Author Topic: Afionas Festival -24 June  (Read 5353 times)

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
Afionas Festival -24 June
« on: June 27, 2009, 01:55:09 AM »
What a gift for my final night in Arillas! The news at lunch time was that it would be cancelled because of poor weather, but thankfully it wasn't. I arrived about 9ish and parked up at the Night Owl. It all took place at the junction where you fork left to Agios Giorgos.

It was quite magical walking down and seeing all the little lights in the olive trees and hearing the music. Loads of people there sitting at tables drinking and chatting. It was clearly an occasion - many people seemed very smartly dressed and I was thankful I had abandoned my crocs for the evening! I arrived as the children were dancing. I recognised Yannis and Panayottis (Rainbow children of Jimmy and Vicky). This was fascinating - they are both quite mischievous lads usually but were taking the dancing really seriously and their parents should be proud of them - they were dressed in black trousers, white shirts and red neckerchiefs and all the children did very well. Then the adults came on....Litsa (Brouklis) was dancing, all in national costume, and I have to say she is the most beautiful dancer.

After this, the music went on and I found it incredibly moving to see many of the local villagers joining in. They clearly take great pride in their dancing. Nafsika from the Rainbow danced with her granddaughter Raphaela, Nick from Night Owl danced with his boys. Best of all were some really quite elderly folk who joined in the dancing....although perhaps not as nimble as in the past, I had tears in my eyes to see the huge pride and joy they had in all the traditional dances.

Added to that the party atmosphere and of course the souvlaki and lamb. I'm so glad I was there - thank you Afionas. Highly recommended to anyone going to Arillas around that time in June. SharonF went up in a bus organised by Olga but I'm sure she will report when she gets back.
Sandy x

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
Re: Afionas Festival -24 June
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 02:09:11 AM »
It sounds like a super evening Sandy.  That's two occasions I missed out on...your Sundowner party and the Afionas Festival :-(

Eileenx

Offline 4x4

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 02:15:47 AM »
We First came to Corfu about 7 years ago. We had rooms in Rhoda. Or just outside to be precise. I hired a car and we drove up into the mountains and saw real Greek people. 

I took a fancy to a particular restaurant in Rhoda and we eat there every night for the very short week.
On our last day, when I had returned the hire car, the waiter asked us to his village, as they where having a festival and he wanted us to come.

We declined.

Regretted it ever since.

We / I,   can not abide “Greek nights” and avoid them like the plague.
But genuine Greek people doing what they do is something I would love to be a part of.

Not jealous .

Not even a teensy wincey bit

Maybe next year

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 02:16:32 AM »
But all can be done again next year Eileen....
Sandy x

riggers

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 02:16:52 AM »
Agree with Eileen, sounds like a great night. Looking forward to Sharons report too.

Thanks Sandy..

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 02:19:16 AM »
I know just what you mean about the tourist Greek evenings 4x4....in my experience to be avoided like the plague! This was quite different because it was the local people's event and I felt privileged to be there sharing it with them.
Sandy x

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 02:22:39 AM »
Sounds fabulous, Sandy, would have loved to be there...........

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 02:30:35 AM »
I so wish I could have been there Sandy luvver. You captured some of it for me though. Jimmy and Spiros' kids doing them proud would have brought a little tear to my eye. Dimitris must have loved watching Litsa dance the traditional culture - we would have. I think that is what it is all about.

Joining in, taking part, having a go - that is it. It is like sitting on a bench looking at Gravia - you can be part of it all.

Phil

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 09:58:43 AM »
Yep, another one I missed as well :(

But thank you for sharing Sandy as it sounded like a really nice evening :)
Life is good ;)

Offline isobel

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 11:06:24 AM »
wish we had been there we also enjoyed the festival last year in arillas i think it was in june

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 05:47:32 PM »
What a wonderful experience to share with the local community.  I would much prefer to spend an evening doing that than sitting watching/taking part in a Greek Night at a restaurant.  They dont rope you into doing all the silly and meaningless other "belly dancing" and dancing on table antics that you get at those nights.  The "real thing" is much more enjoyable when you see young and old dancing together.  Glad you had a great time... so June and September are good times to go  for the festivals!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 10:43:55 PM »
It sounds lovely Sandy. Thanks for telling us about it. I wondered if there are any `photos to see.
Lindypops.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 10:46:17 PM »
Not from me I'm afraid - I always forget to take my camera!. Maybe Sharon will have taken a few.
Sandy x

Offline justjen

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 02:18:52 AM »
Talking  festivals - is the beachfront music festival happening in Arillas this year? Caught it a couple of years ago and missed by a day or two last year. Wonderful experience would love to do it again.

Jen x

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 10:39:27 AM »
I was wondering that Jen. I've never been but I'm sure it was the first week in July last year - my daughter went to it. I also remember the concert on the beach and the play.....but those would be impossible this year with the beach as it is.
Sandy x

Booking.com