Author Topic: mosquitos  (Read 46412 times)

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: mosquitos
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2009, 02:32:51 AM »
Hi KarenL

in 2003 Jen got so badly bitten it stopped us going to Arillas for 4 years. She had 17 one-inch wide blisters lanced on her legs by the local doctor.

If it's any use, we diagonosed that night time was not the main culprit. The worst is early evening, as the sun goes down, and you sit eating in the gorgeous fragrant atmosphere. Just about anywhere. But 50 bites on your face? They usually go for legs and feet, with only a few elsewhere.

Seems quite likely they happened to you in the night (you don't usually know at the time - they inject anaesthetic and you find out later...) because you would have noticed them on your face unless you were asleep.

Have you tried mossie-nets? We did once but what a palava. You need to stay where there are mossie screens over the doors. Or with aircon and keep the place shut. Have you always used the plug-in repellant? They do work.

Jen's solution is to wear pop-sox and floaty trousers, and spray feet and legs up to knees and any other exposed skin with Jungle Formula (50% DEET) before the sun sets. She has only had half a dozen bites in 8 weeks in Arillas since.

Best wishes
Phil

Offline isobel

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2009, 11:30:12 AM »
if you have aircon in your room use that as they dont like the cold and as its now hitting the 30d mark im sure you ewill need it

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2009, 12:43:02 AM »
Marmite works, we ate it every day, even took it down for breakfast,  took Vit B tablets before and during holiday.

My friend is in Corfu now... they buy a newspaper every day, take a roll of sellotape with them and tape up the newspaper at the shutters everynight... I cant be bothered with that, we just pull the curtains, use the plugs in but leave the shutters closed so they can escape... the locals told me the plugs are a deterrent, they dont kill them so they need to leave the room somehow. We have only had an occasional mozzie in the room.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline tonynglenda

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2009, 10:42:36 AM »
Had to tell you all, we came back on friday and i've only had one bite the whole holiday! Cant believe it. Either the little buggers have gone off me or my new spray worked. i got it from an outdoor camping shop, called natural essentials or something like that, its in a silver metal tin. Deet free cos as ive said before i'm allergic to deet. Also i 'blessed' our beds every nigt with lavender oil. They dont like that either. Whatever it was it worked, halleluyah!

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2009, 10:49:03 AM »
That is good news tonyandglenda! I think all the vitamin B in your beer might of of helped as well ;)
Life is good ;)

Offline tonynglenda

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2009, 10:52:09 AM »
Yes erja you know us well, that may have helped too, but i'll keep carrying my lotions and potions as well. yammas

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2009, 12:18:24 PM »
Well, we have used Skin So Soft, Boots Jungle Formula (50% Deet), sprayed the room before going out in the evenings, drank beer and still have lots of bites each!! 

Always seems to be when out in the evenings.  Colin reckons they only targeted the areas that he sprayed (his legs).

Have now progressed to Autan spray, which seems to be working better.  That'll teach me to forget the Superdrug Buzz Off..............

lynn xx

Offline jo-jo

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2009, 02:34:52 PM »
Hi

I have been researching this subject as get bitten badly. Has anyone tried incognito natural spary. Have read good review , even used under other deet products. Incognito (trade name) is sold at some Holland and Barratt stores or has its own web site.

Jo- jo

Offline MaryH

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2009, 03:32:54 PM »
I've found the only thing that works is a formula either in gel or cream that contain 50% deet, as Sprays evaporate ( well that's what I was told by a doctor ) as  3 years ago I got so badly bitten, I had to have a daily injection  and antibiotics. Ever since then I still get bitten but  only a couple. and once bitten dab one of those after bite with amonia in and they stop them from blebbing up, constantly dab them until the itch stops. Cover up at night as much as you can. Personally I think there is nothing that will totally prevent them. Lynn and Colin hope you get no more bites from the little blood suckers!
Enjoy the rest of your hols which I'm sure you are reading your amazing verses

Love
MaryXX

Offline biglee

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
    • clements locksmiths
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2009, 10:47:24 PM »
well, I've got to breathe sometime! 

use a snorkel
I LOVE ARILLAS IT'S GODS LITTLE ACRE.

DONT ASK FOR CHANGE IT'S PERFECT THE WAY IT Is

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2009, 11:11:57 PM »
biglee, the best thing that helped was a dip in a pool.
Lindypops.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2009, 12:31:55 AM »
Mary luvver, Jen so agrees. Moi? Me? Phil?  I've never had a bite in all the years I've been to Arillas. I can sleep naked on the beach and never get bitten (no photographic evidence but I have done it.)

If I knew why they avoid me I would bottle it and be a millionaire. But truth is I don't know why. We used to think they hated men, but saw magazine coverboys with feet covered in blisters, dark skinned men with too much testosterone to talk about, fair skin, dark skin, yellow skin, any skin. Fair skinned women seem to get mullered. My Jen does too.

Like the AIDS stuff, I would be willing to be the guinea pig to find out why. I can tell you now it isn't garlic, drink or tobacco. Marmite is also not the answer forum luvver who posted about that. I HATE it.

All I can say is I have never been bitten by a mosquito in Arillas so far. I might be eating my words after July, but if not I am a willing guinea pig for the medics to find out why.

Phil

Offline MaryH

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2009, 08:42:29 PM »
Yes , Phil it's just one of those mysteries mozzies have no preference and affects locals and tourists alike, or avoid them I think it's partly down to luck or bad luck . The taxi driver who took me to the airport in May had had a bad reaction and he  had just been to the pharmacy to pick up his prescription for his bites - He said it's a hazard of being a taxi driver they just fly in  and as it was too hot he couldn't bare to travel without the windows being opened - Let's hope in July  they still avoid you. But your Jen and I  I'm sure will keep covering up the parts the little blighters like so  much. I now understand the sandal and sock look - I ended up embracing that look myself this year!! Next time I will  make sure I have matching socks ha ha!

Happy Hols
Love
Mary XXX

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2009, 12:58:53 PM »
I'm wondering if you can become immune to the ole mozzies when you live here.

We've had no trouble with them yet and I've heard very few buzzing around.
 Don't often use the "buzz off" spray now and only as a token gesture around the face n hands if we go out in the evening. ( And only then if I remember )

Maybe the ouzo in the pores keeps them away!
That's the answer then! - Live on marmite sarnies washed down with Ouzo.

Negg

Offline Glenny

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2009, 10:59:36 AM »
They don't usually bother us too much but this year (got back yesterday) the little bu**ers have eaten us both alive! Counted almost 30 bites, even one on the sole of my foot, must've been a brave one, going near my feet!

Booking.com