Author Topic: Exchange rate in arillas cash machine  (Read 3058 times)

Offline andym

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
Exchange rate in arillas cash machine
« on: May 06, 2009, 03:47:14 PM »
Does antbody know what the exchange rate is when you use the whole in the wall in Arillas.

We are only thinking about taking a few 100 euros and the rest will be from a Nationwide card.

The rate does seem to be going up a bit here.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Exchange rate in arillas cash machine
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 06:01:52 PM »
Nationwide seem to give you an exchange rate as good as local services and, I think, better that a UK tourist rate.
( And no commission )

Probably e1.11 today.

Cheers
Negg

Maggie

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 11:26:10 PM »
I had a letter recently from nationwide to say that they were now charging for withdrawals abroad. Is this not happening? I didn't use my card when I was in Arillas, so maybe they don't charge after all.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 11:30:34 PM »
I had that letter too Maggie but apparently they are not charging in Europe......yet. As I said in another thread, I received my Nationwide statement yesterday and I was getting 1.127 at the Arillas ATM last week....with no charges
Sandy x

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 12:08:05 AM »
A Previouse post re nationwide cards

Nationwide Foreign Transactions
Nationwide continues to offer commission-free foreign transactions. By commission-free we mean not adding any additional charge for the service of exchanging currency that generates profit for the Society.

When you use a Nationwide Visa debit card or credit card to make a transaction in certain currencies other than sterling, Visa charge a fee for each transaction and Nationwide currently pays that fee on your behalf.

We will start to pass this fee onto you from 6 May 2009 on credit card and from 1 June 2009 on debit card and it will be included in the sterling amount shown on your statement.

The fee is currently 0.84%. From 1 July 2009 this fee will increase to 1%.

Offline andym

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 12:20:17 AM »
My wife had a letter from the Nationwide about the charges but it did say no charges if you are staying in Europe.

So it looks like its a good idea to use the card over in arillas rather then taking lots of cash.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 12:24:06 AM »
That's what our letter said kes.

We use a Nationwide Flex-Account debit card, after Sandy recommended it on the forum. Thanks dear, it has saved us quite a bit so far.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. But the amount involved is so small, and the euro rate seems to be picking up, so to jump and stock up before June 1st might actually be a worse deal. On 1000 gbpounds 1% is 10 quid. At the current exchange rate that is one round of vodka frappe for us two. We'll just have one glass of water instead... lol

Phil

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 12:32:11 AM »
LOL....don't believe that for a minute justphil......however, it looks as though 1 June may be D-day....we'll just have to wait and see.
Sandy x

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 12:18:37 PM »
It still looks like Nationwide is a good deal! (wish I'd thought about it earlier....)

Sandy - I don't believe it either! lol

Booking.com