Author Topic: Mathraki  (Read 11901 times)

Offline EddieB

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
Mathraki
« on: September 18, 2009, 06:14:44 PM »
I have problems walking as I have 2 artificial knees.

Is the hill steep from the T junction near the ATM to the Mathraki Studios and also how far is it??

Ed.

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
Re: Mathraki
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 08:40:22 PM »
Hi Eddie it depends on how steep you mean and how good your knees are,there is a slight hill but its nothing like San Stef to the romanza or Voula apartments heres a pic of the road the Mathraki apartments are the ones with the red water tank on the top of them
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2165706270042611406ycMqmJ

Offline EddieB

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 09:23:49 PM »
Thanks for the pic Tony.

Was this taken from the bottom of the hill near the ATM?

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 09:31:23 PM »
Yes Eddie just after you turn the corner from the T junction where the Armourada restaurant is
Like i say its abit of a hill but not too bad i would say a couple of hundred yards from the junction to Mathraki
                                         Tony

Offline EddieB

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 09:41:34 PM »
Thanks again Tony.

I have only visited Arillas once, and that was staying at the Makris for 7 days in May 2008.
I only remember going up this road on a coach, but I don't suppose its any steeper than than the small hill you walk down on the road past the Bakery.

Ed.

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 10:01:37 PM »
Ed pictures can be deceptive,  Tony's were absolutely great  showing where you are from the ATM, there is a slight uphill incline a little bit more than the route you took on the road past the bakery.
An alternate route though a tad longer can be found, we used this route when staying at Thetis which is just around the corner from Mathraki.Hubby cant do that little hill incline (back probs)
But you will need to take the path that starts alongside the Ethfina (guess I spelt that wrong)taverna  just opposite the beach down the bottom end and keep following it until you get to Mathraki.....it really all depends on how far you and your knees can manage,I can only comment on personal experience and preference which ever route you feel suits best you will enjoy being back in arillas
Ang

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 02:52:48 AM »
Hi EddieB. Jen has serious walking problems, and would find the hill a trial if she had to go up and down many times. Mathraki is a great place to stay though. Own lovely pool, wonderful hosts, good reports from everyone on here so far. It isn't that far up the hill, and like Ang says, there is a back street way up there past Efithia on the sea front.

But I get the feeling you might do better in the sea front accommodation - hotel style in Marina or Horizon, or apartments in Mirage, Marinaki, or  any of those set just behind, like Brouklis, Rainbow, Irene's or Bardis Sun.

Happy to help - send me a PM if you want any information I can give you.

Phil

Offline EddieB

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 03:53:29 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the advice.
It appears that there are numerous self catering facilities in Arillas, so it's just a matter of finding something that meets are needs.

The only other problem is Package or Independent. At the moment the flights for next September from Manchester are rather expensive, and Easyjet do not bring there flight charges out till the end of the year, or the beginning of 2010.

Ed.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 07:56:17 PM »
Ed we all have that problem with EasyJet. There is a sort of "feeding frenzy" on the forum when the schedules are due. And when they come out, everyone books up as far in advance as they can, and EasyJet respond by putting all the prices up! They have a point though - in the early days you get silly-money prices, and the only way is up. ("baby! It's you and me now" do you remember the one-hit wonder Yazz?)

EasyJet don't seem to do the last minute thing. They only go up.

As for acommodation in Arillas the only thing you will not find is red carpets and afternoon tea. Styles, Ritz, Savoy, Hilton - forget it. But clean, liveable rooms are normal. Everyone can help you choose.

That is why there are hundreds of us who keep coming back.  Phil may be a blatherskite but I speak for our community. The entrance fee is zero - we just share our Arillas times.

Offline EddieB

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 09:25:42 PM »
Despite their web site having a booking form, the Mathraki as replied to my e-mail saying that it can only be booked through Thomson.

Ed.

Offline georgia

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 01:05:48 AM »
Well thats a disapointment. We came home last week from 2weeks independant there, great accomodation, great position. For the last 5days however there were only ourselves and one other couple there...so guess they have had to go back to an exclusive deal with tour operators...darned shame...we all need to do the independant route, first time this year we had been brave enough to do it, and it works like a dream, taxi transfer seamless, and we saved money. Tour operator quoted 1000pounds for a week at Kaloudis for 2, we refused that and booked flights only for 14days at 400pounds then paid 280euro in total for 2wks at Mathraki...no brainer!! x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 03:13:24 AM »
Such a shame. Many properties' owners find that the marketing power of the tour operators results in better occupancy (at much lower margins though) but some sort of regular income. It is ironic that when your post was just in, the Thomsons advert for Mathraki was right underneath.

But you hit the nail on the head. If it is better for Akis and all the family, they have no choice. None of us blame them.

Mathraki is a favourite of many forum folk. We had hoped to do the independent thing there next year. Oh well, let's wait and see.

Phil

Offline jogra

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 04:11:12 PM »
Strange, the Mathraki studios are actually featured on the San Stefanos Travel website to book.
jj

Booking.com