Author Topic: How far is it to walk to  (Read 6174 times)

Offline andym

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
How far is it to walk to
« on: June 23, 2009, 11:00:22 PM »
Hello Folks

Next tuesday i have a birthday meal planned at the Dionysos Taverna and i was wondering if it is within walking distance of Arillas and if so how long it would take.

Also is it a hilly walk. Need to know that because my friend has had some recent problems with his heart.

Hope you good people can help.

Andy

Offline tonynglenda

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: How far is it to walk to
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 11:21:25 PM »
hello andy m, if you value your friendship i wouldnt walk it. Its a canny hike, very steep and i'm quite fit. i was knackered. Theres two roads. The one you come to first around the back of sea breeze is a killer! The second is a bit better but still steep. Tony has a stick now as he has m.s. so we go up on a quad. Easier option, but its well worth the trip.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 11:28:50 PM »
So true. Dionysos is beautiful and a wonderful place for a celebration. But Jen and me wouldn't dream of trying to walk there any more. Have heard the hill up to Annas and the Bakery called "heart-attack-hill" on the forum, but the walk to Dionysos is worse. Such good advice from tonynglenda.

Phil

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 12:53:19 AM »
The first time we tried it Mike had a "dodgy" knee so when we came to "heart attack hill" we had to turn back.. a local lady was really making short and easy work of it and we couldnt keep up with her!  The next time we tried it was much easier, we didnt rush it and stopped quite a lot... coming back is sooooo much better!  Thats why we did the longer route past Tria Adelphia and up across towards Afionas so that we could walk down the hill instead last year.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline andym

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 01:25:37 AM »

Thanks very much for the helpful replies. a walk is a no no then.

It will have to be a cab.
 Is there a taxi rank in Arillas, or is it a case of calling one in from another resort.

Thanks again
             Andy

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 01:40:37 AM »
There is a taxi firm in Kavaddades, everyone will have the number. Call in for a visit and a drink anywhere in Arillas and they will phone and get you picked up at the door. We have the number in Jen's little book, but can she find it? We always get sorted even if we are useless at organised things.

From the website and our Eileen (0030) 6972 767803. 0030 not needed I think.

BTW (tongue in cheek) they are called Eggy Cabs.

Phil
Phil

Offline andym

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 02:34:19 AM »

LOL and thanks for taking the time to reply Phil.

I will make a note of the number.

Andy

Offline wetty

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 02:29:28 PM »
Hi Andy,

I do this walk every year & the views on the way up are fantastic. It takes me about 45 minutes. There is a very steep section about halfway along though, so if your friend does struggle with mobility, a taxi is the best bet. Enjoy your meal.

Wetty

Offline andym

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 01:36:16 AM »
Cheers Wetty

I would love to have a crack at it as i am a keen walker, but my mate would not be able to do it and no doubt the wives would have a whing, but i may have a stroll up on my own.

Andy

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 01:40:29 PM »
We thought the little hill when you walk behind the Galini and up to the church was bad enough and it was only a few yards, then we came face to face with "cardiac hill"... when you have managed it once it doesnt seem so bad... says she "tongue in cheek", when you have done it though we felt it was a great achievement and worth it.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline John B

• Holiday in Heaven
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 02:04:48 PM »
Hi Andym,

When you go to the Dionysis Taverna don't forget to go to the cliff top, the views are spectacular.
Follow the path at the rear of the taverna, it goes right and then left. It only takes 5 mins. Well worth it.

John

Offline andym

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 05:21:45 PM »
Will do John

Cheers buddy

Andy

Offline jo-jo

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 05:32:18 PM »
  Hi everyone,

Getting excited, go on 10 July. I would like to takle this walk but havent a clue where this taverna is!! Cant find it on the map, or cant a see it!! Never been before!

Can you tell me where to go. Staying kauloudis.

Thanks everyone in anticipation!

Jo-jo x

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 05:36:41 PM »
Go up to Afionas Jo-Jo and follow the track on the left of the little shop in the square - it's all signposted.

I took my dad up there in April in the car (too old at 91 to contemplate the walk from Arillas) but he loves it up there. We walked to the taverna for lunch, then right up on to the hill as tubedude said, and then back down through the village. My dad wants to do it again next year....fingers crossed.....one of many highlights of his holiday.
Sandy x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 06:52:18 PM »
Jo-jo luvver ask Olga when you are in the centre (Olga's Travel can't be missed opposite the Akti Hotel in the middle of Arillas.) She will book you a taxi.

You can walk there if you are young and fit - it will tire you out even if you are, but kill you if you're not. Jen and me did a few years ago but it is so beautiful you never forget it. Don't miss it

Phil

Booking.com