Author Topic: Problems, problems.  (Read 9577 times)

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
Problems, problems.
« on: February 15, 2009, 01:13:25 PM »
For some time now I've had a problem accessing the forum.  I can live with it as on the few occasions (such as now!) that I do get access I quickly read through all the topics before I get locked out again!  For the rest of the time I can get by with the 'Small Talk' column.

Anyway...my latest problem seems to be that the page & text has got MASSIVE and I have to scroll across the page to read the posts.  This doesn't happen with any other website that I access. 

Can anyone help with this latest problem?

Eileenxxx
P.S...I'm going to try and keep the forum 'open' all day today because if I close down the page I'll never get back in again!

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
Re: Problems, problems.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 02:27:17 PM »
Hi Eileen,
I have just updated the software on my Apple Mac G4 to OSX.Leopard and had a few problems with the internet. The OSX operating system is a lot different to that of a P.C. Not sure what you are using. I spent a lot of time trying to work out the problem. It turned out to be the new Firefox update which installed just before the problem started. Apparently there have been a few 'unexpected' bugs in the new version which is affecting the stability of the internet connection on certain sites. Mine kept 'logging out' and refusing to stay logged in for any length of time. Seems a lot better today.
 OSX is usually immune to bugs and viruses but it seems that Firefox has apologized and looking at a further update to solve the problem.
I'm no expert but my eldest son is and he gave me the info!
Hope this helps,
Martin.

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 02:43:45 PM »
Hi Martin,

Thanks for that information, it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who has been experiencing problems logging on.  I use Firefox so it looks like I will have to wait until the come up with an update to solve this problem.

The problem I'm having with a the extra large page only began yesterday, have you any idea what might be causing that?

Thanks again,

Eileenx

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 02:48:41 PM »
Eileen, what version of Internet explorer are you using?

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 02:56:13 PM »
Hi Eileen,
With my system I had to go into internet 'preferences' to reset the ip addresses to get back online as something had changed them. I would think that something has changed the 'print size' settings on your machine which should also be in your 'preferences'. part of the program. Is it just the Arillas site, or generally on the internet? I'll give my son a call later. He should know.
Martin.

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 02:59:50 PM »
If using IE7 ..go to page menu...select zoom...set to 100%...

Then Text Size...set to Medium

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 03:14:20 PM »
Whey hey!  Thanks Kes. I'm using Firefox so it took me a few minutes to find the Zoom and to going through the options one by one...Reset fixed it!  I can now see the whole page at once! :-)

Martin.  I changed my IP when trying to solve the access problem but it didn't make any difference.  I'd appreciate if you could ask your son if he has any idea how to solve this problem which is only happening with the Arillas Forum.

Thank guys for your help.

One problem solved another to go.

Eileen.xxx

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 03:34:34 PM »
Eileen ,unless you have a fixed IP adress then you should set to Auto..
who is your broadband suplier?
If you are connected via ethernet cable then open network connections in Control Panel..select the network you are using  ie Local area or wireless right click & select properties  select the Internet protocol(TCP/IP)  and then properties  put a dot in Obtain IP Address automatically and also dot in Obtain DNS server address automatically

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
Hi Kes,

Pipex are my Broadband supplier.

Phew...that took a bit of searching (for a tech' illiterate like myself) but but I finally got there and found that properties were already set at what you suggested. 

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

I've stayed logged on all day, I dare not leave the website as for sure I won't get in again.

Eileenx

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 10:19:15 PM »
Hi Eileen try holding down the Ctrl button down then press the minus button next to 0 on the keyboard that should alter it or + button if you want larger fonts lol

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 02:52:10 PM »
Thanks Tony.  I've pm'd you. :-)

Eileenx

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 05:09:46 AM »
Hi Eileen,
Sorry I have been a while getting back to you. I have discussed the matter with my son. He says that the problem is not necessarily anything to do with your computer! Apparently Firefox works in a different way to Microsoft explorer. On about 96% of websites worldwide it works great being much quicker than other search engines. On some sites there are problems, depending on how the site is configured. This leads to problems like the ones you have experienced. Your software/hardware combined with Firefox and the configuration of the Arillas site has caused a 'glitch'. Try using Microsoft Explorer as your search engine on the Arillas site. If this works O.K. then the problem is with firefox not your P.C., assuming all your addresses and settings are correct.
Hope this makes sense,
Martin.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 11:41:12 AM »
This is what I would do.

Go to Control Panel > Add and Remove Programs > Remove Firefox. You would lose cookies and bookmarks but sometimes removing cookies can be a good thing.

Then using Internet Explorer download Firefox (latest version) and reinstall.

Also download Google Chrome as it is a very good browser.

If this does not cure the problem it is most likely a spyware or configuration problem.

I would run "Spybot Search and Destroy" and "Superantispyware" to check for problems.

riggers

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 07:20:30 PM »
I've just downloaded google chrome Terry, using it now and its very good as you say.

riggers..........

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 11:37:39 PM »
Terry,

Sorry for my late reply.  Every time I eventually managed to get into the forum I spent so long catching up with the messages that by the time I got around to attempting to follow your instructions I had been kicked out again. :-(   Ha,ha but I was quick tonight...I cut and pasted them before doing anything else!

I've updated my Firefox and now browsing with Google Chrome.

It will be interesting to see if this solves my problem...I'll let you know.

Meanwhile thanks for your help.

Eileenx

Booking.com