Author Topic: ONLINE CURRENCY EXCHANGE  (Read 15884 times)

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
ONLINE CURRENCY EXCHANGE
« on: July 07, 2009, 02:31:17 AM »
Has anyone used any of these online currency exchanges? I have just been on 'Martins Money' website and they have a really useful 'Travel Money Maximiser' whereby it searches all the best deals.  Todays best is Thomas Exchange at 1.146 to the £.  (£5 delivery charge).  Has anyone beaten that rate, and more importantly, has anyone used this company? Get the heebie jeebies sending all my hard-earned money somewhere in cyberspace !! can you IMAGINE if you never heard from them again??  Saying that, I doubt such a high profile website would put them on if that was the case.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
Re: ONLINE CURRENCY EXCHANGE
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 11:59:40 AM »
Hi Jo, I think I read last week that the rate was similar in Arillas... about 1.5/6 so it might not be worth changing it in the UK.  It is still not that good though is it, we had friends who went to Corfu recently and they said the price of things weren't any different from last year really, although there werent many people in the restaurants, Ag. Geroge sth. not every night anyway, more and more people eat where they stay and alternate it.

We have never used online exchange or even the post office currency... we do change about £100 before we go either at the airport (very high rates) but thats because we never have much time to organise it before we go.. its just enough to cover the taxi and something to eat when we get there and bits and pieces.... like extra looooo rolls and wine!!

You must be excited you are off soon arent you?
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 01:05:53 PM »
Yes cant wait! We cant really change it over there as we have a large amount and it would cost us too much with the comission wouldnt it?

Ok you mathematicians, £2400 in sterling.  Better to change here at 1.14 but only £5 charge or in Arillas? What would be the total amount of charges I would incurr on that amount?

Offline MicK-G

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 03:50:42 PM »
We were there at the end of May, it was extremely quiet. We changed our money over there as the rate was a little better than at home, I intend to do the same again when we go in August.

Offline M n M

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 05:49:34 PM »
We returned end June and used the ATM with Nationwide debit card, we averaged 1.17 over the 2 weeks. Mick.

Offline Alan and Jan

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 11:36:34 AM »
Thomas Exchange and Crown Currency Exchange are the same company. In May this year we used Crown Currency and got free delivery as over £300 exchanged. Got 2 cents higher than travel agents just 2 weeks before leaving. Delivery was spot on.
We will be using them again for when we come to Arillas in September. If we buy now we can get 1.1725 euro to the pound. It has fallen this week because of the weaker exchange rate from 1.1875.

Hope this info helps and enjoy your hols.

Alan and Jan
Alan and Jan

Eight letters, three words one meaning- Take That

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 12:06:12 PM »
Thanks for that.  This mornings best is 'Best Exchange' at 1.178.  Think I will bite the bullett and get ordering.

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 05:59:46 PM »
Sorry, last post should have said 1.148.  In the end I rang my local Thomas Cook branch who matched the online price near enough, 1.14 commission-free so quite happy with that.  Of course I'm sure the rate will soar next week now that I have taken the plunge! Cannot believe that a few years ago I was getting 1.58/60.

Offline briant

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 01:37:36 PM »
have,nt been on forum for a while,come to that have,nt been to arillas since 2007 either.its just that i cant get any good offers from belfast to corfu.however always willingto pass on anything that might help others.i have again just ordered euros fom travel money services.com and for delivery in dec.i am getting a rate of 1.1375 no comm.or del.charges.i simply post them a cheque.i am off to gran canaria in jan and portugal in may.and where ever in sept.we can only afford the extra holiday a year by being flexible and shopping around.with luck we might even get a bargain to corfu sometime.

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 01:58:34 PM »
Thanks for the tip about Online Currency Exchange Brian.  I'll check it out before I travel next year.

Have you ever thought about Ryanair Belfast-Bristol connecting with Easyjet Bristol - Corfu.  There are some good prices there.

Eileenx

Offline bull

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 02:14:07 AM »
OOh yes hope this exchange rate picks up,otherwise we will be camping on the beach.lol

Offline Dave n Anne

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 04:06:48 PM »
Hi all

Have used Crown Currency Exchange for the last 3 hols and always got great rate plus delivery spot on , I always change enough for the whole hol and compared to local rates usually end up with a day's spending money for free . So well worth it .

Yammas

dave

Offline sunfun

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 07:43:20 PM »
Used crown currency exchange for the first time(thanks to this board)
Will deffo use again! No hassle at all.Good rate,no commision and free delivery! What more can you ask for?Thanks for the info,would deffo recommend.

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 08:26:28 PM »
Like I said when I started this post, the odds are always in the favour of these online currency exchanges but I just panic that my hard-earned cash would go missing in transit!

Offline Dave n Anne

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 04:30:20 PM »
Hi Jo

Don't panic about your money going missing , you pay online ( or I think you can phone and use your C/C ) and delivery is by Royal Mail (Guaranteed Delivery you have to sign ) . As I said before used 3 times and not a problem , but I understand your concerns as I was concerned the first time I used them .

Yammas

Dave

Booking.com