Author Topic: Sea temperature ?  (Read 10160 times)

Offline Curt

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
  • Rare Corfu Lizard
Sea temperature ?
« on: June 16, 2009, 06:26:11 PM »
Does anyone know how warm the sea water is around Corfu ?
We are there in July and I love swimming , but will it be warm enough ?
Only three weeks till we go !!

When I am not swimming I am lizard hunting !

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Sea temperature ?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 06:57:33 PM »
Hi Curt
We were there last July, and will be this July too - on 7th. The sea is shallow near the shore, and depending on the currents and wind it can be very warm indeed, or have trickles of colder moments at a different time. It warms up throughout the season, and when we were there in October the year before last I swam several times. It was much warmer than the pools! I don't do cold. Never.

And when I'm not swimming, I'm Mythos hunting....

Phil

Offline Gino

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 11:05:47 PM »
The water will be fine in July. clear and settled, there is very little tidal movement and the beach is nice and shallow, there are spots just off the beach where the sand banks rise again so you can happily play bat and ball with your feet 1 ft in the water, we have swam in Oct also

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 12:31:08 AM »
Everyone knows I am not a swimmer (past escapades reported!) but I do love the sea.. we were there last September and it was very different to being there end of June/July... we only went in a few times in Sept. but you couldnt get me out in july!
Our favourite place is Sth end of the beach, just past the Sea Breeze where there are some rocks... goes shallow then a bit deeper then shallow (Lynda and I called it Dogga Bank for some silly reason) then goes deeper gradually.  3-4 p.m. was our best time when it was really warm, spend 1/2 hr swim lesson whilst Mike was still around the pool.  We stayed at the Bardis Sun then so was so quick and easy to run back and forwards to the beach.  It will be lovely when you go...you will really enjoy it!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 12:37:54 AM »
BG, was the swimming instructor very tasty??? Mike might be be there too next time after he's read this.... lol you know me well enough not to take offence!

I too am a very weak swimmer, and can float for hours in the sea in Arillas without causing a major incident with the sea-rescue folks. I don't do cold and I don't do deep!

Phil

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 12:41:27 AM »
My swimming instructor was my mate Lynda who came with us... she was very patient... we did have to re-enact her "scare" from a shark encounter she had in the South of France one time... totally mad we were...must have looked really funny from the beach..but she is very wary of the sea because of that so it was really kind of her to keep going into the sea with me.

Mike has to go through the total embarassment of being covered in mud!  Looked like the Incredible Hulk... bless him... he is very patient too!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 12:47:12 AM »
Sea temperature in July is good. like Phil said you get warm and colder spots but I managed a 90 minute snorkel off the south end of the beach and was fine. That was the first week of July. I had no idea I was gone so long, but of course my other half simply said i knew you would be back when you got hungry. The cheek!

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 03:11:37 PM »
I have no complaints.
Swam in May and July last year.
just get in there, if it's cold it will soon warm up.

Offline Curt

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
  • Rare Corfu Lizard
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 04:43:03 PM »
Well it sounds like I am going to enjoy the swimming !
Just can't wait to get there !
Looking forward to trying the beer from the local brewery ....
Cheers !

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 05:05:51 PM »
Well I am a real water baby and always go in daily in July/August but I will have to say that each year the coldness totally takes my breath away! I scream on that first dunk every time!!

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 10:14:53 PM »
Try dipping your toes into the North Sea at Whitley Bay and then you will know what cold is, whether it be January, July or October :-)

Booking.com