Author Topic: Scooters  (Read 11378 times)

Offline barpaul

Scooters
« on: April 23, 2005, 07:50:18 PM »
Would it be reasonably safe to hire scooters (bearing in mind we are two women in our late 40s but young at heart)?  We wouldnt want to go very far.

Offline Ivan

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
Scooters
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 09:13:26 PM »
8) Hi,
        If you have got motorcycle experience, and your travel insurance does not exclude it (most do,as a hazardous activity) then OK If not, on eitheir count, then I'd steer clear. I have seen so many "accidents looking for somewhere to happen",
                                       Ivan

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
Scooters
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 11:42:22 PM »
Not recommended,wait to you see the state of the roads first.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline suzanne simcox

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Scooters
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 11:50:24 PM »
I don't recommend scooters to many potholes and to many accidents  :cry:  seen too many people at the airport on the way home with bandages and plaster casts, if i were you I would steer clear, don't either of you drive a car ?

Offline barpaul

Scooters
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 10:38:58 AM »
Yes we can drive but thought it would be more exciting to have a scooter!!  Looks like we could have been a bit too adventurous.  Ah well, it will have to be a car then I guess.  Thanks to everyone for all their good advice.

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
Scooters
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 09:18:14 PM »
Hello again,
No problem thats what we are all here for if we can help then we do,sometimes we get a bit sidetracked,but that is the nature of this forum.You will see quad bikes and trikes ,but again not a good idea,remember what happened to Rik Mayall on his quad.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline killie

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
    • Cramond Angling Club
Scooters
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 02:19:28 AM »
I'd agree with the rest of the members however maybe a scooter like this suit http://www.killies.co.uk/corfu/arillas/dscf0029.html its got 3 wheels. The hard part is parking it like in the pic.

Sorry I couldn't resist it  

Offline barpaul

Scooters
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 09:59:00 AM »
Hey, dont laugh, thats just the job!!  Where might I get one!!

Offline suzanne simcox

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Scooters
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 10:14:16 AM »
I think you will find Ozzy Osbourne had a bad accident on his quad-bike as well, you don't want to end up looking like him  :wink: hehe

Offline Paul/Deb5

• Forum Fanatic
Scooters
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 11:15:56 PM »
Hi Barpaul
 Like the others have said its safer with 4 wheels etc.
 if you want a bit of excitement you must try out the jeeps they go in & out of the pot holes with no trouble and go off roading as well, they are much more fun especially with the top down as well. check out Arillas rent a car on www.arillas@otenet.gr we had one last Oct. great fun.

Paul/Deb5

Offline barpaul

Scooters
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2005, 10:06:03 AM »
Hi PaulDeb5,
That sounds a brill idea, the link didnt work but I guess we'll see the rental place when we get there.  Thanks for the info.

Offline Paul/Deb5

• Forum Fanatic
Scooters
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 09:04:19 PM »
Hi Barpaul
 Sorry, forget the 'www' it was there e-mail address i gave you, if you drop Anna & Kostas a line they will give you various prices for jeeps etc and they will meet you at airport aswell with any vehicle if you wish, tell them I recomended you and they will charge you more!! :lol: NO seriously if you mention the Forum they will sought it out, with the proper paper work with insurance.
I think you will find that San Stef. travel has web site showing jeeps & prices aswell,good to bargain with!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul/Deb5

Offline Aly

• Arillas Addict
Scooters
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2005, 05:23:13 PM »
Hi everyone, Im a little gutted that the moped thing seems a bit dangerous  :cry:  I too was planning on hiring a moped for a couple of days ... not to go far, but to go further than I would if I was walking in the 80 degree heat!  So is that a no, no from everyone?  :o

Aly

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
Scooters
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2005, 06:59:20 PM »
Hi Aly,

O.K I'm prepared to stick my neck out and take the flak  :D

The first time we hired scooters was 13 years ago in Kassiopi, our children were in their teens then and rode on the back of their dad and I's scooters.  We had a great  drive along to Sidari and had a fab time without any mishaps.

Since then we have hired scooters on many of the Greek Islands and have great memories of it.  Getting lost is all part of the fun and so is getting off the scooter and pushing it uphill, but then we will take off up any unknown dirt track we see!!!. :D

As long as you take your time and exercise caution, pull in to the side and let cars past you should be fine...yes we too have seen many people bandaged up, but I have seen many people with their legs in plaster after a night on the ouzo!  

Eileenxx

Offline Aly

• Arillas Addict
Scooters
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005, 07:39:36 PM »
Awe thanks Eileen.  I am keen this time around that I see a little bit more of the area (not the island) and won't go too far ... at least through the day anyway before I hit the Oozo and local wine!

I've driven in the past, but fancy scootering around this time.

A

Booking.com