Author Topic: all you Arillas addicts are now sounding so much like a clique  (Read 35082 times)

Offline Valdasteve

all you Arillas addicts are now sounding so much like a clique
« on: November 24, 2008, 05:31:31 AM »
guess what!  all you Arillas addicts are now sounding so much like a clique it's unbelievable!  For all you possible new addicts out there, please don't be put off by the clique! You won't see them anyway and meanwhile you will have one of the best laidback totally relaxing holidays you could possibly find anywhere in this world. If you want somewhere totally rural. authentic. relaxing, with just the right amount of tavernas and no horrid noisy bars around, then go to Arillas and you will not be disappointed!

Offline Ang

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
all you Arillas addicts are now sounding so much like a clique
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 01:41:16 PM »
Guess we are a clique Valasteve....just a group of people who share the same interest some less or more, whats the problem with that?We all still log on during the closed season and chat about Arillas or many other topics and hope that new members have a very good overview of Arillas, yes we may be an eclectic mix of characters but then thats life.
Ang

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Re: all you Arillas addicts are now sounding so much like a clique
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 02:01:12 PM »
Valdasteve

Good Post! - Just what we all need to keep these fingers working in the Winter.

The biggest beauty about all "Forum Addicts" is that they never bother or interfere with anyone's holiday and you are quite right in saying that you may rarely see them.
( Even I hide away sometimes , especially if it's my round )

But.... A  good desciption of Arillas.
( Wait till your posts go from 13 to 130 - 2/3 weeks maybe? )

Cheers
Negg

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 10:05:16 PM »
Valdasteve.  Welcome to the forum.   Good post.

Eggy, good reply!
                            Best Wishes  Paul D

Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline Valdasteve

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 03:37:04 AM »
And best wishes to all of you! But I still think you're a clique! Perhaps if I'd been there as many times as you all apparently have been, I'ld be as cliquei too. But you know, or perhaps you don't that in many ways you may well be putting some people off from visiting this wonderful piece of heaven. I really wasn't too sure about Arillas after I read all the "in- isn'it wonderful" stuff on the site. You begin to wonder if it's real or inhabited by really cliquei folk who just want to talk to each other and sing each others praises. But maybe that is your aim. Too many people could spoil the place after all. Still wouldn't want to put anyone off visiting this low key countryfied village, if that's  what they're after. No better restaurants anywhere and no better relax anywhere. Yammas I guess I should say to you all.

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 10:43:22 AM »
if clique is french for friendly supportive bunch of people then i am glad to be part of a "clique".  I personally dont give a stuff about your opinion and thank god i would never meet you there.

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 01:26:46 PM »
But you know, or perhaps you don't that in many ways you may well be putting some people off from visiting this wonderful piece of heaven.

Good point Valdesteve.

I met some people in the summer who said they didn't dare become forum members for fear of upsetting people on the forum and then bumping in to them in Arillas.

I think the forum can be a bit intimidating at times.

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 06:19:57 PM »
Hi All,
I think that this website and the forum does what it was intended to do. It keeps friends in contact throughout the year, keeps up to date the goings on in our favorite resort and airs the views of those that know it well. I fail to see where this 'clique' label has come from.
The forum provides an extreemly well run site for members and guests to get  and exchange information and to support each other through good and bad times. Everyone is welcome to join in.
Valdesteve, thanks for your input and welcome!
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 06:24:18 PM »
Sharon
It's only me who gets the jelly babies then?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love any posts that contain well worded constructive critiscism or the "Food for thought"  posts, such as Valdasteve's" which should make us all take a step back and give the comments therein some serious thinking.
I remember last year when it was suggested that the photos I posted, of the changes going on in Arillas, could be spooling the suprise for some people.
Good point and made me think about it.

For all we know, people could be thinking this is like an ex-pat community in North Corfu so no new members should be frightened of putting any constructive comments here. So c'mom, any more new forum members with an input, go for it.

