Author Topic: what insect repellent do u use?  (Read 19491 times)

Offline LondonClaire

Avon Suntain stuff with insect repellent
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2005, 03:00:47 AM »
Hi

I realise this is an old topic but I am always glad to pass this tip on.  I highly recomend the Avon Suntan range with added insect repellent.  It really is effective.  The year my husband and I discovered how good it is, we were in Cephalonia and we had taken some of that and some other suntan stuff and we soon noticed that when we did not have the Avon insect repellent suntan lotion or aftersun on, the midges were all around us, but when we had it on we didn't get any.  

So last time we just took that.  They do it in sunfactor 30 and 12 and in an aftersun, and I wouldn't dream of using anything else.

In fact, Avon do other ranges of Suntan lotion, without the added insect repellent, and I can't understand why!!!

I recently ordered mine online at:

http://www.avonshop.co.uk/catalog.asp?cat=2047&mnu=2047

Happy hols everyone.

:o)

Claire x

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
what insect repellent do u use?
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2005, 01:58:06 PM »
Hi, Claire,

I've heard that the Avon suncream range with insect repellant is very good, so it was good to read your review and hopefully my aftersun is not a waste of money. :D  The wee blighters hardly seem to bother me, but it will come in useful for my family.

I should imagine the suncream with repellant would only be worthwhile if out walking in the countryside, can't say I've noticed any bothersome flies during the daylight hours.

happy hols to you too, it won't be long. :D

eileenx

Offline Yvonne

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2005, 02:18:16 PM »
A friend of mine always takes a pot of Marmite........(consumption only)  :lol:

Just one slice of toast or a sandwich a day keeps the little blighters away from her (and she tells me shes got sweet skin haha)

Will try it myself in September, anythings worth a try  :?

Regards
Yvonne x
Love to talk to people who have enjoyed Arillas as much as i have.  :-)

Offline LondonClaire

Marmite soldiers it is then!
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2005, 07:43:58 PM »
Yum, have just put Marmite on my holiday shopping list.  Marmite soldiers for breakfast methinks.  I never keep Marmite in, but I fancy some now!

What with that and the Avon sun lotion it'll be a bit of a belt and braces exercise!

Claire x

PS  While I'm at it, Avon's nail varnish remover is the best I've ever tried.  And before you wonder, no I don't have shares in Avon!

Offline tracey&peter

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2005, 08:41:17 PM »
I have to agree, Avons insect repellent is the best - I have a stach of it ready for the holiday - I have never heard of the Marmite theory, but being a Marmite baby and never travelling without it I shall try it - also if you look at some of the previous recommendations on this subject apparently the sexually active never get bitten - so girls you know what to do!!!!!

Tracey x

Tracey & Peter Smith
Solihull
West Midlands

Offline alex

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2005, 09:08:57 PM »
i used the avon insect repellent while on holiday the other week. for the first time ever dick and me returned home with out 1 mosi bite will be using it this september in arillas. alex

Offline Paul/Deb5

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2005, 09:24:48 PM »
Hi All
  Thanks Alex and all, will try the Avon as it has been confirmed by a few of you, I only get a few bites around the ankles usually ,it must be where I've been spreading the Marmite !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul/Deb5

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2005, 11:44:53 PM »
I was tempted to put down the heel of my sandles :lol: ,but i use a natural mossie repelant i bought in Boots cannot remember the name though,but it is good for kids also and protects for 10 hrs,and is made in Leeds.I have not been biten for about 15 years but i do use a lot of mossie repelant and the tablets i use 2 a night in the electric plug in thingy,but we do have the window open.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline SteveL

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2005, 09:42:10 AM »
The tip about Marmite is not a silly as it might sound to some.  Brewer's Yeast tablets have a similar effect, but you need to be taking them for a while before you go as well as while you're there.
Apparently it's something to do with B vitamins which deter the mozzies and B vitamins are also found in Marmite.

Steve & Val

Offline Aly

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2005, 03:12:12 PM »
I use Crocodile (Deet free). Its a roll on and smells pretty good too. Apparently men that fish use it.

Offline tracey&peter

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2005, 04:55:32 PM »
Where can you buy Crocodile from?

Tracey

Tracey & Peter Smith
Solihull
West Midlands

Offline Aly

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2005, 06:04:39 PM »
Crocodile, not too sure  :? . You can 'google' it, try: crocodile deet free, and Im sure you can get it through the net or there will be suppliers who stock it. Sorry, it was a gift. Hope you get something ... the little blighters love a good feed don't they? I think if you have tasty blood they will get you (they get me  :cry: ), but sometimes the products you wear make it less painful and unsightly!

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2005, 06:21:29 PM »
I bought some earlier on this year, being deet free it is ideal for my grandson.  I'll check later on to see what website I bought it from.

Eileenx

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2005, 11:53:44 AM »
Found it!

I ordered mine from here   http://www.natural-woman.com/p_crocodile.htm

I also bought their Aloe Vera Gel, it has a high 97% Aloe Vera content, so it should be lovely and soothing on any redness after a day in the sun. :D

Eileenx

Offline tracey&peter

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2005, 12:31:55 PM »
thanks for the Eileen, have just made my purchase.

Hopefully in September I wont be coming home with those awful marks all over my legs

Tracey x

Tracey & Peter Smith
Solihull
West Midlands

Booking.com