Author Topic: Hello Everyone...  (Read 12617 times)

Offline IanandSylvia

Hello Everyone...
« on: August 11, 2009, 03:38:40 PM »
Hi all,

We're new here; Ian and Sylvia from Northumberland. We both love the Greek Isles, and Corfu in particular. We're coming on a first visit to Arillas this year, on the 4th September for a fortnight, and are looking forward to it very much.

We'll be staying at the Kaloudis Village - about which we've heard so much good news - so if you're going to be there, keep an eye out for us! (You won't recognise us until I pop a couple of pics on the gallery, I know - but we'll be with my mother too; a scots lady who once met is kind of unmistakeable...)

I've read elsewhere that September is wasp season - any tips on how to deal with the odd squadron that we might come across?

PS - sorry if my questions have already been answered elsewhere; I'll take a while to have a browse...
Ego gets - and forgets
Love gives - and forgives

Offline Cheryl2307

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
Re: Hello Everyone...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 04:42:39 PM »
Welcome to the forum or 'madhouse'!!  I'm there from 31st August for a week so I'll keep an eye for you!  I'm sure you will all love it.
Cheryl O

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 05:38:39 PM »
hi Ian and Sylvia. Cheryl's not far off with "mad-house!"

We were in Arillas all last September, and yes sometimes the wasps were a bit of a nuisance. But they were in UK before we got over there! Graziella (lovely taverna on beach front) always put smoking things - some reckon the are burning coffee grouts but don't know - all around us while eating there out by the sea and that kept the little s**s at bay. We burned Nag Champa Incense on our balcony, and apart from the lovely smell, it kept them away from us.

An old fashioned swat, or repellant spray might help but I wouldn't want it to get in my beer....

You will have a wonderful time. So many choices of fabulous food and whatever has been said, the beach is as lovely as usual. We were all spoiled last year.

Bon voyage!
Phil

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 06:29:52 PM »
hi Ian and Sylvia. Cheryl's not far off with "mad-house!"

We burned Nag Champa  on our balcony, .
Phil

Phil - What did this guy do to upset you then? Poor chap comes to Arillas from India then...

Ian n Sylvia
Thanks for taking the time to post and I'm sure you will like Kaloudis Village.

We're hoping that the waspies will take a back seat in Sept but pesky little creatures they are. More annoying than anything else. They're not interested in stinging you but more interested in what's on your plate. All you can do is gently brush them away and as a last resort squash the little tinker with a tissue.

Cheers
Negg

riggers

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 06:40:50 PM »
Me thinks they are more interested what's in my glass than on my plate Negg :wink:

cheers..
riggers.

Offline tonynglenda

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 11:16:56 PM »
Welcome ian and sylvia. Nice to have some fellow northumbrians on the site. We live beside bedlington and have been going to arillas twice a year for a few of years now and we love it. Bet youre hooked after your first visit. We are there 25th sept for our second visit this year, so we'll not see you. Enjoy. Tony and Glenda.

Offline iluvsangeorge

• About Agios Georgios
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 12:49:26 AM »
We're hoping that the waspies will take a back seat in Sept but pesky little creatures they are. More annoying than anything else. They're not interested in stinging you but more interested in what's on your plate. All you can do is gently brush them away and as a last resort squash the little tinker with a tissue.

I agree with Negg about the wasps and staying calm without waving your arms about violently. If one actually settles on you just gently brush it away but its best not to kill it if possible. Apparently when a wasp is killed or hurt it gives off a strong chemical which is picked up by the others from the colony. It is the same chemical they give off when the colony is being attacked so the rest of the colony can become very aggressive and go looking for trouble !

Dennis

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 01:53:40 AM »
That's what I find Dennis. For some reason the Arillan wasps seem very laid back. Can't imagine why...... Oh all right then I know exactly why. I've been boring for Greece on the subject for two years, mostly on our forum.

But it has taken Jen quite a while to contain the screams and flailing arms. She is much better now.

Arillas isn't about wasps and mozzies though. They are there to remind you that too much joy, peace and enjoyment are bad for you. Or so they keep telling me. I've never quite believed it.....

Phil

Offline Sara

• Forum Fanatic
    • www.villatheia-corfu.com
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 10:59:09 AM »
WELCOME TO THE FORUM IAN & SYLVIA

You're just going to love Arillas & all it has to offer & I can almost guarantee that you'll return again & again.

I've never stayed at the Kaloudis Village, but it sounds great & has some very good reviews.

I've been told that the wasps in Corfu are called Paper Wasps & they are not as aggressive as the wasps here - as Phil said they are more laid back & yes, it is best not to flap around & try to stay calm [easier said than done!]

Have fun in September.

Sara

Offline IanandSylvia

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 01:03:57 PM »
Kali Mera!

Thanks to everyone for the replies - what a great little community!

I've had a browse around the site, and am now looking forward to September even more; if that was possible!

I so enjoyed reading about how the site was set up - to tease a couple of relatives - and look what has happened!

I've also ordered one of those excellent-looking walking maps for North West Corfu advertised here. Sylvia and I love walking, so we'll try a few of those for size. I also fond of photography, so I'll take plenty of pics.

Like a lot here, I mostly love the Greek attitude to life, the weather and the fantastic food (Can't wait to sample the kleftiko, lamb, swordfish and so on and so on - will have to loosen my belt as no amount of walking will burn THAT many calories!)

We'll live and let live with the waspies - after all, we're just visiting, they're residents...

Yassas!!

Ian and Sylvia
Ego gets - and forgets

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 02:38:51 PM »
Ian, I put a stone on last July - we were there for two weeks - the food is fantastic!  I'm determined to do more walking (even if it's just taverna to bar!!) but if it's as bad at least it will only be half a stone this time as only going for a week!
Cheryl O

Offline isobel

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 11:01:13 AM »
welcome to the arillas site we live in alston not far from nothumberland im sure you wwill love arillas and will return look forward to how you get on

Offline IanandSylvia

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 09:10:57 PM »
A new and more seasonal profile pic - without a winter coat on - (It's taken in Santorini, but what the hey...)

I'm very glad to meet fellow Northerners, as well as everyone else; we're from Newbiggin By The Sea (The North Sea, that is) - we need the sun more than most...

Stifado, Souvlaki, Meatballs - oh yes!

Or a salad through the day with feta, and those tomatoes that you can't seem to get anywhere else, drizzled in olive oil - with a glass of chilled rose and some crusty bread

Only a fortnight away...
Ego gets - and forgets

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 09:36:42 PM »
IanandSylvia, try the Graziella tomatoes. They grow them, and they are to DIE for. Whenever we come back to Blighty we don't eat tomatoes for weeks because they are so disappointing compared to what we have been eating.

For must try tips, Stamna at Portofino, Stifado and Bourdetto at Brouklis (separately of course) Village Chicken at Kostas on the Beach, Sea Bream at Vavilas, and Garlic Prawns at Graziella. But everyone here will come up with their own list... we all have done many times on the forum. Arillas is death to waistlines...

Phil

Offline Martin_G

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 11:15:25 AM »
IanandSylvia, try the Graziella tomatoes. They grow them, and they are to DIE for.

For must try tips, Stamna at Portofino, Stifado and Bourdetto at Brouklis (separately of course) Village Chicken at Kostas on the Beach, Sea Bream at Vavilas, and Garlic Prawns at Graziella.

Phil

I'm now dribbling uncontrollably on the keyboard after reading that Phil!

Martin

Booking.com