Author Topic: all you Arillas addicts are now sounding so much like a clique  (Read 35086 times)

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Re: all you Arillas addicts are now sounding so much like a clique
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 10:31:38 PM »
Hi Briant
By younger people I mean the "up to" 15 ish year olds who come with parents and grow to enjoy Arillas.
( And then , maybe take over from us, when we can't get the wheelchair on the plane )

Maybe the young couples, "in love" for the first time, who don't want the beer and throwing sun loungers in the pool but just to enjoy the place & each other's company.
Or the responsible teenagers who respect other peoples space and just want to enjoy.

Local business owners don't want a Kavos but just a nice reminder occassionally that Arillas will continue to flourish for all.

Ang
All constructive and non agressive comments have to be welcome on a forum or it becomes one sided. So I agree with what you say.

All us forum members aren't getting any younger and Arillas will need fresh blood to survive. Surely if Man utd, for example doesn't continue to scout for younger players then Man Utd will soon be forgotten.

I hope this post comes out the way it's intended to. Sometimes, when re-read, they can be so different.

On a lighter note - RIGGERS - A drink or two? When was the last time you had a drink or two? - I always lose count when you're about.
Cheers
Negg

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 10:54:57 PM »
Jen and I have met many new people we otherwise would not have, and who are now real friends, by being on the forum. Real people for whom we hold great affection and respect and who return those sentiments. We have also met a significant number in Arillas who didn't even know the forum existed and found friendship with them. It is inevitable that people of like mind who have much in common will naturally congregate and help each other in any way they can.

In all enterprises of this size there are cliques. But usually more than one. Some have positive aims and others negative. In our daily lives we all have cliques - we have a circle of friends with like minds and in effect exclude others from it.

I feel that those who know every brick in the road, every nook and cranny of Arillas and give their time and effort on the forum to answer questions, post reports and use it to maintain established friendships and foster new ones are one of the positive ones.

And of course there is the clique who want to undermine it and suggest those who are prominent on the forum are somehow spoiling Arillas for others. The logical outcome would be to disband the forum. Never!

I have always maintained that every forum member should be allowed to express their views without fear of retribution. Done diplomatically (which certainly applies in this case as recognised immediately by Eggy) and without personal comments this is an important aspect of it.

Have read a lot of wisdom on this thread.

Phil

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 11:14:35 PM »
Sorry folks but windbag has some more thoughts on the age of holidaymakers (which seems to me to be another subject.)

In our time there we have met many young people in Arillas, Greek and tourist alike. Have even posted pics. They were inevitably having a very enjoyable holiday / life and we have never seen any trouble caused by them. These are the majority of young people generally and not the extreme few who damage everything they go near.

To quote briant Arillas is not
BLIGHTED and thats not to strong a word, by the beer swilling, foulmouthed, obscene, T shirt wearing, jet skiing, paragliding young people

Heaven forbid we attracted armies of the few to Arillas.

But Eggy is right - the image of kes' blue-rinse
retirement Village
would be all too easy to portray on the forum and more importantly in Tour Operators brochures, or on social sites like Facebook etc. I try do my bit, working as I do with College students, to promote Arillas as a destination for a great summer holiday. Some have taken me up on it. On another thread TerryW says let's do our bit. It is important.

Phil

Offline annie

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 11:37:06 PM »
I have been going to Arillas for the last 5 years and my soon to be 16 and 13 year olds love it. As a parent when my children reach an age when they can travel on their own Arillas is  top of their list and they want to take their friends. They have met a good group of youngsters all 12 - 17 and they all behave with dignity. Some of their parents now have holiday homes in Arillas and they look forward to meeting up in the Summers.Long may it continue. Hopefully in the future when they are in relationships of their own they will return bringing new busines to Arillas
Annie

riggers

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 12:39:59 AM »
Well i don't really know how to reply to this again, I am not an educated man but i know when someone is taking the ....  . Now come on don't we all give our bit to this forum ? I have read loads of posts saying how we have helped the newcomers. We all LOVE  (ARILLAS).

Negg i have had less than 1 or 2 honestly:)

Guests> Us members give the truth about Arillas. (pure magic and relaxing hols)

riggers........

