Author Topic: Jellyfish  (Read 12472 times)

Offline evanjonesaber

Jellyfish
« on: July 06, 2009, 12:05:27 PM »
My friend got stung by a nasty little critter in Sicily so it made me wonder - are there any jellyfish 'problems' in Arillas? To be less specific, is there anything on the beach/in the sea, which need to be watched out for? cheers!

Offline 4x4

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Jellyfish
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 12:31:16 PM »
If you see a lump of fat wearing a Panama hat.

Be afraid.

Other than that, I cant think of anything

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 12:52:32 PM »
I have never seen any jelly fish in Arillas over the years which is lovely :)

I did get stung once on the east coast of Corfu in the groin in the early 90's, autch :'(
Life is good ;)

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 02:33:05 PM »
I got stung by a hornet type thing last year. Had just spent an hour snorkelling to a little cove off the south beach. no sooner had I dragged myself into the pebble beach I felt something on my shoulder and a sudden pain. This thing about twice the size of a wasp was sitting there. I was straight back in the water and back to Arillas and safety.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 05:14:32 PM »
People do say that , if the Doughnut man's around then don't go near him.
OR YOU WILL GET STUNG. Maybe you should read the posts on that one.

Never seen a jelly fish on the water here, just loadsa small fish.

Cheers
Negg

Offline John B

• Holiday in Heaven
  • Arillas regular visitor
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 07:45:07 PM »
Sea Urchins at the south end, best to where beach shoes.

John

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 08:37:15 PM »
hi al
john b is right ,sea urchins are all ive seen and i snorkel most days north & south beaches,,so no probs ,,,,,yammas

Offline jinksy

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 08:59:21 PM »
hi all, evanjonesaber in reply to your question i've never seen a jellyfish but once when i was in my snorkeling gear i moved a stone and out popped an octopus, not big but about 12inches in height, made me jump but disapeared as quickly as it appeared, and yes been stung too and they do bl**dy sting, much more than back home, so it was a speedy entry into the sea and splashing plenty of salt water about, ahh memories roll on 31st july and mathraki here we come, yammas jinksy, might see you about

Offline Peckedhen

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 11:00:35 PM »
We saw jelly fish last year - there was a shoal of them, small colourless ones. We steered clear of them and had no problem.

Offline isobel

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 11:08:33 PM »
hi i had a nasty sting on the foot last year still dont know what it was but it was b----- sore for hours after

Offline jinksy

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 11:29:53 PM »
hi once again, my two stings were on seperate occasions, one when i was sunbathing on the beach i just turned over and felt this hot sensatin on my inside thigh then i saw this wasp fly off and i scappered for the sea, stung for ages, the second time myself and my partner ang went on a day trip on a boat from paloekasritsa to a beach for a little barbie type thing and we went for an ice cream, the next thing i know is one hell of a stinging sensation on my backside that i had to once again run for the sea only on this occasion the water was freezing, didnt i look a right sight trying to splash water to stop the stinging, ang my partner was in hysterics, what a day out that was, jimmi and spiro laghed for ages, yammas, jinksy

Offline SteveL

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 10:16:33 AM »
There have been sightings of jellyfish in Arillas.  On one of our visits, 2005 I think, a few small jellyfish were washed up on the nude beach.
And the guys at The Rainbow mentioned that there was something akin to a weaver fish which people have been known to get stung by.

I think you just need to be aware that wherever you venture into the sea there is always the possibility that there could be critters of one type or another.

Steve

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 11:49:40 AM »
My mate Lynda was 4 ft away from a sharks fin whilst swimming in the south of france... I thought she was very brave when she was patiently trying to teach me to swim in Arillas... she did keep an eye open for anything swimming near us though.

Those weaver fish hurt... a friend got stung by one just walking along the edge of the sea, the only way to treat it by first aid was boiling hot water, straight out of the kettle ... boy did he scream!  I thought that would have been worse than the sting.

Mike has swum with little octopus and turtles in Zante just off Turtle Island.  Me... I steer clear of the wild life especially jelly fish.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline evanjonesaber

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 12:04:12 PM »
Hiya, thanks for your kind (and somewhat scary hehe) responses!

Guess just have to be on me guard (I say this now, but I know when the time comes I'll be running straight into that lush blue ocean without a second thought!).

Don't like poisonous wildlife :( Pesky varmints!

Yammas

Offline MicK-G

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 04:56:32 PM »
We saw a rather large jelly fish about two years ago. It was white in colour with the long tentacle things coming off it. It was about the size of a small football. We didn't get close enough to see if it stung but that's the only one I've ever seen in Arillas

Booking.com