Author Topic: eating out  (Read 5645 times)

Offline lesleyg

eating out
« on: July 14, 2009, 07:40:44 PM »
We travel to Arillas for the first time on August 10th.  We love Greek food but like to eat the traditional way, i.e. no starter and main course, just a series of dishes which arrive all together and we also like to choose by going into the kitchen rather than from a menu.  Is it still possible to eat out like this or have regulations and menus taken over?

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
Re: eating out
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 08:26:24 AM »
My favourite way is to go to a taverna, refuse the menu and just ask what is good today and make my selection there and then. Works every time and I have never been dissapointed in Arillas :)

Life is good ;)

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 10:16:16 AM »
You can do this in many if not all places in Arillas. It is exactly what we do all the time. Brouklis is renowned for traditional Corfiot dishes and deserves its reputation. Yesterday afternoon we sat for four hours in Graziella and ordered feta pies, garlic mushrooms, prawn salad and dolmades. Red wine (local) and Mythos. Two plates and we just picked at it all until it was time for Jen's swim. Food here is one of our reasons for coming. Only one mind...

Offline lesleyg

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 06:01:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Eating out is one of our highlights and its good to know traditional Greece still exists.  So many so called 'traditional' tavernas now serve everything with chips.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 06:43:56 PM »
Lesley, the owners might serve chips and rice and boiled potatoes on the same plate to satisfy the mainly UK palates.

If you want traditional Greek here, you only have to say so. We will be eating at Vavilas in an hour or three's time. Thomas will come over and after the greetings will tell us what he thinks is best today. That is what we will eat. Home made wine and a perfect meal coming up...

Phil

Offline lesleyg

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 10:17:02 AM »
You're quite right, it is the Brits own fault.  I was talking to a greek taverna owner on Kefalonia a couple of years ago and he said he no longer put olives in the Greek salads because they just got left and thrown away.  Such a shame!

Offline gaye

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 12:38:43 AM »
Agree with all that Phil said particularly with regard to Thomas at vavillas. He will take you in to his kitchen to show you what his dad caught that morning at 5 A.M. wonderful!
gaygo

Offline ronmonkey

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
  • andy and the boy, @the atki may2009
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 07:34:02 PM »
i would no more order chips with my meal in arillas (or anywhere else abroad for that matter) than i would wear a "i love michael schumacher" tshirt....

however

... we ordered a plate of chips for the kids in brouklis and they were fantastic!!! proper homemade chips that had clearly still been a potato earlier that very afternoon

Offline lesleyg

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 09:17:50 PM »
Thanks for that as whilst I agree with you our 9 year old daughter lacks good taste and likes nothing better than pizza and chips!!  Good to know she is not going to starve.

Offline biglee

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
    • clements locksmiths
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 04:23:36 AM »
if you go to grazellas they will show you what they caught that day.
however for things not on there special menu you will pay by the weight and can be expensive
however they do have special menus
I LOVE ARILLAS IT'S GODS LITTLE ACRE.

DONT ASK FOR CHANGE IT'S PERFECT THE WAY IT Is

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 10:14:20 AM »
Hi Lesley, we're still learning about Greek food, but have never been disappointed in the meals we've ordered in Arillas!  The restaurant/taverna owners are so accommodating for everyone with different tastes. We've had wonderful traditional Greek food, but could even have "eaten English" in some of the same establishments. I absolutely hate burgers, but funnily enough the home made burger at Horizon is wonderful with a bottle or two of Mythos at lunchtime, watching the world go by!
Enjoy your stay in Arillas - you'll return time and time again!

Offline isobel

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 11:23:49 AM »
hi Lesley you will enjoy the food BROUKLIS its all greek food and chips are homemade i was told a few years ago in a little taverna in Stranillis up in the mountains of Corfu that egg and chips were a stable and quick diet when the family came in from working the olive groves if you get a chance go up to Afionas and try the resturants there as well enjoy your holidays and im sure like us all you will want to return time after time

Booking.com