Author Topic: Don't do what I did !!!!!  (Read 6260 times)

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Don't do what I did !!!!!
« on: July 27, 2009, 04:31:55 PM »
I had a very unfortunate problem with the ATM on my holiday. I wanted to pay for something with euros instead of using a card as it was better for the person I was paying. I went to the ATM with my debit card and went though the usual language and type of account questions and then chose the maximum amount to withdraw -  €480.

I got a message saying "please input amount in multiples of €20 or €50", but €480 was already a muliple. I tried €400 and got the same message. I then cancelled the transaction and started again, and this time I put €380 in and still got the same message.

I was now getting a bit worried that the machine was malfunctioning, but I tried a third time and put in €300. The machine then gave an alert and kept my card. The message on the screen was in Greek so I thought I would take a photograph and try to get it translated. As soon as I took the photograph a loud alarm sounded, Irini came out of her shop to see what was going on. Luckily I know Irini and she gave me the number of Eurobank so that I could call them.

The call to Eurobank them was a waste of time so I just phoned my Bank in the UK and asked them to cancel the card. They were surprised that the card had been taken but they did tell me that they restrict withdrawals to €280 per day. This is to protect the card holder.

They were very surprised that the card had been taken just because of the amout of money I wanted to withdraw. The card should only have been  taken if a wrong pin number is applied more then three times.

I had told Helen not to take her card as we wouldn't need it, but from now on I will always take two cards for the same account and at least two other  cards. Luckily my credit card worked fine and I only had a small extra charge to pay on it.

So, beware of ATM's and be prepared!!!!!!!

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
Re: Don't do what I did !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 04:39:46 PM »
Oh Terry... you must have felt like a real criminal when the alarm went off... I hate it when they refuse your card in a shop and you know you have enough money in there... my daughter who was in retail said sometimes they do random checks and refuse them for no reason... it is so embarrassing.... I would have died if that had happened to me in Arillas and the thought of having no money.... horrors!!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 05:02:48 PM »
That's good advice Terry. We always take both our Nationwide cards, both of our bank debit cards and two different credit cards.

Can just imagine how embarassing it all was. At least you had a friendly face nearby with Irini rushing out to see you.

take care
Phil

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 06:29:14 PM »
Terry   we had similar problem in May...Beware the ATM...swallowed our card also and as you say Eurobank are a waste of time..

Offline georgia

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 02:45:00 AM »
Lord what a nightmare. Thanx for the heads up on that one..will be sure to take enough in euros for our stay. So embarrassing when something like that happens. I had my debit card refused in Asda last year..I was very indignant as I knew there was money in the account..turned out it had been hacked and 3000 had been taken out. We were lucky that the bank honoured it and we got it back, but u hear of this more and more these days..what a world we live in!

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 11:14:24 AM »
My previouse post in June re ATM

A cautionary note to would be users of the ATM in Arillas..
Because of the poor euro rate instead of taking cash  we opted for the Nationwide Flexi card,which at that time was comission free. First time we tried the card it refused..we tried all the options ie: Cheque,savings,credit,but to no avail.. the following day we went to the Atm in Aviotes..which kindly allowed us to draw some cash.
later in the week we again tried the Atm in Arillas but still no joy...we then returned to Aviotes and guess what ...unable to withdraw...I called the Nationwide and they confirmed funds were ok and they could see from the records that we had tried to withdraw but each time the ATM deposited it back into our account...I called Eurobank in Corfu town...they were not interested!!!the day after we tried our barclay card  in the atm and it just swallowed it before we pressed a key...fortunately we then tried our tsb debit card which allowed us to withdraw funds... so don`t take the atm`s in corfu for granted...!!!

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 03:11:56 PM »
Thanks for reposting that Kes.

I didn't see it June, maybe because I didn't login as much as normal. I think we can  all assume that even though there is an ATM in Arillas, and we have a credit card or debit card, we may not be able to get cash when we want it.

I will always make sure I have a minimum of €200 until the last few days of the holiday, and even then I would keep €100 incase we needed it should there be strikes etc at he airport for the journey home.

Booking.com