Author Topic: A big thank-you  (Read 2218 times)

Offline John B

• Holiday in Heaven
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
A big thank-you
« on: August 22, 2009, 12:07:03 AM »
e have visited Greece for many years.

Arillas for the last seven [sometimes twice a year]

I placed a post a few months ago about Zorbas cafe and that you don't see many tourists there.

For the last two years we have been there just for a quick drink and maybe a chat.

This year we spent a lot more time there, between 5/6 o'clock just before we went back to get ready for our evening meal.

We got to know the family so well [ and pets ].

This is Greek life to the full.

We were amazed at what infomation we received about life in Greece [ even in Winter time ].

Each night we went there, it was like a history lesson with pleasure.

To finish off I would like to give the biggest thank-you ever to Spiro, Toni, MARIO [what a guy] and Mama [for the best home made Feta cheese in the world].

The drinks and foood are so cheap, but that is not the point.

This has been my greatest understanding of life as a true Greek.

I feel honoured that this beautiful family took the time to make us so welcome.

Thanks again

John & Janine

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
Re: A big thank-you
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 12:12:17 AM »
What a lovely post John. I've often gone past Zorbas and thought of going in but will make a point of it next time.
Sandy x

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 02:06:43 AM »
We have always walked past too as well unless we stop and stroke the lovely white cat stretched out on the table...  We know someone who spent a lovely afternoon there downing ouzos at 1 euro a shot and having a lovely chat with the owner!  Whoever that is will remember or not!!! ;-)   

We used to do the same with Efi's because it was quiet, we thought it wasnt opened until we frequented hers almost every night last year..  How pleasantly surprised we were!  Apparently because its just her and her mum in the kitchen they dont advertise and are happy to cope with whoever turns up - therefore you get real authentic and freshly cooked food, not for the masses.  Now we might just try Zorbas and be in for a nice surprise too.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 02:51:36 AM »
I am bound to comment folks - you all just mark-me-as-read anyway so who cares.

JohnB you have expressed exactly what I feel every time I am in Arillas.

This has been my greatest understanding of life as a true Greek.

I feel honoured that this beautiful family took the time to make us so welcome

We were welcomed like neighbours the first time we ever went into Zorbas, and more since. But Monica and Spiros at Akti did the big double arm wave every time we walked past, Olga walked out for a chat, George and Kinga always waved and smiled as we walked past, Yiota walked out of her shop to say hello. No wonder it takes us an hour to get from Brouklis to Armourada! I have left dozens of bits out of that list, it is impossible to put them all in. Like Spiros at Thalassa who insists we are family, not tourists.

I second you JohnB - A big thank-you to the people who see us once or twice a year but simply enjoy our company. Anyone can join in - just open your hearts to these special people.

Phil

Offline IanandSylvia

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 12:49:46 PM »
I am always humbled by the hospitality of our hosts, and how they can can ALWAYS show us how we should really set our priorities in life.
Ego gets - and forgets
Love gives - and forgives

Booking.com