Author Topic: Where to Stay 2010?  (Read 8198 times)

Offline mathsboffin

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
Where to Stay 2010?
« on: August 29, 2009, 02:40:47 PM »
I am getting in a muddle after reading lots of forum posts on accommodation.  We are a couple with 2 teenage boys age 14 arriving towards the end of August 2010 for 14 nights.  We may only have one boy with us though if the friend can't come. 

I initially looked at Kaloudis Village but have been put off by the noisy bar area into th early hours and around by the pool. 

This year we stayed right on the beach in Agios Gordios which was lovely and last year we stayed at Agios Georgios North again right on the beach and had a lovely holiday.

What we don't want - late night noise from bars/traffic mainly.  We quite like to be central and near the beach, but not if it is noisy at night. 

What we do want - a reasonable sized pool for the boys, somewhere where there may be other teenagers for the boy(s), either a nice quality 2 bedroomed apt or 2 studios.   Pool table for the boys again!

Marina Hotel & apartments - are these one and the same accommodation - is it busy with traffic being near a side street and is it noisy?  Noisier in August?
Tria Adelphia - how long does it take to walk in? do older families like us go there?
Mathraki Studios?

We are looking to go independently as we have done in previous year.   Any advice would be gratefully welcomed as I am becoming more and more confused!  Spend more time researching the holiday than on it!
Sharon

Offline sharonF

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Where to Stay 2010?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 05:02:14 PM »
Hi Mathsboffin,

Havent stayed at kaloudis so cant comment on noise from there,

Tria Adelphia is about a 10-15 min walk to resort centre, its lovely and peaceful, yes older couples do go there.

Mathraki is about 5 mins from beach.  Its near enough to tavernas etc but you dont get any noise at night.  Lovely clean rooms, fantastic family, look on reviews on here.  ou would probably be better suited here with teenage boys.

Hope this helps.

You will adore Arillas.

Sharon x

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 05:51:58 PM »
Hi Maths B

I can only tell you what I know but all the info you will receive from all Forum Members may help you to make a decision. ( Or confuse you a little more )

Kaloudis - There are not many negative reports about this place and it has it's regular visitors every year. Night music has been mentioned as a downside though. That said, there should be other teenagers there and it has a dartboard and pool table and it's just a big step to the beach. A nice place to be, I'm told.

Mirage - Again has it's regulars and is right on the beach. They have most things kids need should they get fed up lying on a sunbed. ( Inc. many new films afternoons )

Tria Adelphia - Another good place to be and just far enough away to give you extra peace n quiet. Pool table / Table football / Darts and Sky TV. - 15 mins to beach.

Marina Hotel - As with other places along the beach front you are bound to get a little noise. But people return to these places every year so maybe not to much a problem.

Rainbow Poo/Bar - Has a very big following and, once again all you need to please the teenagers. They hold quiz nights, serve good food and sometimes have live music.
10 minutes to the beach. A good selection of Appts. Dionysis etc. Nice family.

Going Independantly ? Then talk to Olgas Travel for Elena Stella. Maybe to quiet for the lads though. No Pool Table etc but a quiet place to stay and equally a quiet pool.
About 10 minutes to the beach. Basic Appts but should have all you need.

Or.... Talk to Fenos at Gallini Appts - Again 10 mins to beach.
Or....  Try Poppy and Spiros at Bardis son. 5 mins to beach when the kids get fed up with playing pool or with the pool itself.

You are spoilt for choice here but bear in mind that a noisy moped is just as noisy on the outskirts of Arillas as it is on the sea front. However late night revellers tend to run out of badly tuned voices once they've walked for 10 minutes.

Inland and away from hustle and bustle may suit you.

Cheers
Negg

Offline mathsboffin

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 05:58:32 PM »
Dear Eggy and Sharon

Thank you for taking the time to make your extensive replies.  We have been a bit spoilt this year with staying right on the beach and consequently now want the whole caboodle - peace and quiet, no distance to the beach and things for the boys to do.  I know we can't have it all.

Eggy's point about the noise - you are exactly right, it's more the pound, pound of the music that worries me and incessant moped noise (our holiday in Skiathos town comes to mind!!) not the occasional one or two. 

There is a lot to look at here - thank you very much for your input.

Mathsboffin
Sharon

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 06:25:55 PM »
The first place that came to my mind was Mirage, which is on the beach but quite a distance from the two late-night bars. Ideal for youngsters and a magnificent pool. Everything is within effortless reach of there.

But as others say, for true peace and quiet, the Tria Adelphia or Elena Stella are good choices. The Tria has a bit more for teenagers. But in truth a 15 minute walk (and a very pleasant one) gets you into the middle of things.

One that has been missed out is Anna's Studios. It is well up the hill, which can be an issue for less able bodied folks. But it has unbelieveably wonderful views over Arillas, is so well kept that even the owners sparkle as much as even the table legs. And wonderfully peaceful. We stayed for two weeks last July. You'll find my review in Accommodation Reviews. A lovely family atmosphere there.

Eggy's right - information overload. There is every choice you could want - you just have to pick the right one!

