Author Topic: Driving to Corfu  (Read 31175 times)

Offline BBB

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Driving to Corfu
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2009, 05:04:38 PM »
Yes, we did make it. No internet (on order) here so having to log on when we can. The final leg of our journey was the 24 hour ferry from Venice to Corfu. The cabins and restaurants were good and the ship made good time, calling in Corfu first before the mainland ports. We were last on and first off. A southerly wind caused a little rolling, but we still slept well and had a relaxing time. We went on deck to watch Venice as we left and then saw the welcome sight of Corfu 24 hours later.
Now we are here. Easy days now to recover after our feat. The only question now is how do we get back, or do we go back at all?

Good luck Maggie! Look forward to hearing about your trip.

Brigette

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2009, 07:20:20 PM »
Thanks a million for your reports Brigette. They have opened eyes and made us think. And I can answer the question. Just don't go back... you'll be very sad if you do.

Wish I was there...
Phil

Offline isobel

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2009, 08:15:40 PM »
hope you have a safe journey maggie we may pass in venice we leave 30th to drive out but are goig via austria this time

Maggie

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2009, 09:00:26 PM »
We arrive in Corfu on thurs 23rd April, and we leave again on the 30th on the 7am ferry to Venice. I would have loved to see you Isobel, but maybe next time.  Brigitte, we may meet in Arillas, but if not, then i hope you have a wonderful time there. (We will be back there in june too.)

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2009, 11:57:16 PM »
I have to ask Maggie, Brigette and Isobel. Are you all masochists? My idea of hell is driving into Glastonbury to get food (and vodka of course.) The very thought of driving through France, Germany, Italy, ah wherever. Hell on earth.

Quite understand your adventures and what you say, but like riggers it will be EasyJet for us. Hate that as well... Perhaps we need to go, but never come back....

Phil

Maggie

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2009, 01:00:20 AM »
Phil, We're taking the cheap option, we need to move furniture etc to our house, and it costs a lot to get someone else to do it. SO we decided cos we could fit it all into a van.....we'd do it ourselves!! Whether it's a good idea or not, well, I'll let you know when we return. I'm quite looking forward to it tho, but if we flew, we;d have much longer to relax............

Offline isobel

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2009, 01:19:50 PM »
phill its so easy to drive of course the sat nav must go as well mad maybe but life begins at 40 0r 50 +++ maggie you will have a great time sailing from venice is wonderful and the drive through switzerland is breath taking if you can keep in touch through email it would be great to know how you are enjoying it bon voyage

Maggie

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2009, 06:28:47 PM »
We'll have the laptop with us, Isobel, and if or when we can log on, will let you know how it's going.

Offline isobel

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2009, 03:47:46 PM »
great maggie we will look forward to your story once again have a safe journey

Offline BBB

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2009, 05:05:03 PM »
Isobel is right. It is so easy to drive to Corfu. Almost half the journey is the ferry from Venice to Corfu. The rest is totally motorway and they are excellent in Europe. We weren't sure whether we were crazy to do it, but luckily really enjoyed the whole experience. We have both just retired so wanted to take the opportunity while we still could. Life for us just has to have some challenges, as was our experience of building our house here and now adapting to the Greek culture and our new lifestyle. It certainly isn't all beer and skittles.

We're also loving having our own car here. It is right hand drive of course, but no problem around Arillas. We've found the 4 wheel drive invaluable too, as the roads are in a terrible state. As we are here for a long time, car hire would be too expensive.

Maggie, you'll find internet access in most of the hotels and also on the ferry.

Offline coys

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2009, 08:10:55 PM »
Can any of you that have driven over to Corfu recentley tell me the price of petrol through Europe, and the price of petrol in Corfu at the moment. We are driving across next week
Barry.

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
  • Helios Court Arillas Corfu
    • Luxury Villa in Arillas
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2009, 09:08:58 PM »
In October it was I think 1.10 euros through Europe and about 1 Euro in Corfu if you shop about. Dont ask me why.

I have been planning my journey back to the UK today leaving on Friday 8th on the 7am Ferry. Arriving Venice at 8am on Saturday 8th.

I figure on Lunch in Como at the lakes before pressing on through the Alps to Strasbourg. So dinner in France, a night in a hotel then up for breakfast and an afternoon ferry Dover/Calais. Home Sunday night.

Fingers crossed.

My reasons for taking my Suzuki Jeep out to Corfu echo's BBB. I found a low mileage 1996 soft top in OK Nick and spent a bit of time and love on it. I figured at 50 Euros a day to hire it would only take a few weeks to pay for itself. Then I thought I would export it and leave it at the Villa. It is the perfect car in Corfu. However Greek beuracracy meant that I would have to pay 8000 euros to import it. So its coming back home to the UK.

I will have to have a rethink. Yes it would be a 9500 Euro car on Corfu but I cant get over paying 8000 Euros for a car that would probably only fetch £1200 in the UK.

Anyway, the trek back will be done with my 9 year old daughter and I reckon it will be an adventure.

Let me know how you do Barry.

Regards

Style, Luxury, Tranquillity
Helios Court Villa, Arillas, Corfu.
http://www.corfuvilla.holiday

Maggie

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2009, 09:42:25 PM »
We leave Corfu on Thurs 30th, arrive in Venice on Friday 1st of May. Our Calais ferry is Saturday at 1.30. I was worried that we weren't leaving enough time, but , reading your agenda, corfusoon, I think we will be just fine.
I'm keeping everything crossed! I am so looking forward to seeing Arillas in it's 'quiet' time.

Offline coys

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2009, 09:48:05 PM »
We did the Venice route last year, this year we are driving down to Ancona and catching the overnight ferry to Igoumanitsa which gets in about 8am.

Its the same problem for us with the car we will have to bring it back home in October
but it does pay for itself through the summer.
Barry

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2009, 01:14:18 AM »
I must say sorry if I sounded a bit strong. In truth I am full of admiration for the way you have all adapted to the road journeys and your lives in Arillas. And also so glad to see you all networking to help each other. A revelation. And you all have my good wishes for your adventures.

I hate driving with a passion as you might have guessed. Not that I have never done it - I used to drive all over UK, Europe and lots of the USA. But now I want peace. Arillas is a little haven for us - we rarely need to go outside the village and usually don't want to. The thought of the car journey horrifies us both. But we talked this Sunday about flying to Venice and doing the ferry. Now that would appeal...

Takes all sorts - sorry if I offended.
Phil

Booking.com