Author Topic: Driving to Corfu  (Read 31177 times)

Offline Marion

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
Driving to Corfu
« on: February 27, 2009, 02:22:17 PM »
Hi everyone - thanks for your help with info re taking car to Arillas. Next questions are:  Can someone please advise the best routes across Europe.and cost effective way to Corfu using the Venice ferry service. Also how long it would take from say Dover to Venice so that overnight accommodation can be calculated bearing in mind that I am givien to understand that ferries are daily and you need to be there by midday on any given day. Also is it best to prebook or book on arrival.(Venice ferry). Sorry to sound so long winded but would appreciate any help/advice at all.  Thanks again.
Marion and Keith

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Driving to Corfu
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 04:03:06 PM »
Hi Marion,

When we did it we didn't plan or pre-book anything - but we were alot younger and more adventurous than we are now, lol!!!
We arrived in Calais early morning and made it to Lake Geneva on the first night after a fairly leisurely drive down eastern France. Found a very nice B&B for the night, right on the lake edge.
The next day we headed for Ancona and arrived about 7.30pm to find that there wasn't a ferry for 2 days - so slept in the car at the docks.
Next day, drove down the east of Italy to Brindisi. Booked into a hotel and caught the overnight ferry to Corfu about 4.00 pm the next day. I think we arrived in Corfu about 7.00 a.m.

Good Luck.

Angie

Offline isobel

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 08:51:16 PM »
hi we drove out in may dover to dunkirk used sat nav we did it in 3 days what lovely places to stop we also spent a night on the lakes edge veiws are spectacular but i would advice booking the ferry from venice as cabins are always full and 26hours is along time without one enjoy your trip

Offline coys

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 10:16:20 PM »
We drove over to Corfu in April last year to be there for the Greek Easter.  We went through the tunnel to Calais,  then drove through France  through the Mont Blanc tunnel into Italy and down to Venice. We allowed two days to get to Venice about 950 miles, you have to be at check in two hours before departure. We booked in advance because of the ferries being busy with people going to Greece for Easter. Coming back in October we had to get back for a wedding, we got off the ferry at 10 a.m Saturday in Venice and were home in Sussex by 8 a.m Sunday. You can go from Ancona to Igioumenitsa, the ferry takes about 16 hours you then need to catch a ferry to Corfu it means you  spend an hour longer driving in Italy but less time on the ferry, we are thinking of trying this way this year.

Barry

riggers

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 10:19:24 PM »
This is something i just would love to do. I think by air is better for me though, although if Lynn and Colin decide to go by boat i will happily jump on board :D

riggers.........

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 10:51:39 PM »
You'd be very welcome, riggers, but it would take about a month in our boat!!   :D

lynn xx

Maggie

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 06:01:47 PM »
Can anyone tell me if we drive over and avoid switzerland, will we have to use any toll roads?

Offline coys

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
Hi Maggie if you go on to the viamichelin web site put in the start and destination of your journey click options then click avoid toll roads. This will give you a breakdown of the route the milage and time driving.

Offline philippa

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 10:40:13 AM »
We live in Innsbruck so we only have max 4 hours drive to venice - consider driving down from the ferry via germany - no tolls on the autobahn. We have done th ferry to Innsbruck in 12 hours if you make sure you never travel on a Saturday - Sunday is the best as no trucks are on the roads.Then you need a vignette for the Austrian bit from Kusfstein to the Brenner road - then the toll for the Brenner - then it is about € 19 for the Italian motorway
The ferry usually goes at 14:00 from Venice and arrives in Corfu about 13:00 on the next day - We recxomend Minoan lines - the ferry is far superior to Anek. But make sure you book the Ikarus palace,Greek crew and very friendy good service and food, good clean cabins esp the De Luxe - the Eurostar Barcelona is the other ship they use and is not as good - mixed nationality crew - not clean!
The ferry has to go to Igomenitsa first and then back to Corfu which is why it takes longer!! Hope this helps Philippa

Maggie

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 10:40:35 AM »
Thanks, I'll try that.

Maggie

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 05:50:44 PM »
We've just been organising our road trip to Corfu. Philippa said we would need a vignette for the Austrian part of the drive. Does anyone have more info on this? Do we ahve to have it before we travel, or can we sort it out there? Any info would be great, thanks.

Maggie

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 07:03:49 PM »
After a bit of research, I've found that we do need a tax sticker for Austria. Also that they can be purchased in petrol stations near the frontier, and at the frontier. For anyone else who needs to know, they can last for either 10 days, 2 months, or 1 year.
( I haven't managed to find out a cost yet, but I don't think it will be that much.)

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 07:28:41 PM »
Nothing new to contribute here but observations. I HATE driving with a passion. My excuse is I drink (so I don't have to drive.) Perhaps it is displacement behaviour because I don't want to. Driving to Arillas is not an option for me.

I love to read about Maggie's plans and the routes and the places and the stops on the way. Phillippa's encyclopaedic knowledge impresses me greatly. I would happily sit quietly in the back of their cars on the way. But all of the red tape?

Hello EasyJet, I'm back. Full of respect, but just don't understand... Please help
Phil

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 07:30:02 PM »
hi mags ..
is there not a embassy in london..?yammas

Maggie

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 08:26:33 PM »
Phil, we're driving cos we've got lots of stuff to take over to our house. I'm looking forward to it, but will be in a van, so maybe not as comfy a drive as it might be? Red tape, well, Eileen has been a great help as I asked her for info on routes about a year ago. (we have planned this for a long time.) So, thanks Eileen. Philippa was also very helpful, by posting on this thread. Thanks Philippa. I wouldn't have known about the tax if I hadn't seen it here, but it was relatively easy to find out how to get it, once I knew.
Kevin, I suppose there will be an embassy, but i think I know all I need now. Thanks.
We're driving over in April, before the holiday season begins. It would be nice to have some sunshine for the week tho.

Booking.com