Author Topic: Re: Arillas herbs & spices  (Read 10564 times)

Offline MaryH

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
Re: Arillas herbs & spices
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 08:54:08 PM »
Hi Vivien
I've had my kumquat tree for nearly 6  years now and it was only about 8 inches tall when I got it now it's about 3 feet. It got fruit the 2nd year and last year was the only one it missed , due to me being too scissor happy - I'm just letting it grow as nature intended now - so I'm guessing  they don't have to be that old to bear fruit. Mine's now starting to get some more buds on even the little white flowers smell lovely, and I suppose you've noticed if you rub the leaves they have a lovely citrus smell, So I will put my bottle brush plants in the garden. if they all grow  I'll have 60 , so I would give some away to friends. So if any forum members would like a bottle brush plant they are more than welcome. Bet  your bottle brush plants look stunning
Take Care
Mary

riggers

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 08:58:02 PM »
I am soooo envious of you all. The only plant that doesn't die on me is the weeds.....

riggers...........

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 09:47:45 PM »
ditto riggers!

Offline MaryH

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 03:04:57 AM »
Aww Phil and Riggers bless you - you two can just appreciate the lovely plants and herbs of Arillas when you are there - but if my bottle brush plants turn out ok  i would love to send you a plant each XX
:)

Offline annemarsh

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
I am soooo envious of you all. The only plant that doesn't die on me is the weeds.....
riggers...........

lol. Me too!!

However, weeds can be beautiful.

I have a thistle in my garden that I tried to get rid of for 3 years. I tried digging it up, then weed killer, then setting fire to it, but nothing worked - it just kept coming back.
Finally, having run out of ideas, I stood looking at it, and said ( - yes, I really did have a conversation with a thistle - ) "Ok. Go ahead - convince me that you should be allowed to stay!!".
It is now about four feet high and wide, and gets covered in purple flowers which in turn, get covered in butterflies. It is the most magnificent plant, and has truly earned a place in my garden.

Anne

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 01:22:19 PM »
Anne, I like some thistles too, and think I would just go with it as well, if they were to come up in my garden!  Especially those that are wildlife friendly - I am completely organic on that one.  I only seem to get unattractive weeds though!!

I have been able to grow quite an assortment of plants and herbs in our garden, but it's house plants I'm rubbish with.  I must give them the kiss of death!

lynn xx

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 12:46:37 AM »
I'm rubbish with house plants as well - think I love them to death! (over water!).
On the subject of herbs and spices the last time we were in Arillas was two years ago and we bought some from a shop there - they're still unopened in my kitchen - along with the greek cooking book!! BUT looking forward to Greek food being cooked for us in Arillas May 8th - 22nd!!!!  Barry and I can't wait - and we're bring two friends with us - Joan and John - who recommended Arillas to us in the first place. Roll on May!

riggers

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 12:54:38 AM »
That is good for you to be going this year Janis, hmm May 8th- 22nd. We head out 8th-22nd June though. My Arillas herbs is Mythos and Royal Ionian, with a little Amstel thrown in. OUZO, METAXA.  :)

Yammas
riggers...............

Offline georgia

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 01:57:40 AM »
Hello all,
Can identify totally about being the kiss of death to houseplants, I do fine with the garden but as soon as I walk through a doorway the Jekyll and Hyde syndrome kicks in, I too buy loads of herbs and spices in Arillas, made a potato salad to go with salmaon tonight, garden chives and Arillas dill, incorporated, lovely.
I have 2 cookbooks purchased in Arillas, and love trying the recipes, some are a bit rich for even my country girl sensibilities..baked ox spleen being one of them!
One of my fave dishes at Amourada, is fried calves liver.I live in a very rural huntin shhotin fishin area with 2 fantastic village butchers. However when I asked them about calves liver there was much headshaking and sucking of the teeth. Apparently, butchers are scared to stock it, dare not risk a btick through the window!!
Sorry, hope I am not being contraversial here, but if u are a carnivore, then u are, there is a food chain. The funny thing was both butchers said, they had venison it was very similar...I don't think so venison I cannot abide, calves liver, delish, they are as similar as rap and blues! x

Offline DaisysMum

• http://www.crazydaisyjewellery.com/
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 09:51:01 AM »
Not too good with plants myself, doesn't help when you have a couple of free-range chickens roaming the garden, planted out a parsley plant on Thursday morning, by Friday all that was left was a few green shoots sticking out of the pot, they didn't touch the mint plant that was also planted out.  Would love to know a bit more about foraging for wild herbs etc, was watching Jamie Oliver late last night and he had found wild fennel and horseradish.    Can remember when walking from Arillas to San Stefanos last year, the smell of the wild oregano - beautiful smell to take your mind of the strenuous hike.  Don't know if any of you watch Tonia Buxton - My Greek Kitchen, but they are repeating her programs on Discovery Travel and Living at the moment, last week she was in Corfu, not Arillas,  Agious Georgios (excuse the spelling) but it's still nice to watch, and  and think, I'll be there soon indulging in all of that lovely greek food!!  12 weeks and counting!!

Booking.com