Author Topic: Size of the beach  (Read 132230 times)

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
Re: Size of the beach
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 08:33:02 PM »
that was really interesting and fascinating to read.  I remember one year whilst in Crete we did one of our regular trips to Elafonisi beach/lagoon and couldnt believe how much it changes each year.  It gets really windy there and assume the beach changes because of the reason Dimitris has explained.  It does make it exciting to see the changes though.

I cant believe the new season starts this week, all those fortunate people being the first to arrive in Arillas, wish I was one of them!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 08:52:13 PM »
Hi Folk
Thanks, Dimitris, for the explanation of how the beach is constantly changing.  Lets hope the north westerly wind does its stuff and gives us a nice wide beach.
With regard to sunbathing under a brolly - I think that at the height of summer you need the shade to avoid burning.  Julia and I spend at least as much time under the brolly as out especially for the couple of hours around noon when the sun is highest.
Am looking forward to developing my tan in September.
Best wishes
Pat

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline Oregano

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
    • Chris Ormston
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 10:53:41 PM »
Let's hope the beach recovers soon.  I always give the unstable section of cliff a wide berth, and it looks like I'll be up to my neck in water if I do so this year lol

riggers

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 11:05:04 PM »
You could always take a rope and abseil down the cliffs at the far end. lol  :)

riggers.....

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 11:37:01 PM »
It could be that the cliff path is out of bounds this year. :-(

When I was over at Easter I was told that the cliff path was blocked off as there had been a land slip. 

I suppose I should have moved my butt and checked it out but somehow it was just sooo relaxing sitting outside the Creperie I didn't want to move!!!

Eileenxx

riggers

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 11:43:58 PM »
Ohhhhhhhhh Eileen, i don't blame you. Glad you had a relaxing time  :) .

Maybe the May visitors can check it out and report back...:)

riggers....

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 01:57:19 AM »
Ah Eileen luvver, Jen and me so identify with that! Curiosity is one thing, but when you're enjoying life and at peace, why bother with it? You can always find out another way. How many times have we all ditched the plans and stayed put? I know we have, often. Our day at Dionysos taverna started out as a quick snack, and lasted all day. So what? Life is for living....

Phil

Offline georgia

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 02:23:05 AM »
Agree totally Phil and Jen. We find it best to plan hour to hour not day to day. I have to do so much planning at work, Arillas time is a total contrast to that.

Offline Oregano

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
    • Chris Ormston
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2009, 09:32:40 AM »
Yes, we find it best to make a provisional plan, then mull it over while enjoying a frappe, then have a bite to eat, then a Mythos, and finally a siesta.  Later, if we can still remember the original plan, we may or may not follow it through ;-)

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2009, 10:48:30 AM »
Ah Oregano,
That sounds like my idea of holiday planning!  :D
LOL,
lynn xx

Offline Paul C

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2009, 12:30:31 PM »
The only plan is working out where to have breakfast, in the appartment or maybe splash out and buy one, after that go where the mood takes you. Beach, Pool go for a walk or just sit on the balcony and relax. Gosh that sounds like hard work thinking that lot through. Better join oregano and enjoy a frappe. AND CHILL OUT !!

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2009, 01:15:22 PM »
Seems like an overwhelming vote for 'planning by the hour'!  Too right too!!  Holidays are for freedom from all plans, timetables and obligations...apart from - where to eat breakfast - what to drink - and - what sun factor shall I put on plans!!!

Eileenxx

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
  • Helios Court Arillas Corfu
    • Luxury Villa in Arillas
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2009, 07:20:07 PM »
There is a 1-2 m break in the cliff path. Its passable with a bit of daring.

Its before the nudy headland where you could decend for sometime to the beach.

Keep your fingers crossed for the beach. Labour day yesterday seems to mean that the beach clearance has paused. Lots more places open today.

There were a lot more tourists around down there today. I think they can quite rightly be disappointed in the state of affairs.

Given that Easyjet have now been flying for a month I think better preparation could be made. The season seems to be finishing unofficially a couple weeks earlier over recent years so maybe the businesses and municipality could respond accordingly.

Style, Luxury, Tranquillity
Helios Court Villa, Arillas, Corfu.
http://www.corfuvilla.holiday

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2009, 07:58:37 PM »
Hi Frank. Sorry we diverted the thread about the beach into avoiding plans and obligations and living the laid back, inclusive and friendly culture that is such a cornerstone of our Arillas. But that is what most of us do out there...

To be honest, if the beach is difficult this year, we will just divert our attentions to other parts of Arillas. We both adore the beach, and have been educated by Dimitris' posts explaining how it all works. Many of us spend most of our time there, but Arillas can provide much more.

Newbies just need to drop the guard and say hello to all and sundry. Arillas is about inclusion, about friendship and about joining in, in your own way. It is why so many are obsessed with it, including Jen and me.
Phil

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2009, 09:02:09 PM »
Hi everyone

Just got back today sadly. I can confirm that there is no beach at the moment but given the weather of the last few weeks, it didn't really matter!! Hopefully it will pick up but the last forecast I saw was for thunder and lightning - again - on Monday. No worries......the people we love are still there, the food as good as ever and of course, the odd glass of retsina to be consumed.

Will post a fuller report later but I'm afraid Viv will have to update you on access to the northern beach after her visit- I couldn't begin to get near it.

But as Dimitris says.....it can all change....
Sandy x

Booking.com