Author Topic: Scooters  (Read 11238 times)

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Scooters
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2005, 08:02:27 PM »
Very brave Eileen.
I think that, 9 to 13 years ago, you took your life in your own hands to drive Corfu roads on 2 wheels. I don't think it's too much of a problem now,except those groups of friends who choose to go in a convoy without
sufficient gaps between them to allow safe overtaking and you always get the 2 or 3 who like to ride alongside each other. Common sense should mean no problem and always remember that the vehicle behind you could be a coach in a hurry. - (or me 'cause I'll get you with the wing mirror as I go past!)
Negg

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
Scooters
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2005, 08:29:22 PM »
Negg,

Have you ever considered Specsavers?  They have a great 2 for 1 offer at the moment, perhaps it will save your hire car wing mirrors :D  :D  :wink:

Eileenx

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Scooters etc
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2005, 12:22:40 AM »
You're a mind reader. Next Thursday I have a appointment with Specsavers. Honest!. I was given a £20 voucher towards new glasses so it seems a shame to waste it. ( And the company pay for the eye test )
Don't worry about our hire car though, Olga at arillas travel always removes the wing mirror glass before she delivers it. And the wheel trims as well, for some reason. I suppose if one of those flew off, at high speed, it would decapitate someone!.  Seriously though, I think all 2 wheeled transport is now given the respect it deserves. You must remember,as I do, that years ago the Greeks did not have a word for "Crash Helmet" . It's a lot safer now and it is a great way to see the Island
Negg

Offline Paul/Deb5

• Forum Fanatic
Scooters
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2005, 12:11:34 PM »
Negg,
     Quite agree with your comments,and you can just nip into those little parking spaces ,but then thats never been a problem , but I still feel safer with 4 wheels ,but I think its the age thing creeping in ?
Also my youngest daughter was knocked over by a scooter because the rider couldn't keep his balance or stop !!!! wasn't serious luckilly,thats probably why I'm not keen !

Paul/Deb5

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Scooters and the like
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2005, 03:43:17 PM »
Paul/Deb5
4 wheels is safer and , as you say , it could be the age thing. Seeing your picture on the Forum, with a glass in your hand, reminds me. My Doctor once asked "Do you drink and drive on holiday?" I said no because most of it gets spilt bouncing in and out of the potholes. Not really true but it just sprang to mind.
Cheers
Neill

Offline SteveL

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Scooters
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2005, 05:58:00 PM »
I'm an experienced scooter rider in the UK (had a full motorcycle licence since 1969) and it's bad enough riding them here let alone abroad where the roads and other drivers might be of a different standard.
The problem with scooters abroad is that they are hired out to inexperienced people, often youngsters, who ride them without helmets, barefoot, in swimwear, with a passenger on the back.  It hurts when you fall off with all the protective gear on let alone semi-naked !!!

I have hired 2 wheelers abroad but don't feel the need in Arillas because if I do leave the place I either walk or take a bus trip.

I'm not trying to preach, and these are just my thoughts. At the end of the day it's up to the individual as we all have a choice.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Scooters etc
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2005, 07:29:35 PM »
Well said Steve & Val - Inexperience - You've hit the nail on the head with that one.

Offline Ivan

• Arillas Addict
Scooters
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2005, 08:59:46 PM »
:lol: Steve and Val
                           In a word YES!!! I couldn't agree more
                                                   Ivan

Offline Paul/Deb5

• Forum Fanatic
Scooters
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2005, 10:56:28 PM »
Negg
your right about the drink & drive !!!!!!! you would definately spill it on a scooter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve & Val,
 as the other 2 bikers have said, I quite agree they go round on scooters wearing hardly anything at all.
One year we saw Yainni's sister from Sea Breeze come off her boyfriends scooter and she had plenty of graises down her legs & face which was'nt very pretty.

Paul/Deb5

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
Scooters
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2005, 10:52:48 AM »
Hi Aly...told you I was sticking my neck out and prepared to take the flak..crivens I've even been threatened with Eggy's wing mirror  :D  :wink: .  (Please Eggy don't hit my neck, it's only a few years since I had a titanium disc put in. :D )

You asked if it was a no, no from everyone and I gave you my truthful answer, many hours of happy uneventful scootering.  If Keith and I thought that we were "taking our lives (and our family's) lives in our own hands" we would not have done it.  Many years ago the roads in Corfu were full of more potholes, but they were quieter.  Most drivers are considerate (and always have been as far as I'm concerned), as are most scooter riders, but yes it does annoy me too to see multiple riders alongside each other and silly youngsters fooling around.

As Steve and Val say it is all up to the individual and we all have choice, the fact that I have had stress free scootering does not negate the validity of other members opinions and the advice given.  It will enable you to make a choice  based on your attitude to risk and how to minimize it and DO NOT COUNT ON LUCK. :!:

Neggs, I collect my first ever pair of glasses from Specsavers on monday, could this be the beginning of a gradual decline, maybe it is all downhill from here :cry:

Eileenx

Offline Samantha

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Scooters
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2005, 01:28:17 AM »
Quote from: Steve & Val
I'm an experienced scooter rider in the UK (had a full motorcycle licence since 1969) and it's bad enough riding them here let alone abroad where the roads and other drivers might be of a different standard.
The problem with scooters abroad is that they are hired out to inexperienced people, often youngsters, who ride them without helmets, barefoot, in swimwear, with a passenger on the back.  It hurts when you fall off with all the protective gear on let alone semi-naked !!!

I have hired 2 wheelers abroad but don't feel the need in Arillas because if I do leave the place I either walk or take a bus trip.

I'm not trying to preach, and these are just my thoughts. At the end of the day it's up to the individual as we all have a choice.

I totally agree,I admit i have been on the back of these before but not this year.I mad a promise to my family and i won't.I just don't think its worth the risk.
Samantha McCoo  :-)

Booking.com