Author Topic: what insect repellent do u use?  (Read 19456 times)

Offline sue

• Forum Fanatic
what insect repellent do u use?
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2005, 11:14:03 PM »
ive ordered some from Avon.
its got insect repellent in it.
suexx

Offline sue

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2005, 11:15:09 PM »
forgot to say
i still use autan at night
suexx
thanks for all the info

Offline Aly

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2005, 03:09:38 PM »
Apparently Crocodile can be purchased at ASDA

Offline sue

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2005, 03:08:05 PM »
will have to take a look in Asda
at the croc stuff
suexx

Offline Fiona

• Arillas Addict
Marmite
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2005, 04:46:39 PM »
Hi everyone

Just returned from two wonderful weeks in Arillas with no mozzie bites.  I did have a couple of bites from something that appeared as red lumps, but the skin around them was totally "numbed", presumably by the injected poison, and they didn't even itch.  :)  :D

I had taken a pot of Marmite - I had missed the recommendation on here, but I don't like the jam provided in the hotel - and I guess it must have worked.  There were mozzies in plenty and many other people in the hotel got bitten (some very badly), but I escaped.  Needless to say the Marmite was very popular amongst the other guests as they had heard of its merits.  A bigger pot required next time I think!  :)
I have also heard Vitamin B1 does the trick - is this Brewer's Yeast?

We are going again in August and all the locals have told us that there are no mozzies around then.  We certainly found this to be true in September last year - never saw one anywhere!

Fiona

Offline Lisa and Steve

• JustLisa
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2005, 05:59:51 PM »
Hi fiona.We came back from Arillas fri just gone.I didn't get bitten and I also take a pot of marmite with me.We are also going back in August,when do you go?

Offline Paul/Deb5

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2005, 12:09:18 AM »
Hi all,
  Thanks for those comments we will defiantly be taking the pot of Marmite,or can it be any type of beef extract ??

Paul/Deb5

Offline lynne

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
insect repellent
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2005, 01:33:23 PM »
I usually get bitten but this year i bought boots soltan aftersun with insect repellent in I used it and also my youngest daughter who is 10 and also as an extra precaution sprayed superdrug extra strength buzz off - No bites. Altho I have also heard eating garlic helps which is no hardship. :D
lynne

Offline Pete E

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2005, 11:48:01 AM »
Hi Paul/Deb5

I think you might be getting Marmite confused with Bovril - same shaped jar, completely different contents.  Marmite is vegetarian - someone once told me that it is scraped off the bottom of beer vats as a left over from the brewing process, but I don't suppose that is true!

Anyway, I am one of those people who would jump into "The blob" rather than run from it as I love the stuff.

Pete

Offline Fiona

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2005, 08:20:52 PM »
Hi Pete

It's definitely Marmite as that is the stuff that has B Vitamins in it.  As Brewer's Yeast also works, I guess what you say about the brewing industry is correct!

I've just looked at the Bovril jar in the cupboard and that has Vit B12, but I've been told Vit B1 is the magic one!!

I love them both and the Marmite is just great with real butter on Greek toast  :D

Fiona

Offline Paul/Deb5

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2005, 07:08:54 PM »
Hi Pete
 Thanks for that I never new that Marmite was vegetarian, I just like the stuff and now you tell me its origin is alcolhol, even better!!!!!!!!!!

Paul/Deb5

Offline Mr & Mrs Cafes

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
Insect Repellent
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2005, 10:17:00 PM »
Good question.  I used to get bitten badly then I read an article that Skin-So-Soft Dry Oil Bodyspray (Woodland Fresh) used after showering will act as a repellent.  It does.  Used ever since, no probs and recommended to many others who have found it works too.  PS I don't work for Avon!!!  My sister in law swears by lavender and uses a spray and stick and Spiros at Bardis Studios says always use liquid plug in room, not tablets, and use liquid Autan with lemon, not a spray.  So there you have it, bet you didn't think anyone could have as much to say on the subject.  Hope it helps.  :D

Offline Paul/Deb5

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2005, 03:52:05 PM »
Hi Wendy & Stuart
   So many different remedies I'll have to take a seperate case to put all the varietys in !! But seriously though we have found it cheaper to buy some of the plug ins and sprays when we are out there and its what the locals use.

Paul/Deb5

Offline Lisa and Steve

• JustLisa
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2005, 08:27:17 PM »
We always use the plug ins and spray the room liberally before going out.Seems to work for us.

nesty

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2005, 10:33:27 AM »
Boots do an excellent (own brand) after sun / insect repellant - it really works guys... (thanks Lynne) !! - we will be buying some before we go back in September

Bought some crocodile stuff but my missus says it smells vile.

Booking.com