Author Topic: what insect repellent do u use?  (Read 19455 times)

Offline sue

• Forum Fanatic
what insect repellent do u use?
« on: May 02, 2005, 11:21:08 AM »
ive used autan the spray but it chokes me.
just wondered if there was a better one.
thanks suexx

Offline Ivan

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 11:46:56 AM »
8) Interestingly after a few days of Greek food with lots of olive oil and garlic the mozzies don't bother me.
                                            Ivan
       PS I wonder why?????

Offline Lisa and Steve

• JustLisa
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 11:49:56 AM »
my husband smothers himself in Bens repellent,I think thats the name.I use nothing and touch wood haven't been eaten alive.There'e always a first time though.

Offline tracey&peter

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 12:03:17 PM »
I always use the Autan roll on - mind you the local stuff from the supermarket is pretty good - also Avon do an aftersun that has an insect repllent in it which is good to use as well as the autan.

tracey x

Tracey & Peter Smith
Solihull
West Midlands

Offline carol

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 12:26:15 PM »
Last year in Arillas my brother in law covered himself in the lemon that came with his evening meal,we all thought he'd lost the plot,maybe he had.But he was the only one who came from Arillas without a bite!!cx
Im going to become to nanna for the first time in February cx

Offline Samantha

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 01:48:48 AM »
lol i would have though lemon would have attracted them?! Might try that though as I always get bitten loads the first week. I have a tiny bottle of insect repellant call Scram which i got last year of ebay.Thats great for treating bites but can't seem to find anymore.Anyone know where i can buy it? :roll:
Samantha McCoo  :-)

Offline SteveL

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 05:48:27 PM »
Anything with Deet in it does the trick for us. Bought Boots 50% Deet repellent to try this year.
Whatever you use, some Mozzies are bound to get you though !!!

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 09:39:24 PM »
Sue,

There are so many products on the market it's mind boggling.

The mosquitos don't bother me much, or at least I should say I don't react to their bite, which is where the problem arises.  Last year my sister-in-law reacted very badly to the  bites which then became infected.  The doctor in Arillas prescribed anti-histamines and said that the allergy would decrease each year...a great excuse to return!

I don't have any favourite repellent, but usually take something containing Deet.  This year for a change I have bought a couple herbal sprays and roll-ons for my family and the Avon aftersun with repellent in it.  I've also bought Mosi-Bands from Morrisons, they are stretchy bands for wrist or ankles (not too sure about that unless under trousers!) containing 30% Deet/3.5% Citronella and last for 14 days if worn for 7hrs at a time. They have been recommended by friends, who say they have also seen them fastened to baby buggys.  I'm going to fasten them to my grandsons buggy as even although the instructions say they are safe for children over 6 mths I would never dream of putting Deet on a young child.

Happy mozzie and bite free holidays to everyone.

Eileenx

Maggie

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 11:21:49 PM »
I always use autan spray, and I find that it's the best stuff for me. However, I always take garlic tablets before and during my trip, which are supposed to deter mozzies, so I;m not sure which is actually the one that works! :?  I havent had so many bites in the last few years, so maybe Eileens right, and you become more immune in time? 8) maggie :wink:

Offline SteveL

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 09:41:50 AM »
On a lighter note - mozzies are supposed to be attracted to sexually active people !!!
So you know what NOT to do to help avoid getting bitten !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the other hand, you might just have to put up with the bites  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Ivan

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 02:40:49 PM »
:lol: So no sniggering and pointing if you see anyone with lots of bites!!!!!!!
                        Ivan

Offline Pete E

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005, 03:51:10 PM »
Quote from: Steve & Val
On a lighter note - mozzies are supposed to be attracted to sexually active people !!!

That's an interesting phrase isn't it - sexually active. Does that mean that you're doing it lots, or would it work if you just wished you were doing it lots but didn't have the opportunity?!

I find the only time I get bothered by mozzies is under the table at the taverna - i.e. they fly under the table and get my ankles as opposed to me being under the table. Mind you... :wink:

I now smother my ankles with whatever spray the missus has packed (she is very susceptible to bites - does that mean I am sexually active but she isn't - ooh err! :? ) and it works a treat.

Offline tracey&peter

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2005, 05:50:52 PM »
Steve & Val

I now understand why I'm covered from head to toe with those bites!!!!

Tracey x

Tracey & Peter Smith
Solihull
West Midlands

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Mozzies
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2005, 09:35:49 PM »
Sexually active eh! - Now I understand why I get more bites than a fisherman in a mackeral shoal.

Offline Paul/Deb5

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2005, 11:22:57 PM »
Hi all

Very interesting !! at least you will know whens the best time?its when your partner gets a few Mozzie bites, it makes getting bitten not so bad now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And Mozzies only like the bald bits,thats the bottom of the legs and of course the head !!!!!!!!!!!

Paul/Deb5

Booking.com