Author Topic: A taste of rural Corfiot life  (Read 13803 times)

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
A taste of rural Corfiot life
« on: August 30, 2009, 01:08:05 PM »
We are excited about our new idea which we would like to share with all our friends who love Arillas as much as we do.

We are pleased to offer our guests the opportunity to enjoy a taste of the traditional Corfu by opening the doors of Villa Linakis not only during the summer months but out of season as well. We have brought together local people to guide guests through the culinary delights and traditional way of life that have been part of the Corfiot way of life for centuries.

Corfu has such a lot to offer.  Most of us have great intentions to get out and about to experience the ‘other side’ of Corfu, but before we know it our holiday has drawn to an end and yet again we haven’t accomplished much besides relaxing,  swimming in the sea/ pool or eating in a restaurant – nothing wrong with that either - I'm an expert in all those activities!

Our intention is to make it easier for guests to explore their interests and to experience more of what Arillas has to offer…to discover how to cook authentic Greek dishes, help harvest olives or sample the organic wines during their own personal wine tasting session.

For those who enjoy the great outdoors we can arrange walking and private guided island tours. We are also able to point them in the right direction for bird watching. Or for those who prefer not to venture too far from the villa art classes and writing workshops are also available.

Additional special interests and activities are in the pipeline.

If you would like to read more about our exciting project please click here... A taste of rural Corfiot life

Eileen & Keith.

Offline Sara

• Forum Fanatic
    • www.villatheia-corfu.com
Re: A taste of rural Corfiot life
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 02:26:09 PM »
Eileen - thats a great idea & Gary & myself wish you loads & loads of luck & hope its successful for you.
Putting something together like "A taste of rural Corfiot life" must have taken ages, a lot of research & a lot organising.
I love the idea of learning to cook authentic Greek dishes [although I did cook up a pretty good Stifado on Friday, even if I do say so myself!]
I'm sure the harvesting the olives course will do well & who wouldn't love the wine tasting course.

Arillas is wonderful out of season. Very quiet & peaceful, but as you say it still has lots to offer.

Good Luck & well done.

Sara & Gary......................x

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 06:55:48 PM »
I’m sure you will provide a real Corfiot delight Eileen.
Sounds like an exciting venture, you will make it a success without doubt

Eileen & Keith’s Authentic Corfiot holidays? Sounds like a new business is about to be born

Offline John B

• Holiday in Heaven
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 07:23:03 PM »
Good luck Eileen,

Sounds a brilliant idea.

John

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 07:27:02 PM »
eileen
love the new web site,hope all goes well...............yammas

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 07:55:35 PM »
WOW what a great new venture, wishing you every success with it. Love Viv & Pete

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Ivan

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 09:24:10 PM »
Eileen, a brilliant idea which helps seperate a villa holiday further from regular pre-packaged tourism. Every success
                                           Ivan

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 10:10:48 PM »
Well done Eileen,here's hoping you get some early bookings and more to come.
Im sure there are some who would just like a few days in rural corfu/Arillas out of season I know we would if we could get the flights.
Ang

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 10:25:13 PM »
Sounds a great idea, Eileen.  Wishing you lots of success with your new venture.
love, lynn xx

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 10:51:45 PM »
Hi Keith n Eileen

Very good website.

But I have to tell all the Forum that you turned down my application as on site Cook.
I can appreciate that Pork chop n Chips n Baked beans is not the cuisine you had in mind ( Heinz beans as well! ) But I did thnk that the Birds Strawberry trifle, for dessert, would have swung things my way.  - Ah well! - Maybe I'll try Brouklis!.

It could be a very exciting Winter for all , methinks!

Cheers
Negg

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 11:50:50 PM »
Thank you all for your positive support and good wishes, it is very much appreciated.

I wish I could say the same about Neggs offer to cook...thank goodness I had a sound reason to refuse which saved the day!!! ;-)  (Sorry Neill it was the oven chips that killed it!)

As you are all aware our local eateries are closed during the winter months, therefore for convenience our chef is available to provide catering by arrangement.

Eileen
xxx
(thanks Ang!)

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 01:23:21 AM »
Great ideas and website, Eileen and Keith - Barry and I wish you everu success!
You look to have quite a lot of bookings already - here's to many more!
Janis x

Offline IanandSylvia

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 11:48:03 AM »
My best wishes go along with everyone else's above - what a great idea!

This will be our first visit to Arillas - (Friday coming!) so we might spend much of it exploring, in addition to just soaking up the sun, atmosphere, food and hospitality. The odds are good that this will be first and not only visit though, so we'll likely have a go in future.

The cuisine aspect is most interesting - it would be great to get some tips up front rather than attempting to emulate greek classics from a cookbook, the web, or the lovely Tonia Buxton.

I'm also reminded of a holiday we had in Kefalonia, where we did a lot of walking. We would often come across locals picking the olive harvest, with the nets under the trees. Two things about this still stay with me.

1. They would always take the trouble to stop working and wave to us - true
    hospitality!
2. I wish I'd stopped and asked if I could give a hand for a while, but....English
     reserve, I s'pose

Eggy - it seems to me that you might still be in with a shout if you ditch the oven chips, and stick some baclava in the birds trifle...?
Ego gets - and forgets
Love gives - and forgives

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 12:41:24 PM »
It's a wonderful idea Eileen luvver. Yous already know we are hoping it turns into a thumping great success for you both.

The cooking (and of course then the eating) really appeals to me. As IanandSylvia said it must beat cookbooks. Jen and me have seen every one of Tonia Buxton's programmes at least twice! And I often cook Greek, but with my own twists and variations.

I&S - the welcome for those who are willing to participate is just as you describe. A smile goes a long long way in Arillas. Just know you will find everything you want. Enjoy!

As for you Eggy, I'll deal with you when I'm there next time.....

lmao
Phil

Offline IanandSylvia

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 01:13:23 PM »
Thanks Phil,

Sylvia's favourite has always been moussaka, which is can be done in so many different ways (Tonia calls it Greek comfort food, as you'll no doubt remember.)

It's probably an unfair question then, given the variety of that particular dish, but where would you consider the best place to be for moussaka in Arillas?

We're both so much looking forward to the next two weeks - it sounds like paradise, even for two confirmed Greek Isle fanatics. Not forgeting my mam too; she'll have her 77th birthday on the 17th September (I've already approached Dimitris about a cake at Brouklis, without ever having been there!) - No worries about secrecy, mam doesn't have a PC...

Now I'm conscious that I'm taking this off on a tangent, which I don't mean to do. So I'll close this post by again congratulating you , Keith and Eileen, on a superb idea. Not only in it's concept, but also because you seem to be in the ideal location to make it work!

Best Wishes
Ian
Ego gets - and forgets
Love gives - and forgives

Booking.com