Author Topic: mexican wave  (Read 5411 times)

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
mexican wave
« on: February 06, 2009, 03:33:22 PM »
I am going almost demented!!   My scroll bar takes ages to roll down, I can only move my mouse wheel once to get the thing to scroll down and it rolls down very slowly- its like watching the waves come in at Arillas!!!

We got rid of Norton this week... got AVG now and was working perfectly until yesterday afternoon, no virus/bugs or anything, did a scan as I thought that might be the problem.  A friend suggested google chrome as it might be my browser... I thought it was just an Ebay problem but it happens on here, yahoo and even my Windows documents... does anyone have a brain"wave" (sorry about the pun)... oops there it goes again.    I sound like I know what I am doing but I havent a clue and am a bit worried to tinker about with it in case it goes completely awol.  :-(
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
Re: mexican wave
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 08:12:18 PM »
HI BG go into control panel double click on the mouse in there click the tab wheel action and increase number of lines you want it to scroll mines set on 3 and its fine
                                  Tony

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 06:00:33 PM »
great thanks Tony I will try it out now and get back to you!

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 06:04:20 PM »
it is a bit faster but it isnt right... still like a wave.. definately something not right.

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 06:51:52 PM »
Hi,
Sounds like you are trying to scroll the web page faster than your browser can download the information. This could be due to your Internet connection running very slow, but I would take a guess that your Anti-Virus program (AVG) is currently running a scan. If you followed all suggestions when you installed it then you will have it set to automatically run a scan at a certain time every day (I think it defaults to 12.00 mid-day). If you are being a good eco person and are trying to watch your carbon footprint by turning your computer off when you are not using it, then chances are that as soon as you turn it on AVG thinks "Ooo - I missed my mid-day scan, better start one now" and that slows EVERYTHING right down.
Open AVG Control panel and go to "Tools" on the menu bar at the top - select Advanced Settings and in the Schedule section take the tick out of the box "Enable this task" to stop automatic scans. You can manually start a scan after you have been onto the Internet and before you shut down the computer, that way it's running the scan when you have finished doing what you want to be doing, so it doesn't slow you down. AVG will still be protecting your computer as long as you have left the "Resident Shield" component active, so you don't have to worry about being left unprotected whilst on the Internet.

Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Offline kes

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 10:19:48 PM »
Most common cause is spyware or virus infection...if you think you are ok then....

Disable the Phishing Filter if running IE7...  Tools = phishing filter= turn off automatic  website checking......

If websites visited are made up of lots of frames...The filter has to check them all before loading the page...So long as you are not in the habit of visiting dodgy sites you will be ok...(IE6 didn`t have the filter)

Also  go to Tools=manage addons.....disable SSVhelper class..

both can easily be turned back on..

these two tips should  definately increase loading times...

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 12:23:03 PM »
Thanks everyone... obviously I didnt understand half or most of what you all suggested although I did try them out ... I  tried my mouse settings too but it wasnt that... or so my son said, he swapped it and tried his... anyway he sorted it out.... it was my video driver or something... he did nvidia (does that make sense to anyone).

now these are the directions he gave me if it happens again!

Start.. control panel..  system hardware.. device manager.  a yellow flag will come up where the problem is.. display adapter.. Nvidia !  R.click disable NOT uninstall.. click ok NOT function... minimize... wait.. right click and refresh.. go back and enable it... then it  goes BING! BING! BING! (so he says) then restart..  Hey!  I dont know what it means but it worked anyway!  Hopefully it wont happen again and I dont have to do all that.

Thanks though guys - all suggestions gratefully accepted...

Offline Baldy Barry

• Forum Fanatic
    • myspace.com
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 02:24:27 PM »
Hiya Blondegirl !
I had a similar prob a while ago and my son (clever clogs) showed me what I had done wrong.
I'd unknowingly pressed on the scroll wheel which causes it to scroll slowly with a mind of it's own.
He pressed it and it went straight back to normal , tutted and walked off mumbling summat about "senile old man" ,"stick to reading" , "go and have a lie down".
Doncha just loooove teenager's !
Hope I don't burn !

Booking.com