One thing I know Arillas does need, and I have heard this from a few worried appt and
Taverna owners, is the need for more younger people. There must be many families who would love Arillas as it caters for all ages. I would hate to think families are being frightened away. Children are the future here, as in most resorts.

Or as Martin W has just said. The forum keeps friends in contact etc etc. Maybe we should not be looking at things too deeply. - But still food for thought!

Fingers to keyboard people.
Cheers
Negg

Offline briant

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 07:05:06 PM »
Hi Eggy,Could you clarify the statement(Arillas needs more younger people)to what age group are you refering?.The reason we switched to Arillas 5 years ago was because of the way Sidari ,Agharavi and other Corfu resorts had been BLIGHTED and thats not to strong a word,by the beer swilling ,foulmouthed,obscene T shirt wearing,jet skiing paragliding young people..Because Arillas has non of the aformentioned is the reason we like it.And before you get the impression I,m a Head up my A... stick in the mud I,m ex Merchant Navy and Regular Army (Paras) so I cant believe the local business owners can be serious in their comments,best regards Brian

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 07:13:57 PM »
Eggy very well put, but its a forum and members old and new have a right to make any comments they so choose as like members have a right to challenge and maybe disagree, diplomacy is all well and good but if some one wants to push up above the parapet then what ever.

Now on the need for younger customers to Arillas  which is what you say the business community of Arillas would like,that's a good question for debate,with the current UK economic climate and the same in Europe its going to be a difficult time to attract these new families/ customers as the money is just not there. There would need to be a very good USP.Yes Arillas is a safe place an area of outstanding beauty with a community that holds dear its roots.

Arillas has to decide on who.what, when and how to attract that customer profile,some of the retailers have identified their markets and I believe they will do well.
Anyway why do they think that the younger market will make them more money, its fact that the grey pound is still far stronger in the uk than new money.

I deal with such like businesses on a daily basis and belive me its hard in the uk at this time and will be so for the next 18mths.

All just my opinion
Ang

Offline tracey&peter

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 09:22:53 PM »
We have been going to Arillas for 10 years now and have been a forum member for as long as it has been running and I would not class myself as being part of a "clique" we go twice a year and you know I have only ever seen one or two of the forum members out and about - to be honest I dont go looking for them - Arillas is a lovely place with such friendly locals and thats what we go for not to go around looking for people to talk to!!

I think some of these postings are really uncalled for and it is sad that people feel such a need to impose their negative thoughts on us all - but hey ho each to their own - you sad people whoever you are

Tracey & Peter Smith
Solihull
West Midlands

riggers

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 09:49:39 PM »
This person/persons must get out of bed really early to impose these negative thoughts on us all. Well i do own up to having a drink or 2 while in Arillas if i happen meet forum members (big deal). My choice, i do as i please.

yammas (am i allowed to say that ???)

riggers....

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 09:58:24 PM »
Riggers you earned it so enjoy, if you meet a few arillas forum members  you get along with then thats a bonus, its always you and your family's choice afterall its your holiday.
Ang

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 10:25:55 PM »
Seems to me that Eggy`s comments on younger people...has been mistrued...
I am sure he  meant younger couples & young families,and not gangs of marauding huddies (re 18-30 club) which is obviouly required when all us Silver surfers have bit the dust..(ha ha ...I know I dont mean everyone).
I`m not sure what the breakdown is on age groups...but I certainly don`t think Arillas is turning into a retirement Village...I think we have seen an increase in younger families over the past few years...and rarely see any bad behaviour..(apart from myself that is)...Also maybe the owner of the business in Arillas has got it wrong..its a fact that the middle to older generations have more disposable income..and I would think probably spend more on Alcohol & food than the rest put together...(0pen to debate)

Re Valadasteve`s comments...

I think he has a good point in that people visiting the forum could be put off..but it is a members forum just like many others...and open to all even those with negative and dispariging comments....which is what gets a good debate going...it can get very cosy in here at times .......
As for bumping into forum members I think I have probably met maybe half a dozen over the past 7 years....Or maybe they have just avoided me...!!!!!!

Booking.com