Phil

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 06:46:20 PM »
We are returning to Kaloudis Village in 2010  for the 3rd time. Yes, there is music at night but we haven't found it to be intrusive and have never had problems sleeping - and I am a stickler for having P&Q to sleep.  Maybe that's because we have always been in the studios which have the bathroom/front door facing the bar (Roula's Thomson ones), not the ones right next to the bar or behind it (under Billy's house).

However, next year we are going independently and have booked direct with Roula and are staying in one of her 2-bed apartments which are very far away from the bar, overlooking the sea (if you stayed in Billy's independent accomodation you would be right next to the bar!).  I think the cost in July/Aug would be approx 600 Euro per week including aircon.  (We are doing 2 weeks in July - just two of us for one week @ 400 Euros, then 3 of us for the next week at 500 Euros).   

I hope you find what you want.

Offline mathsboffin

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 06:57:09 PM »
Interesting difference in price!  I have had a reply today quoting 1400 E for 23/8-6/9 going direct to Kaloudis in a 2 bedroom!  Not worth going independent if you compare First Choice and Thomsons prices.
Sharon

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 09:00:56 PM »
Hi Maths Bofffin

I really think that the Kaloudis will be right up your street, but down the independent route (Roula) so that you have more choice.  Failing that, right next door, directly on the beachfront is the Marinaki where we stay.  Very quiet and chillled but close enough to the Kaloudis if they want a wander up.  PM me if you need any further details.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 11:50:48 PM »
Well done Jo. Sounds like the right answer. Why didn't I think of that? Know how well it suits yous all. And right on the beach.

Maths Boffin, look at Jo's recent posts. (Members in the mwnu  and look at recent posts of this person)

Phil

Offline Jersey Bean

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 12:40:05 PM »
Sorry if this posts twice I replied before and my computer crashed.  I can highly recommend the front facing 2 bedroom apartments at the Kaloudis.  They are overlooking the sea, not near the bar and have large balconies overlooking lovely gardens.  They are certainly not noisy and can be booked through Thomson or direct with Roula.  This year we stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment at the Marina Hotel overlooking the pool.  The price was very reasonable and again it was not particularly noisy, maybe the ones nearer the back are.  I have also stayed at the Rainbow and loved it.  It's an excellent choice for teenagers as there is a lively atmosphere in the evening and Jimmy and Spiros are excellent hosts.  I could recommend them all but I think as you want to be near the front you might find the Tria Adelphia a bit far out.

Karen.

Offline annie

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 01:36:18 PM »
Hi
We have been to the Kaloudis 5 times and the noise from the bar has never bothered us. With teenagers we dont come home much before 1am so it is normally quiet. We also stay door facing the bar with balcony facing the sea on Roulas side, so not overlooking or next to the bar. The doors have a glass panel in and the lights from the walkways i find far more annoying. The lights go out about 5am. The Kaloudis has one of the best pools, internet access,pool table and a 2 min walk from the beach. My idea of heaven. I would recommend these apartments to anybody. i find these particular apartments cheaper through thomsons than independant as the transfer is included and when i cost the flight separately they are often the same cost as the whole holiday with thomsons. The up side of booking direct is the air con is included.If you go with three people with thomsons the under occupancy is quite expensive. If there are 4 people then with 2 studios you do get 2 showers which saves a lot of time.
Hope you find the right accommodation for you and your family
Annie

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 08:12:09 PM »
Hmm the lights that waas what got to Pete and  I when we were there, we ended up with bath towels hanging on the inside of the door an Billy wasnt to pleased about that as he said it gave a bad impression of the appartments, I dont think it did as I  found that apart from that all was fine. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 10:47:30 PM »
The Tria is as good a place as any
It may be on the outskirts but what,s a little walk when you are in Arillas
We stayed there with our three year old grandson, he loved the walks down to the beach, no need to rush any where.
The pool is one of the best in Arillas
They have a pool table, dart board, TV, Food is good and nothing is a problem
Philip will look after you and you wont be dissapointed.

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 11:02:21 PM »
Lol Viv we have also done the towel job on the front door at Kaloudis and we have stayed there 4 or 5 times over the years
that said the Kaloudis was the first place that sprung to mind after reading maths boffin's post taking in to consideration some of their holiday needs
Rainbow was next then Mirage purely based on what my daughter would have chosen when she was 14yrs and if my memory serves me correct the last time she came to Arillas with us was when she was 14yrs and we stayed at Kaloudis, she loved the place as did we and still do for that matter.

Horizon would come next but maybe a tad over the budget.

Maths Boffin if you were quoted 1400euro for 2 weeks 2 bedroom peak season that's a fair price in my opinion....but I guess when you factor in flights it could work out more than a package
Where ever you end up staying in Arillas you will enjoy,remember the boys will always be safe where ever you stay and you can go off for a romantic walk along the beach with just the sounds of the sea and the gentle lapping of the waves across your feet......and you will only be minutes away if they needed you.
good luck
Ang

Offline june

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 12:58:14 AM »
H

Next year will be our eighth stay at Kaloudis and we've never found the noise a problem. I don't drink and we're often home and tucked up by 10. (I know very boring but it's what we like) Sometimes the noise from the Coconut or Malibu can travel over on a clear night. Also one year we did have a couple come in at about two thirty every night and start arguing but that can happen anywhere.
Kaloudis is very clean and central and the family are so good we love it.
hope you give it a try.

June

Booking.com