Author Topic: mosquitos  (Read 46361 times)

Offline tonynglenda

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
mosquitos
« on: May 12, 2009, 10:28:12 AM »
Morning all. Does anyone have any recommendations for deet free mosquito repellant? I used to use one called 'deet free' but it has been discontinued. I've looked on the site and there are some others but i wondered if any are proven. I am allergic to deet which is in most of the usual ones, even a small % is no good to me. I carry bottles of lavendar, citronella, and eucalyptis but i need a spray as well. If you see me i smell like an aromatherapy shop, honest! But when you have such a bad reaction you try everything. It has cost a fortune in medical bills around the world. I even carry antibiotic cream because its 30€[yippee it works €] for a tube at the local docs. I need a big handbag as well! Any advice wecome, thanks. Glenda

Offline Karen/Colin

• Arillas Addict
Re: mosquitos
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 02:58:46 PM »
Hi, try mosiguard, i am sure it comes as a spray as well as a roll-on & cream. It smells lovely & is recommended by masta the travel health people. You can get it in superdrug & other chemists & on-line.

Karen

Offline wayne

• arillas trip 6
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 04:10:54 PM »
try avon skin so soft not actually classed as a repellent but does better job than any mozzie repellant i have used.contains citronella which mozzies hate.

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:38:36 PM »
try ebay ,,tap in deet..i paid £4.50,inc delivery..yammas

Offline Oregano

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
    • Chris Ormston
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 09:47:46 PM »
I'm told the Army use Avon Skin-So-Soft for that very reason.  The result? We have highly-trained killers with complexions like babies' bums!!!

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 10:36:49 PM »
Michelle was attacked by a platoon of the most agressive mozzies ever seen on corfu. She looked like a horror movie. went to the Arillas Doctor. The good man didn't waste any time, told Michelle she needs treatment, took a needle, put it in Michelle's bottom, wrote a bill, and by the time he charged our Mastercard michelle looked like the cutie I know again.
The anti-bodies the doctor injected still seem to work, one way or the other. It's almost three years ago now. Had no problems ever since.

So forget about deet, won't help, visit the doctor and ask for a shot.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 12:48:44 AM »
I had an email today about "bounce" tumble drier sheets... they apparently ward off mozzies and golfers put them in their pockets to ward off bees.

Anything's worth a try... a couple of sheets of bounce tucked into your undies might just do the trick! 
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 08:19:48 AM »
I trust and recommend the Jungle Formula spray. It is a bit pricey, but no bites :)

http://www.jungleformula.co.uk/

I did get one last August because I had none on,  but it was actually Phil and Jen's fault because we got stuck in Thalassa one afternoon in the shade with lashings of beverages, which was nice  ;)
Life is good ;)

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 01:32:31 PM »
I trust and recommend the Jungle Formula spray. It is a bit pricey, but no bites :)

We also swear by this. I think we've probably got the whole range - spray, roll-on, cream. lotion, gel, milk - all good!!

Angie

Offline tonynglenda

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 05:50:21 PM »
thanks for the posts everyone but jungle formula unfortunately contains deet, i shall be trying skin so soft and tony says ive to try some bounce in my knickers as well!! if nothing else i wil small clean & fresh

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 05:52:48 PM »
a couple of sheets of bounce tucked into your undies might just do the trick! 

BG
I'm not sure if I need extra bounce in my undies!

Mozzies , so far, don't seem to be around and at the moment wasps are few and far between. I still think the Superdrug "Buzz Off" is a good one to have.
( Works for us anyway, and not a bad price )
Negg

Offline valerie

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 06:11:35 PM »
Tonynglenda,i will be taking Avon skin so soft dry body oil spray its the soft and fresh kind they have stopped selling the cream.i can bring extra with me as im an Avon rep so its no problem.just let me know.
valerie.

Offline tonynglenda

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 09:06:35 PM »
Thanks valerie I'll take you up on that offer. Put an extra one in your case and i'll get it off you at the other end. I used to be an avon lady but packed in when i started working full time hours. The more lotins and potions i take the better as far as i'm concerned. See you soon.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 11:48:53 AM »
Mike  use SSS, bottles of it!... he doesnt mind the smell and he uses it all the time, you do need to stand on a towel or go outside when you do it though as it sprays over the floor and gets slippery on the marble floors.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 12:49:38 PM »
Yes, I use the SSS (Soft and Fresh) too, and found it pretty good, along with other sprays as well.
We also found Eggy's Superdrug recommendation "Buzz off" very effective, but we had to spray this on outside as well, not so much because it was slippery on the marble floors, more that the fumes choked us!  (Not sure that anyone else wanted to get too close either!)  No, seriously, it didn't remain that strong.....

lynn xx

Booking.com