Author Topic: Hiring a boat in Arillas June 2009  (Read 31674 times)

Offline suzieQ

Hiring a boat in Arillas June 2009
« on: April 21, 2009, 07:40:19 PM »
Hi

We're coming to Arillas in early June (first time in Corfu so can't wait!) - can anyone tell me if it's still possible to hire a small motor boat to go around the coast a bit (neither of us has any experience so it needs to be suitable for middle-aged novices!)

I read a post that said the guy who used to rent them out had stopped because he wasn't making any money, but wondered if anyone's doing it this year?

Thanks....

Offline Paul C

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
Re: Hiring a boat in Arillas June 2009
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 08:19:47 PM »
suzie Q
We hired a boat last year on the beach at Arillas, they just need a couple of days notice, had a great day. And no you don't have to be an expert. Have a look through the posts on snorkeling, you will see that several people had a good time using the boats. The company that runs the boats is San Stefanos boat hire, look on the link on the main menu. I am sure they will sort you out.
Paul

Offline tonynglenda

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 08:49:24 PM »
Hi suzie q. We hired a boat last year, novices as well. We went to olga the local travel lady and she sorted it all out. The lad from san stef came to seek us from arillas and took us into san stef to the harbour. He gave us a short drill and we were off. We were out most of the day and used almost a full tank of fuel. It cost us nearly a 100 euro all told but we enjoyed it. They also take you back to arillas afterwards. Make sure you have your sunscreen cos its hot!

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 09:00:55 PM »
hi suzie..
you can hire a boat from the beach ,or over in san steph..prices are from 90-130e for the day,and this year they have 2 new speed boats .....yammas

Offline suzieQ

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 12:07:23 PM »
Thanks everyone - that sounds great.

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 01:01:12 PM »
Great choice SuzyQ!

You'll have no end of fun hiring a boat & there are lots & lots of Forum members who've done this & will be able to provide you with some excellent top tips - I know Sharon & Billy hired a boat during one of their visits.

You do have to be particularly mindful of the heat as you're pretty exposed & it can be quite deceptive, but packing a little picnic & a few beers & sailing off into the blue yonder - it'll be one of the highlights of your trip - it really will!

Don't forget to tell us all about it though & post some pics if you can?

BeckyB x :-)

Offline suzieQ

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 08:47:07 PM »
Hi BeckyB

It all sounds idyllic - just five weeks to go now! (The weather is looking very wet at the moment on the BBC site but I guess if all the rain comes down now the first half of June will be all the drier (!!)

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 09:03:49 PM »

As hard as it is, try not to take too much heed of the weather reports - although that's easier said than done when the anticipation is high.
I'll tell you something though Suzy - I BET you'll have gorgeous weather during your stay & if you get a few drops of the watery stuff - well it will be just that, (a few random drops) & it won't hang about for long. Chances are though - it's highly unlikely.
BeckyB :-) x

PS: You lucky thing you :-)

Offline lynchan

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 03:52:29 PM »
suizeq when do u go.we leave on the 19th of june and are staying at the kokinos aparts.the last time we hired a boat was when we went to skiathos and we had a realy good day so we are hoping to do the same this year.

Offline ColinD

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 01:44:35 PM »
It does sound like fun hiring a boat, but I'm not sure we will be able to afford it this year as we will be holidaying on a shoestring this time.  We do have a boat of our own at home anyway, but it's not quite the same on a British river. lol.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional.

Offline carolina

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 11:26:24 PM »
We were in Arillas last 10 days of May and hired a boat from the beach - 85 euros for the day and another 30 euros for the fuel - did have it on full speed quite a lot!!  On our last night asking everyone what was the highlight of the holiday and hubby (age 50) and son (age 10) both said the boat - went along the coast as far as we were allowed either way anchored up swam to a beach and snorkled ( be careful though anchor got caught in rocks and very brave hubby (well we thought he was!) had to dive long way down to release it. Also make sure you have a canopy as you dont feel the heat of the sun when motoring along !!

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 04:49:25 PM »
Well, in spite of Colin saying it was unlikely, we hired a boat on our second Wednesday morning, and enjoyed it so much, we hired it again on the Friday afternoon.

Agree it was one of the highlights of our holiday too.  Great fun!

lynn xx

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 05:03:44 PM »
We had the same problem last year Carolina....my brother-in-law dived down to release the anchor from the rocks.
Sandy x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 07:56:25 PM »
Sad souls us, we love to be on a boat. We have pics of us pretending to be Kate Winslett and him. (Leonardo whoever.)

The experience of sailing round the back of Gravia and Ecoudia(?) Someone remind me of the spelling... You can never forget being there.

I just so should win the lottery and then I can spend the rest of my life doing that daily. Of course JustJen with me

Phil

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 09:11:05 PM »
Hi
Has anyone done any boating since Phil in June?  Will be in Arillas this month and am thinking of hiring a boat - sounds like good fun.
Pat

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Booking.com