Author Topic: Driving to Corfu  (Read 31176 times)

Offline BBB

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Driving to Corfu
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 10:28:11 PM »
We are on the road now doing our first drive to Corfu. Our route and journey is not direct as we are visiting people on the way, firstly in North Germany and then in Geneva.

We set off yesterday through the Eurotunnel to Calais and then drove 350 miles in 5 hours to North Germany, motorway all the way, using a Satnav. After 2 nights here in Vreden, tomorrow we set off to Strasbourg for a one night stay in an Alistair Sawday Special Places Hotel.

We then spend 2 nights in Geneva and 2 nights in Venice.   

We've booked everything online in advance including the Eurotunnel, 4 hotels, Vignette for Switzerland (£27) and the Ikarus Palace ferry to Corfu.

All going great so far, but looks like rain for our drive tomorrow.

Gute Nacht from Germany.

Brigette

riggers

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 11:04:31 PM »
Bon Voyage BBB.

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 11:19:52 PM »
My idea of hell luvver. Have driven in Boston, Oregon, Dublin, Milan, Copenhagen, Lille, Rodos, Frankfurt..... and more. I was young then. The idea of driving to Corfu these days gives me the wobblies. Perhaps I don't want it any more. Chasing down the auotobahn no longer turns me on. What a waste of male hormones.... prefer to save them for my Jen...

but Brigette, can so understand your adventure. Just know yous will love it. Arillas does all of it.

Jen and me would rather spend our time with Hannah, Kostas and Perry in the Coconut bar in Arillas than sitting in a car negotiating roundabouts and satnav. Eating Roula's cooking at Brouklis, visiting Anna, Kostas Tasos and Theo at their studios, meeting Yannis, Litsa and Spiros again at Thalassa, renewing our friendship with all our local Arillan friends and sorry if we didn't name yous all luvvers.

For us is the being there is more important than getting there. EasyJet has helped us all to realise it. He understands the Greek attitude...
Phil

riggers

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 11:22:43 PM »
:D Phil............. Ditto

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 12:52:43 PM »
It sounds lovely to be able to drive all that way but I get stir crazy 4 hrs on the flight to Corfu! I have to stop every 2 hrs in a car and need to be "picked" out like a "winkle" and I am as as stiff as a board..  It would take a week to get to Corfu but it does sound like fun.

We dont drive abroad anymore, just too hair raising for us now and stressful, we like to take it a bit easier. 

I would love to go to Strasbourg though, we really do love Germany, it is such a lovely clean and interesting country... we have "ancestors" from Strasbourg with my Germany/French connections.

Have a safe trip Brigette and Maggie!  Glad all your plans are coming to be realised now.    It is interesting to keep up with your journeys.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline georgia

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 11:49:03 PM »
Hello all,
I read these posts with great interest, driving to Corfu sounds like a real adventure.
I ran the idea past my husband. His response was ''are you completely mad woman!''
Hhmm, guess we will just continue to fly. We have not yet booked for this year, serously want to amend that soon, its always great when you can start the countdown. x

Offline BBB

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 08:33:40 PM »
Hello again.
We are now in Geneva visiting friends. The drive with satnav is so easy and the views of themountains and lakes en route have been breathtaking. Lots of snow today but not a problem.

We didn't see Srasbourg as we stayed in a little village outside but tomorrow we are being taken to Geneva by our friends for some site seeing and a day off from driving. Then 2 nights in Venice to look forward too.

We are so pleased we have taken this oppurtunity as for us it is an enriching and stimulating experience. Luckily we are not restricted to a 2 week holiday as we are retired and have no return tickets.

Brigette

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 05:07:01 PM »
lucky you, sounds amazing, our dream is to buy a motorhome when we retire and travel around europe, or maybe just drive to corfu and stay there!!!
ger x

Offline Lozicle

• Arillas Addict
  • That's me :)
    • http://www.myspace.com/lozicle
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 12:32:51 AM »
I would love love love to be doing this... as long as i was the one NOT driving able to stare out of the window and doze as appropriate ! hehe

Offline Baldy Barry

• Forum Fanatic
    • myspace.com
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2009, 04:24:49 AM »
This is my dream !
To set off from my house and drive right down across Europe.
It must be fantastic to see the landscape and culture change as the miles go by !
I think the best holiday I had was a few year's ago when Yugoslavia was still intact and we opted for a coach holiday to Porec.
We were just sprog's in our 20's but the majority of the other passenger's were well over 60.
We'd previously been on holiday's to all the IN places by air to the IN places .
Boy did we have a good time !
Some of the old boy's (and girl's ) put us in the shade on the partying front and I have got to say "Experience win's every time "!
We party'd in France , Germany , Austria , Italy and then Yugoslavia !
It was a 2 week trip so we had 3 day's traveling there and then a week in Yugoslavia , and then 3 day's traveling back.
The route getting there was one way and a different one coming home.
I must add that there wasn't a longer period of 3 hour's on the bus before a stop for either refreshment's or an overnight stay .
I think Susan will agree that this was one of , if not the best time we ever had on a holiday.
The only fault with it was I wish I had been driving in my little car all the way there !
Oh ....yes another fault.....we had four different envelope's of currency that we had to change at every border .
But to all people over the age of  er.......55 we had the GREATEST time with them.
After 2 week's with what a lot of people would say were "Old Fogey's " I reinforced what I already knew.
"You're Dad's generation is alway's right "!
Sorry , I'm veering away from the original thread !
I love driving to anywhere.
Even better if I'm driving to somewhere I love !
Oh s*** I think I'm rambling !
Ok.......in a nutshell   I wish I was you !
Hope I don't burn !

Offline isobel

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2009, 03:41:11 PM »
hi we set off around the 26th april to drive out last year we went via switzerland this time we plan to go by austria into venice its a great experiance and fabulous scenery we enjoy the drive and then the heavenly part arillas

Offline BBB

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2009, 04:57:25 PM »
Thanks for all your replies. It's great to be able to share this as we are experiencing it.

We are now in Venice and for us our first visit. It is as wonderful as they say and well worth the marathon walk we did today. I have always loved the Venetian style of Corfu Town. The port is in Venice itself and what a place to set off from tomorrow on the ferry to Corfu. Apparently it is an amazing view of the waterfront as you leave.

We are now in our 6th country and thank goodness for the Euro, apart from Switzerland, but they seem to accept our Euros with no problem. We're getting a little confused as to which language we are using today. You just get used to one and then have to get the brain onto another.

I didn't get the chance to travel much when young, just a bit of hitch-hiking in France and a Vespa trip to Germany. Then when we found Arillas we've kept on returning. This journey has taken us out of our comfort zone and what a refreshing change it has been to see other countries and cultures, especially as we have been visiting people who actually live there. We've taken the long way down to achieve this (1400 miles) but that was always the plan and an opportunity not to be missed.

We are now ready for an Arillas holiday.

Brigette

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2009, 05:35:46 PM »
Brigette

Well done to you and Alan. Just the thought of doing this fills me with panic.

Negg

Maggie

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2009, 07:28:37 PM »
We leave here on 19th April for our drive. Am getting a bit excited about it now. We're arriving in Corfu on 23rd April.

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
  • Helios Court Arillas Corfu
    • Luxury Villa in Arillas
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2009, 08:44:02 PM »
Someone drove my little Vitara out at the end of last year and I am now going to drive it back in May.

Unless someone else wants to of course?

Quite excited by the prospect actually.

Style, Luxury, Tranquillity
Helios Court Villa, Arillas, Corfu.
http://www.corfuvilla.holiday

Booking.com