Author Topic: Places to visit around Arillas, by feet or wheels.  (Read 63663 times)

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Places to visit around Arillas, by feet or wheels.
« on: November 03, 2008, 04:02:40 PM »
I thought I would try a new topic , just for the Winter. You won't see me posting on it every day but Wegg and I hope to potter around the next few months and anything which we feel may be of interest will be passed on.
Obviously many places some of you will have been to and ,equally any extra input to this post is very welcome.

So.... What better place to start is San Stephanos. Some of you have visited by car and many brave souls have walked it. ( Some brave souls walk even further )

The "Three W's" Internett bar/cafe gets a mention.

Not only does it open in the Winter, but also they have put up a dartboard and the plan is, for them, to make a small team to play me, and my lot, " Home n Away"
Our Home board being at Night Owl , Afionas. It will be interesting.

That said it's a very nice place to be with friendly owners and very lovely surroundings.
Could be just the place to rest those legs after walking up all those hills!
( On the "main road" into San Stephanos, very near the basketball court )

Cheers
Negg

Maggie

Re: Places to visit around Arillas, by feet or wheels.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 04:06:39 PM »
I'll be watching this thread with great interest. Happy pottering.......what a great way to spend your winter!

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 05:54:29 PM »
Sounds all too familiar Eggy. Our sister village named Butleigh (we are Baltonsborough - the "borough wonderland") have a GRUDGE darts match every new year's day. There is a trophy, and all the players wear team tee-shirts etc. It is really a glorified p**s-up but causes much amusement and competition. One year someone actually set fire to the doors on the cupboard which housed the dartboard and now "the ashes" are held by the winners each year. We meet at about ten in the morning and get psyched up in the Greyhound (our local) then at 3pm various weird forms of transport take us to Butleigh when all hell breaks loose. Darts get played in the meantime...

Hope yours works out as well, and becomes the village tradition like it is here.

Phil

riggers

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 07:53:05 PM »
A fine idea Negg and Wegg. Looking forward to your posts on this thread.

Good luck with Darts.

cheers riggers....

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 08:30:59 PM »
eggy .
mines the bakery every morning ,mouth watering cakes ,bread and more.............yammas

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 08:54:24 PM »
But you can't throw darts at the bakery's lemon pies - they are too delicious... yammas. The Athina at the top of the hill (opposite Anna's) is missed out in all that. Their cakes and ice creams are also to die for.

Phil

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 08:58:26 PM »
This tread sounds a great idea. While talking about S.S. I must mention the Little Prince a fantastic breakfast makes it worth the walk over the cliffs also they do smashing cakes. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 09:51:54 PM »
There's loads in San Stef to see and do. We saw a tiny bit of it in 2002/3 but have not had time to get back yet. We would need to be over there for at least 2 months before we did all our Arillas stuff and wanted to move any further.

However sad that is, it doesn't stop anyone else from exploring and enjoying the larger parts of NW Corfu. There is an awful lot to see. I think your thread will run and run Eggy, and I for one will follow it regularly.

Viv, I think I remember the Little Prince. Would Jen have been too many sheets to the wind, because she doesn't remember? I think our friend Linda ate far too many cakes there for her own good! The rest of us sat and had another vodka... Might have been somewhere else, but not sure.

It will never be another Sidari though - they are so different

Phil

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 12:58:07 AM »
Looking forward to your postings on this topic with anticipation

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 03:17:58 PM »
So, a place to consider , for those walkers, around is Heracles Bar.

ΙΡΑΚΛΕΣ as spelled in Greek

This is a snack bar/cafe which prepares very good basic meals and looks after it's customers well.
The photos do not do it justice but, note from the clientle here, there must be a lot going for it.

You all may have seen this, growing from a concrete shell in May 08. It is now ready for business and will look after it's winter customers well.
Summer customers may be in for a treat here.

Equally , what a nice place to be for those walkers to and fro Arillas who want to sit and unwind with an orange juice ---------- or something stronger maybe.

A good place to be and I felt very comfortable and at ease. They deserve to do well as much time and effort has been put into the preparation.
( Up the hill past Tria Adlelphia and Alekos garage )
Cheers
Negg

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 03:30:08 PM »
Meant to go in there on my last day Negg but time ran out.....
Sandy x

Maggie

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 08:07:35 PM »
I'm looking forward to visiting Heracles...

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 04:01:55 PM »
Is that further than Eileens place Eggy?  I dont remember seeing that when we were on our walk... we did that circular walk past Eileens up to the junction (right to Afionas and then onwards passing Nightowl).

What are those places that are being finished off almost opposite the Tria Adelphia, I thought it was going to be a beauty salon one time or is that Heracles?
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
It's further out of the village Blondegirl - not up Eileen's road. Just keep going and it's on the right hand side. Opposite Tria is a language school - or so it says -  and I heard rumours there was also to be a pharmacy there.
Sandy x

Offline gav.madeline

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 06:05:01 PM »
Hi eggy,

Madeline and I walked up and over hill in October and lunch and a few at night owl on the way back, great local to have. Good luck with the darts .

G & M

Ps Arrilas was excellent in October will be back...

Booking.com