regards,
Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna
The 10 things you don't know about Arillas

Offline Karen/Colin

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 05:21:48 PM »
You are so knowledgable- that made interesting reading.
Thankyou.

Whatever the width of the beach it will be bliss to be there instead of rainy UK.

Karen

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 06:07:22 PM »
Please folks, don't be put off by what people wear or don't wear. We are 'wearers' but still spent many hours during July last year wandering up and down the full length of the beach north to south. Sometimes you don't want to lie in the sun or drink in a bar (not often) or swim, so a lovely stroll is simply delightful. I'd hate to think people thought we were sneaking peeks as we went. I believe that almost everyone who uses the beach is happy no matter how you dress, its part of what makes the place so special.

Offline Karen/Colin

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 06:17:26 PM »
We too wandered up & down the beach a couple of times a day. my husband calls this 'Greek sunbathing' as they don't lie & bake in the sun like us Brits, they sit/lie in the shade of a brolley then occasionally wander up & down & still manage to get a lovely tan. It works too without the burn!
Karen

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
fab and interesting report boss...
and lets hope the visitors in may are in there many...yammas..c.u .in june

Booking.com