Author Topic: Tiscali ISP?  (Read 18111 times)

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Tiscali ISP?
« on: March 11, 2009, 10:34:16 AM »
If you are with Tiscali or Pipex you should be aware of the following.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/09/tiscali_suspended/

It might be a good idea to make plan to move to another ISP, but lets hope it doesn't come to that.

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
Re: Tiscali ISP?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 10:46:14 AM »
Thanks Terry.  I'm with Pipex so I'll bear it in mind.

Eileenx

Offline Dave n Anne

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 06:23:28 PM »
Hi Terry

I am also wit pipex and if it does go T**ts up , do you know if we will still need a MAC code to change ISP or do you think we will just be able to sign up to a new one .

Yammas

Dave

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 06:51:47 PM »
Hi Dave n Anne

Have a look at these websites and try some of the Tiscali forums. If it was me I would try to swap ISP ASAP, but I suppose it depends on the type of contract you have. I can't see that Tiscali can improve their services with the mess they are in.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/101821/analysis-mac-codes-hijack-wantaway-customers.html

http://www.elpassoblog.com/186k-elite-internet-mailbox-internet-services-go-bust/

http://www.maccode.org.uk/feedback/tiscali.aspx

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 09:02:56 PM »
Don`t normally need Mac code ....Most suppliers will do it all for you...they are that desperate for customers.....

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 10:28:14 PM »
We've had superb service from Tiscali for a long time now, at a competitve price. Maybe that's their downfall. We're not relishing a change. It's so complicated trying to work out when the phone gets involved, and all the deals you can get.

All I want is to get on with surfing to arillas.com, facebook and corfu sites, with a bit of email thrown in. Day off work tomorrow - doubtless mostly spent finding a new ISP I expect. Oh <rude words>

Phil

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 10:53:06 PM »
Phil

have cable at home and have had three different adsl isp`s at work..recently changed a friend over to talk talk...now I know they have not had the best press and they still have some issues...but we had 2 different companies suppling phone & b/band...they gave a date for the switch  over ...we did not even have to notify either phone or broadband companies they did it all and the switchover went without hitch..(also free Dlink wi fi router) saving my friend £20.00 a month..if you are on adsl to be honest everythings goes through BT and they determine the speed you will get...so just go for the best deal
kes

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 08:34:20 AM »
We have had Tiscali for three years now and I have no complaints what so ever. Once their servers were down for 2 hours on a Sunday morning but that hardly qualifies trouble in my book. Let's hope they stay afloat... :).
Life is good ;)

Offline Chris & Mark's mum

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 06:44:02 PM »
We have had Tiscali for three years now and I have no complaints what so ever. Once their servers were down for 2 hours on a Sunday morning but that hardly qualifies trouble in my book. Let's hope they stay afloat... :).

Ditto to that!  I got Tiscali in many years ago .  My eldest son, obsessed with IT, went beserk with me for picking a rubbish ISP!!! ("Mum next time you pick an ISP PLEASE ask me for my advise first")

Tiscali have NEVER let me down, they bent over backwards to help me sort out my faulty router that I bought (seems it was a duff router but it was Tiscali who sorted it out) and I now have their TV package (Hubby likes Sky but I think Catch Up TV on Tiscali is brilliant!), I get free callls on a weekend and their service costs £20 a month!!! A Bargain! (No, I'm not on commission from Tiscali!")

Well, I don't believe it!  I have written something without grumbling about it!!!! (Must be coming down with something, better take an asprin!)

We are the people that my parent's warned me about........

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 08:54:59 AM »
Well, I don't believe it!  I have written something without grumbling about it!!!! (Must be coming down with something, better take an asprin!)

:D! Have a lie down dear, I am sure it will pass :D
Life is good ;)

Offline willis

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 03:48:27 PM »
I have had Tiscali for years and they are fine until you get a problem. Once they cut off my account as they believed that spam was coming from it. They then told me that the only way to get it back was to e-mail a particular address!! They failed to see the problem that I would have with this as I no longer had a working account. They wouldn't provide any alternative nor could I get the info I needed to switch ISPs. It was slightly frustrating!

Offline MaryH

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 01:49:55 PM »
I had my dial up account with Tiscali and I guess it's fine as long as you never have to ring customer services, they are the most unhelpfull , helpline I've ever come accross. So when I got Broadband I chose BT and the rare times I have had to ring their helpline they have done what they said helped.

Take Care
Mary

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 02:44:43 PM »
I have to admit, that all this talk about 'ISP's' and 'download speeds' and 'transfer speeds' etc etc, gives me a headache . Why does everything have to be so complicated thesedays?!?
I watched 'Real Swiss Family Robinson' last night, it's about a family being dumped on a desert island and having to fend for themselves, and I thought it looked like HEAVEN! - no televison,no telephone,no computers,no call centres,no bills - bliss!!

Offline justjen

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 07:47:18 PM »
know what you mean angiem, wouldn't it be nice if life were less complicated?  BUT! as someone who has worked in the computer industry, you only have to ntake your eye off the ball for a second and hey ho! it leaves you behind!

love Jen

riggers

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 09:12:27 PM »
Hi Jen. It's nice to see you. I have just noticed by your ticker you are going home to Arillas a day before Phil.  :) sneaking an extra day.......??

riggers.........

Booking.com