Author Topic: Zambeta Apartments - a very overdue review  (Read 25881 times)

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
Zambeta Apartments - a very overdue review
« on: October 23, 2008, 01:38:22 PM »

Hello there Everyone,

I'm ashamed to say that we've been back for over two weeks & I haven't posted a stitch - apart from the odd birthday greeting.
Sorry about this. It's all been a bit bonkers since we got back - but nevertheless, time to get writing, so here's the first of my holiday reports about where we stayed - the rather lovely Zambeta Apartments.

They were recommended to me by two excellent sources - Dimitris & Eileen & I would highly endorse them to anyone seeking independent lodgings.

We travelled on Sept 27th & stayed for a period of 10 nights.
The Easyjet flight was a breeze & even though we were delayed leaving Gatwick by just over an hour, we arrived in Arillas about 6.50pm - which we were very pleased about.

Han & her husband have managed the Apartments for many years & she has lived in Arillas for about 35 years or so.
They are set back from the main street. You head up the road from the Amourada & take a left turning on the corner where the little boutique is - I got a cracking ring from there incidentally :-)

Han was there to greet us & showed us up to the Apartment which was on the first floor & had one bedroom & a verandah overlooking their garden - which was a bit of a botanical treasure trove!

The first thing that hit me was how spotlessly clean it was. I've never had cause to complain about anywhere we've stayed, but this was pristine.
Not only that, but there were so many thoughtful touches like cooking oils, herbs & such like you didn't feel like you were walking into a souless environment - & it also meant you didn't have to fork out for basics if you were eating in - which we like to do on occasion.

There was also a 'Welcome Pack' on the kitchen table & this also impressed me for several reasons.
Rather than just being stuffed full of the ubiquitous 'Aqualand' flyers & such like, it had really interesting topics in there that included museums & churches I had never previously heard of or come across & while we didn't in fact go to see any of them this time, I would certainly try to fit in a couple next time.
The other thoughtful thing Han had done was print off a copy of the Arillas street map (which Justlookin created) & even though I'd printed one for us to take, I think that was such a useful thing to include.

Kitchen - spacious with a fine assortment of cooking utensils & great little cooker. The bathroom small but not cramped & a shower that included hot water - most welcome when we'd been out all day - especially as the nights were starting to draw in & it was a little cooler.

A big bedroom with extremely comfortable beds & the best pillows we have ever slept on while away!
Big plump pillows which really did the trick after a long day enjoying oneself :-)
There are mosquito nets which helped Christian enormously as he does tend to get chomped a bit, but the real highlight for me was sitting outside on the balcony soaking up the atmosphere of the village & admiring the garden below.

We could see & hear the sea (sorry about that, rubbish grammer!) & there were fields to our right which if you follow them round take you down a back road to the sea front.
What we especially enjoyed were listening to Han's demented chickens spluttering away.
It sounds strange, but if you live in a city you get very used to city sounds & something simple like a Cock crowing & chickens sounding a bit manic like they've taken one too many Pro-plus is ever so engaging & it's these simple things that really made it for us.

The Apartment was cleaned on a regular basis - at least twice when we were there, but fellow Forum members I have to tell you the price & this was 250E for 10 days!! Now that's what I call a bargain & it was worth every single penny (or cent, if I'm being pedantic).

If you want quiet, layed back accomadation with a vista that's second to none & a charming friendly host - please look no further than the Zambeta Apts.
They are gorgeous & like Arnie said in one of his movies "I'll be back!".

BeckyB x :-)

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
Re: Zambeta Apartments - a very overdue review
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 02:37:55 PM »
Fab report Becky, sounds like you had a great time and enjoyed your visit!!

Roll on next year then??!

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 03:10:37 PM »
Thanks for this really useful report Becky. Zambeta sounds ideal for us being "down the hill" and will tick all our boxes. They have a website for those who want to follow up - you can access it from the Acommodation tab in the menu on here. You just have to click on the picture there.

Best wishes
Phil

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 03:20:41 PM »
Sounds lovely Becky....another useful place to know about.
Sandy x

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 04:18:54 PM »
Wondered where you were Becky.. thought you were quiet!!

Lovely report though... we had been passed Zambeta many times and wondered what they were like... will keep them in mind... thanks!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 04:23:48 PM »

I have been a bit quiet BG haven't I? :-)
Just plain manic at this end, but I think I'm back on board again now.
Thanks for the feedback guys, it is a lovely, lovely place & I can't say enough for it :-)

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 08:32:13 PM »
Great report Becky,have you booked for next year ?
I am still looking but prices have deffo gone up a tad it might be we that we book after xmas and talking of xmas thats not a million miles away lol
I must admit i wouldnt mind staying at the Zambeti, i know what you mean about the hens the Mathraki had a couple that used to pipe up on a morning after saying that it saves you taking an alarm !
                                            Tony

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 11:53:41 PM »
I dont know whether the hens or what we had "the flip flop man" at 5.30 a.m. every morning is worse..  he came to clean the pool and move the sunbeds around at the BS Hotel. (that is what we named him anyway) :-)
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 12:08:05 AM »
Ha! Ha! :-)
Flip Flop Man! What a funny name BG!  I know what you mean though.
The hens/Cock/chickens were a law unto themselves - bonkers. but quite lovely :-)
Aah! Happy days :-)

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »
Thanks for that Becky, they sound brilliant.  When we stayed at Mathraki, we walked down to the beach that way past the Zambeta and wondered what they were like.  They look gorgeous from outside. 

They are excellent value for money.

Sharon x

Offline biglee

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
    • clements locksmiths
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 02:34:17 AM »
nice one becky - very usefull to know

big lee - lizzy
I LOVE ARILLAS IT'S GODS LITTLE ACRE.

DONT ASK FOR CHANGE IT'S PERFECT THE WAY IT Is

Offline suebachorski

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 06:34:03 PM »
We have just returned from a very enjoyable fortnight in Arillas, staying at Zambeta. We found Han to be a very gracious, helpful yet unobtrusive host. We were particularly appreciative of her offer to collect and return us to the airport, at ungodly hours, since we had booked night flights. This was incredibly kind of her as we were travwlling with a young child and it removed a lot of stress, re having to find a taxi, negotiate a reasonable price, etc, all at 2am in the morning ... she didn't charge us a penny either!
The apartments are indeed spotlessly clean, good value and well appointed & Han's garden in lovely. She speaks excellent English & is well-informed about the local area, history & wildlife of the island, etc. All in all, a very positive experience & highly recommended.
Sue.

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 09:59:22 PM »
Just like the lovely family next door at the Mathraki, Han and Yannis are wonderful, quiet and unassuming hosts.  I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at Zambeta, along with the Mathraki they are very special to me and all my family.

Eileenxxx

Booking.com