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2008, 01:43:26 AM »
riggers you are just as educated as any of us. And in all the right subjects. Lot of sense in your post - we all help the newcomers and put very few off.

You said it all
Us members give the truth about Arillas. (pure magic and relaxing hols)

look forward to those two with you and Sue next year. Or three, or four or... unless we meet Egg - then bets are off....

Phil

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2008, 01:10:04 PM »
Hi All!
I have read all the comments on this thread and there are some good points raised.
I think I have said this before on another topic, that this website is unique in the way it serves both residents and visitors to Arillas. I can't think of another website that is dedicated to any other resorts I have been to in the past.
Last time I was in Arillas I had a long chat to Dimitris and he agreed that there was a need to get younger folk interested in the resort because the likes of me (60 this year) need 'replacements' for the next generation to enjoy its friendliness, beauty and tranquility. We were all 'young' once, and we weren't yobs and hoodies! We just need to keep 'the conveyor' of new visitors running. The area by its very nature will sort out who likes it and who doesn't. I met several people in May who said it was too quiet and they went to Sidari every day! I also met several newcommers from the U.K. who felt as I did on my first visit and appreciated it for its relaxing quiet qualities.
I think Arillas is more family oriented and will stay that way. Those who like the 'Kavos' element are already catered for elsewhere on Corfu.
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2008, 01:29:23 PM »
The area by its very nature will sort out who likes it and who doesn't.

I agree Martin.

There will always be people who arrive in Arillas 'by mistake' i.e. not suited to Arillas or vice versa. But they won't be repeat visitors, will they?

As for attracting a younger element, we meet young families every year, there for the first time and already hooked.
I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Angie

Offline Melissa

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 01:42:42 PM »
I think the regulars on this website make it what it is, sorry if this offends, but Im a younger visitor on this website and feel like I have been made to feel welcome by all forum members and don't feel like theres a clique at all, just people who know eachother chatting and being friends. Everyone always offers loads of great advice and the pictures everyone posts and by talking about their experiences only makes me more excited to go to Arillas next year! Xx

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2008, 03:39:50 PM »
don't feel like theres a clique at all, just people who know eachother chatting and being friends.

Exactly!  Guess what Valdasteve, there's your answer.

Offline Valdasteve

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2008, 04:35:39 PM »
Well I certainly seem to have started a debate which is surely healthy. Incidentally , the definition of a clique is "a small exclusive group" which  judging by SharonF's original contribution certainly justifies my use of the word.  Also, if you read Angiem's original reply, you will know why I started this topic - I too came across people who said that they didn't dare join this forum for fear of offending/getting in the way of, the regulars.
But, Eggy's, martinW's and other's comments absolutely support the view that not everyone wears the same blinkers and that being so, I may end up being a forum regular myself.
Once again, yammas to you all.

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2008, 04:51:38 PM »
What is exclusive about my reply??  I saw your post as an intention to wind people up, I ignored you at first then your reply after eggy & co's very nice polite replies saying you still think the forum is a clique, I took as an insult, nothing to do with being "cliquey".  As is said, everybody is entitled to their own view, mine is that you're a wind up merchant, i'm just voicing my OWN opinion.

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2008, 05:14:44 PM »
That's it I'm done and gone.  I have always logged on to the forum to cheer myself up and chat to the lovely people on here, now I feel I cant say anything because of the likes of valdasteve.

Been nice knowing you all, promise if i do see you in Arillas, i'll just be myself not "cliquey".

Sharon x

Offline keefy

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2008, 05:35:39 PM »
SharonF  Don't go it will be a shame for you to leave...believe me I was once a "cliquey person" but the doctor gave me some antibiotics kept me off the drink for a week and I was cured. LOL

DON'T GO SharonF who will take the mickey out of me then.

I know I know I can see you all Forming a Queue to take the Mickey

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2008, 05:42:29 PM »
Don't you dare go Sharon.  Do as I do and just ignore posts like these...it's not real life and not worth commenting on or getting our knickers in a twist for (well not mine anyway!!!).  Please don't allow something like this spoil the fun that you get from this forum and what you have to offer it.

Eileenxxx

Booking.com